Sportsnet: Leafs have let go of Scott Pellerin (Director of Player Development)

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Freidman is lying about why he was fired, it is not realistic to suggest that the MAPLE LEAFS, of ALL teams couldn't add without restructuring financially, there is not, never has been and never will be money issues in Toronto.

If you have the Athletic go read their article.
Here is a snippet, it looks like it was cost cutting,

“(GM Kyle Dubas) had to make some tough decisions in regards to the staff and the size of our department,” Pellerin said. “He just basically said that when they looked at it all different ways, unfortunately, he wasn’t going to renew my contract. It was a very tough decision, he said, on his part.”
Pandemic-related cost-cutting may have factored in the decision.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If you have the Athletic go read their article.
Here is a snippet, it looks like it was cost cutting,

“(GM Kyle Dubas) had to make some tough decisions in regards to the staff and the size of our department,” Pellerin said. “He just basically said that when they looked at it all different ways, unfortunately, he wasn’t going to renew my contract. It was a very tough decision, he said, on his part.”
Pandemic-related cost-cutting may have factored in the decision.

I refuse to believe the Maple Leafs have money issues

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I refuse to believe the Maple Leafs have money issues

Long term for sure, but they must be running a budget this year, or executives feel they are over staffed, not sure Pellerin would lie. I assume it would be coming from “owners”. It basically sounds like if you want to add, they need to delete first.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Maple Leafs' departing player development head Scott Pellerin on philosophy, prospects, GM Kyle Dubas - The Athletic

He points to the growth of defenceman Rasmus Sandin as evidence of what happens when an organization believes in a player.

“Rasmus is an elite player. He has tremendous hockey sense, a presence in his game and he has confidence. We wanted him to continue to feel that confidence in his game. It’s just putting the players in a position to succeed. I think that’s the most important piece for him,” he said.

He offered his thoughts on two other notable Leafs prospects:

Timothy Liljegren: “He’s doing everything right. He’s got a great attitude, he’s a hard worker. I just think he’s still young. That’s one thing we forget. He’s been here for so long. But I love Timothy; he’s bought into the areas that he has to continue to work on. He just has to continue believing in himself.”

Rodion Amirov: “He’s such an intelligent player. He has a great charisma. I’m not going to lie, I’m going to miss not being able to get on the ice with him. But it will be interesting to see how he does when he ends up over here. But one of the major roles that (skills development consultant) Nik Antropov had is helping us in the integration of our Eastern European players. Nik does an incredible job.”

Pellerin is thankful for the opportunity he had to learn from those around him, including Antropov.

“I’m a better hockey person,” he said.

He also offered his thoughts on working with some key members of the Leafs staff:

Kyle Dubas, general manager: “He always gave me the opportunity to do my job and he’s supported me and that’s all you can ask for in a boss. There was never any hesitation in doing things that we needed to do that was best for the players in the organization. I think he’s one of the best general managers in the NHL. I’m amazed at how organized he is and how thoughtful he is. The way that he can take in all this information and come up with so much insight and comes to a decision, whether it’s a player or a situation. To me, that’s why he’s so intelligent: how he is able to stay organized and handle all the different responsibilities.”

Sheldon Keefe, head coach: “I’ll never forget, we had one of our first development camps in Collingwood. It was really the first time we were diving in into video, and watching the way Sheldon works, I was just amazed. The things that he was able to see, and the way he doesn’t just want the game to be played, but the way he teaches it. It’s one thing to have theories and thoughts, but the way Sheldon was able to teach and to get that information across to the player, that’s his gift. And for him to align that with the player development department, that gave us the structure that helped us develop inside his system.”

Greg Moore, Marlies head coach: “Greg has probably had two of the toughest first pro seasons of any coach. But he has a lot of experience with dealing with younger players because of his ability to see the game, relate to his players and how that he organizes his thought process. I think just has such a bright future in the coaching ranks.”

Stephane Robidas, director of player development: “So humble. He just cares about others, he genuinely cares about the player and he wants them to have success. It’s not about him. You don’t find a lot of that. A great teammate.”

Reactions: Lauro

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
MLSE probably had a billion dollars in assets that they liquidate to cover losses. There’s ZERO chance they are going in debt to cover losses from the last 2 seasons. Looking at how profitable they’ve been the last 20 years how on earth do you fathom debt? Do you think they just waste all the $ they make every year haha
Owners like Larry take their $25M dividend check every year my friend .. I'm sure it is much larger for Bell and Rogers .. yes Leafs are da cash box they always have been but quite sure past 2 years they have been bleeding RED .. not sure what assets they can sell? essentially it is largely subscribers, sponsors and box customers who make it rain for Leafs .. TV/media is only a small piece of it and i think it does not even cover player payroll .. next year it should get better with US TV deal so hopefully will cover all payroll costs .. as far as I know as a subscriber, seat license owner and arena sponsor there will be no yearly fees again next month when da large chunk of annual prepaid cash flow gets invoiced and collected .. but that could be delayed a couple months as per my MLSE rep based on COVID

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->