Proposal: (Leafs/Hawks) Gus for Kap

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't see it happening.
No way Chicago is moving a defender who just hit 60 points for a sub 50 point winger.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Right, and Gardiner and Hainsey won't be back, probably. So Dermott can continue to paly RD and Gus can play LD and be an improvement on Gardiner for 1/3 of the cost.

Lol he wouldn't be an improvement on Gards. Idc how many points he got.

Which LHD outside of Reilly is better than Gus?

I legit would only take him over Hainsey. Not better than Rielly or Muzzin, and I'm not convinced he's so much better than Dermott that we'd give up Kap for him.

Just isn't an organizational need. If you want Kap, the basis has to be one of Murphy/Boqvist/Jokiharju.

Reactions: Slyfox

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Lol he wouldn't be an improvement on Gards. Idc how many points he got.

I legit would only take him over Hainsey. Not better than Rielly or Muzzin, and I'm not convinced he's so much better than Dermott that we'd give up Kap for him.

Just isn't an organizational need. If you want Kap, the basis has to be one of Murphy/Boqvist/Jokiharju.
He absolutely would be an improvement over Gardiner. He's as good/bad defensively, and better offensively. And he is also much better than Dermott.

I get if they don't want Gus because he may be a bit redundant, but he is better than most of the Leafs D outside of Rielly and I could see an argument for Muzzin, but that's it.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
He absolutely would be an improvement over Gardiner. He's as good/bad defensively, and better offensively. And he is also much better than Dermott.

I get if they don't want Gus because he may be a bit redundant, but he is better than most of the Leafs D outside of Rielly and I could see an argument for Muzzin, but that's it.

I mean, sure Gus had a great season, but it was based on points, and an ability to drive xG/CF. It was good, but I do think the points might not have a chance of returning, and he was baaaad defensively.

Looking at RAPM.xGF/60, the 4 defenseman we're talking about (Gus/Gards/Derms/Muzzy) rank as follows (dash for tiers):
1. Gardiner
--
2. Gus
3. Muzzin
--
4. Dermott

Defensively (RAPM.xGA/60) they rank:
1. Gardiner
2. Dermott
3. Muzzin
--
--
4. Gus
download (8).png

download (9).png

So yeah:

1. Rielly
2. Gardiner
3. Muzzin
4. Gus
5. Dermott

But really all of Rielly/Gards/Muzzin/Gus had top-25 LD seasons.

Reactions: Slyfox

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Ok, if hes as good as you say he is. Why is a team like Chicago who struggled defensively getting rid of him?
a team will need to help a request for missing pieces that is more needed at the time.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Nope. If we're trading Kap (which is unlikely on its own) it would have to be for a similar age top-4 RHD with us potentially adding.

If it's Chicago for example, it will take one of Boqvist/Jokiharju/Murphy. Again, obviously not straight up as they all have very different values, but we really have no organizational need for anything else, and even less reason to move Kap.
Wild offersheet Kap at $4m. What does Toronto do?

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
What is more, needed for Chicago than good defenseman?
for me, it would be to start replenishing the system with players at other position with the idea they will be able to play and / or slide over to take a bigger responsibility for those secondary positions.

every player has a expiration date, need to keep an eye on that and remember it for the future of the success of an org.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Ok, if hes as good as you say he is. Why is a team like Chicago who struggled defensively getting rid of him?
Getting rid of him? Most Hawk fans don't want to trade him, and this stemmed from me saying that I don't think Gus will get you Kapanen, on the Hawks board.

Main reason there is discussion about moving him is because we have Boqvist, Mitchell, Joker and Beaudin, (along with possibly Byram) on the way really soon.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I mean, sure Gus had a great season, but it was based on points, and an ability to drive xG/CF. It was good, but I do think the points might not have a chance of returning, and he was baaaad defensively.

Looking at RAPM.xGF/60, the 4 defenseman we're talking about (Gus/Gards/Derms/Muzzy) rank as follows (dash for tiers):
1. Gardiner
--
2. Gus
3. Muzzin
--
4. Dermott

Defensively (RAPM.xGA/60) they rank:
1. Gardiner
2. Dermott
3. Muzzin
--
--
4. Gus
View attachment 217151

View attachment 217153

So yeah:

1. Rielly
2. Gardiner
3. Muzzin
4. Gus
5. Dermott

But really all of Rielly/Gards/Muzzin/Gus had top-25 LD seasons.
Yes, let's compare a guy who played on a bottom feeder team to players that played on a top 5 team with stats like that. Completely fair.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Comparing Gardiner to Gus is absurd in this context. The whole purpose of this trade would be for a team about to be extremely cap strapped to convert a strength (forward depth) into a dirt cheap asset to shore up an area they need to find an answer. Gusfason may not be the perfect answer for the Leafs, but his salary of 1.2 is. Gardiner in terms of being of the Leafs next season can not be a serious option without a massive cap move (well unless he wants to stay a Leaf for half or more like a third of his current salary).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad