Confirmed with Link: Leafs have signed W Ilya Mikheyev to a 1 year ELC

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
On the other hand, it allows Nylander to shoot more with another puck mover on his line. Would be really interesting to see how these lines would look next year:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Bracco-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Kadri-Moore

Nylander will be in Carolina's line-up, Bracco I don't think is ready to play with the big man

Reactions: New Liskeard

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Lefty who plays the right side eh...

Korshkov-Brooks-Mikheyev 4th line? Or maybe you add Marchment into the lineup? Either way thats adding some size up front which would be nice.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Thankfully, Dubas is much smarter than you and all Leaf fans that want Nylander gone.

Guaranteed if Nylander is traded and becomes a ppg winger/center, all you people that want him gone will be *****ing about trading him.
people are also going off this season, with his lackluster performance, giveaways, and that huge contract... dont blame the posters who want him gone.... we all see potential just a little pissed that he did not deliver, I hope he turns it around, but now you are just betting on potential vs results.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
people are also going off this season, with his lackluster performance, giveaways, and that huge contract... dont blame the posters who want him gone.... we all see potential just a little pissed that he did not deliver, I hope he turns it around, but now you are just betting on potential vs results.

Or he's going off 160 games of results instead of 54. The potential is just a cherry on top.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
No thanks we got enough one dimensional wingers

When you overpay your core players, you gotta look for inefficiencies in the market place and hopefully find cheap, serviceable depth players that might have an impact...unfortunately, other teams are doing it too, and they don't have to overpay their players. Dubas really has his work cut-out for himself (don't overpay your star players should have been his #1 rule) unless he could keep things quiet, which is highly doubtful, as news spread like wild fire, and what's to prevent said player from tipping other teams to drive their own price up? I see other teams will just mirror Dubas and show the same interests in the same players...let Dubas' expensive analytics department do all the work, and simply chase the same players the Leafs are chasing.

Last edited:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I'm not sure. They're mostly expected to be depth guys and that's what they have been.

Zaitsev was pretty good the first season, but hasn't progressed or maintained that level.

I actually think Z played well the last 3 weeks of the season, and was solid in the playoffs.

I think he should stay with Muzzin and both should just play D and not worry about points.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Thankfully, Dubas is much smarter than you and all Leaf fans that want Nylander gone.

Guaranteed if Nylander is traded and becomes a ppg winger/center, all you people that want him gone will be *****ing about trading him.

YES!!! THIS ^^^^^

He screwed his year this year, but I would wager he is a 70-75 point winger next year, and what will our fans be doing?

Bitching about elite winger depth lol

Well said my friend

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I actually think Z played well the last 3 weeks of the season, and was solid in the playoffs.

I think he should stay with Muzzin and both should just play D and not worry about points.

He was actually pretty good all season. Obviously some hiccups here or there, and some games where he did not look very good, but he was very consistent and played at a good level. Production obviously wasn't there until the second half, and he really started to play above himself once he got away from Gardiner and went to Muzzin/Dermott. Doesn't really surprise me... I do not think Gardiner makes any of his partners look good defensively.

I wouldn't mind keeping him. I also don't mind trading him for the right price and getting someone like Pesce to replace him. He's definitely better than HF gives him credit.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
He was actually pretty good all season. Obviously some hiccups here or there, and some games where he did not look very good, but he was very consistent and played at a good level. Production obviously wasn't there until the second half, and he really started to play above himself once he got away from Gardiner and went to Muzzin/Dermott. Doesn't really surprise me... I do not think Gardiner makes any of his partners look good defensively.

I wouldn't mind keeping him. I also don't mind trading him for the right price and getting someone like Pesce to replace him. He's definitely better than HF gives him credit.

Fully agreed

He get's in trouble when he has to do too much on his pairing.

Him and Muzz just playing D were great, and Dermott at times as well.

Reactions: teddygmr

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005

I think Z was f***ed up by having to play with BrainFart Gardiner for two years. I would imagine it's hard to play with that guy...

People also realize that the Leafs are top-heavy in terms of money invested in forwards, and Nylander is the one most likely to be moved to balance that out...

Seriously, though, I don't expect Nylander to be back with the Leafs next season. The writing was pretty much on the wall for him when the Leafs signed Tavares.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I think Z was ****ed up by having to play with BrainFart Gardiner for two years. I would imagine it's hard to play with that guy...

People also realize that the Leafs are top-heavy in terms of money invested in forwards, and Nylander is the one most likely to be moved to balance that out...

Seriously, though, I don't expect Nylander to be back with the Leafs next season. The writing was pretty much on the wall for him when the Leafs signed Tavares.

Fully agreed!

Z needed to be moved with a proper partner, and Muzz or Dermy are it.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Trading Nylander now is selling low. The smart plan is to have him rack up some numbers and then move him to get full value
I agree. Unless, you get someone in line with what would have been returned had he scored 60 points this year. Ristolainen like Nylander has underacheived but is very skilled. You could run him in as a top-3 dman for the next 10 years if all goes well. A player like that I wouldn't hesitate to move Nylander for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad