Sportsnet: Leafs have let go of Scott Pellerin (Director of Player Development)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yep Leafs are out of money :popcorn: How long has he been around anyways? Quite a while i think. Dubas has his own guys in mind. Development has been great. Except goaltending of course.

Reactions: Ulysses31

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yep Leafs are out of money :popcorn: How long has he been around anyways? Quite a while i think. Dubas has his own guys in mind. Development has been great. Except goaltending of course.
Well is was bound to happen ... da cash resources not there ... no ticket subscriptions, no arena sponsors .. TV/media and board sponsors only go so far .. and no way Larry is spending $$$ on borrowing .. no surprise to me .. thought would be more actually

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Now fix those responsible for the state of the power play. That seems a bit more important ahead of the playoffs.

PP was (not cumulative) top 2 in January, top 10 in February, bottom 5 in March, bottom 10 in April, but trending up. I'm really not sure the PP setup is even bad, the results have just been wonky as hell.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
They also dropped a number of amateur and one pro scout since the end of last year, as well as one guy from their Hockey Research and Development department.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Are you sure? I will call my MLSE rep and find out .. between myself and my companies I put out over 250K / year to MLSE for tickets/sponsorships and I parked for a year like most of us did.. we will see what happens in June 2021 .. really only arena sponsor, some board sponsors and media deals is all that came in $$$ this past year
So they didn’t sign a lucrative broadcasting deal in the states then :). Kind of thinking they could pay him out of couch change lol. You know like usual

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If the Leafs are out of money, does this mean a team like Arizona has to transfer money to Toronto so they can afford to pay Matthews?

Man times are tough when you throw a loonie into the cup of some beggar on the street corner and you recognize it's Larry Tanenbaum.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
MLSE doesn't have an infinite budget. It's not crazy for them to get rid of someone to open up money elsewhere.
They are collecting the same government money for business as anyone else. This is not about financial stuff. They just don’t want him. Our guys have developed well under him i believe. Dubas has his own personnel he wants in. Thats it. Nothing new to how stuff rolls in general

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If the Leafs are out of money, does this mean a team like Arizona has to transfer money to Toronto so they can afford to pay Matthews?

Man times are tough when you throw a loonie into the cup of some beggar on the street corner and you recognize it's Larry Tanenbaum.
Yep definitely we are on corporate welfare now. On the dole lol

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Are you sure? I will call my MLSE rep and find out .. between myself and my companies I put out over 250K / year to MLSE for tickets/sponsorships and I parked for a year like most of us did.. we will see what happens in June 2021 .. really only arena sponsor, some board sponsors and media deals is all that came in $$$ this past year
Are you sure you can't adopt this orphan?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yeah, I have a hard time believing that when they're still paying guys like Cliff Fletcher to do Lord knows what. This doesn't seem like a trimming the fat sort of move.
Is fletcher really still there haha. They don’t have to worry about the stuff he has on them anymore. He forgot

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
While they are cleaning house, fire the head of concessions.
Maybe when we can go back to the games, they'll have a decent beer and something like bbq instead of nachos and popcorn
Here here .. and reduce da price of a large pint from a 30 note .. crazy like 2 large pints and a couple philli steak sandwiches and u r forking out over 100 for round 1

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
They are collecting the same government money for business as anyone else. This is not about financial stuff. They just don’t want him. Our guys have developed well under him i believe. Dubas has his own personnel he wants in. Thats it. Nothing new to how stuff rolls in general

Reconstruction happens all of the time and it is not like they are not hiring new people with the money. They've cut other guys too (guys who have been around before Dubas) in scouting and other places.

Also worth noting that Stephane Robidas seems to be leaving his job as Director of Player Development (Pellerin was Senior Director) to become the new head coach of his hometown Magog Cantonniers team in the QMAAA (top AAA league for the QMJHL Quebec feeders).

Stéphane Robidas nommé entraîneur des Cantonniers

This says he previously worked for the Leafs, and I find it hard to believe he can be a head coach and Director of Player Development for us at the same time. He is not off of the website yet, but I imagine he will be relatively soon (the announcement of Robidas hiring to Magog came today).

Reactions: uncleben

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Leafs are about to make Darryl Belfry leafs exclusive.

Maybe Wickenheiser as well. Looks like there are two vacancies and they are looking for new, cheaper blood to fill in underneath them.

Would not be surprised if they are looking at hiring some new stats people as well. They said they were going to invest in it and I think they could hire some guys to bring more of a balanced perspective into their front office (i.e. know stats but also know the game so they can leverage both simultaneously). They have their list of Directors in place now who are the "experts" and they'll get a bunch of multi-faceted guys to be able to fill various holes underneath them.

It's not exactly a new organizational design concept, but it can be effective if you have the right people in place. It is hard to find people who know enough about multiple areas to fill those kinds of roles, but maybe they've found some people or are seriously looking at some now.

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad