Sportsnet: Leafs have 18.45 million in cap room this offseason

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Eat 100% of an expiring contract for a year for futures/draft pick.

Sign Tavares.

A move for now, and a move for the future.

You dont want to spend all of it on long term assets. That money will be needed in the years ahead.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I love when people use high numbers a direct comparable but never low number.

Stamkos top scoring in NHL 8.5
Nikita Kucherov 4.7
Nathan MacKinnon 6.3
Taylor Hall 6
Blake Wheeler 5.6
Brad Marchand 6.1
Johnny Gaudreau 6.75

list goes on and on but your right... Edmonton overpays and Buffalo overpays and now jimmy bob is worth 12 mil. or Matthews is worth 12 mil.

McDavid won the Heart art ross and lindsey. thats why he got 12 mil
no one else deserves it and players will start to understand when you demand that money, your team will suck and you wont be good.

Ala Edmonton and Buffalo.

Reactions: BillDineen

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think there’s a fair chance the Leafs will take on an expiring horrible contract for a sweetner, unless of course they do in fact make a hard push for JT

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
It works in other sports. Any one who signs a 1 year contract is an idiot then. even 1 year at 4 mil.. Better to sign 8 year 100 K

Your example is ridiculous and not even close to reality. Tavares is going to make north of 12 million on an 7 year deal. Max contract will be 16 ish. Is an extra 4 million dollars worth risking an 84+ million dollar deal?
The answer is obviously no... But i'm sure you will stretch your imagination to make it seem plausible.

The only sport that has significant 1 year deals is Football and that's only because of the franchise tag, which the players hate.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Your example is ridiculous and not even close to reality. Tavares is going to make north of 12 million on an 7 year deal. Max contract will be 16 ish. Is an extra 4 million dollars worth risking an 84+ million dollar deal?
The answer is obviously no... But i'm sure you will stretch your imagination to make it seem plausible.

The only sport that has significant 1 year deals is Football and that's only because of the franchise tag, which the players hate.

Actually, if a player wants to win, they should and it happens in basketball and baseball a lot too.

Also if someone offers Tavares 12 mil for 7 or 8 years (Islanders) they are out to lunch lol

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I don't see them going big for anyone really, save the cap for their own guys as they need raises.

The only thing I could see them doing is offering a crazy 1 year deal to Tavares or Carlson. Wouldn't expect either to accept it, but I would just float it out there. Maybe offer $12M to Tavares or $10M to Carlson for a single year.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yeah, it could work, but NOT "easily". That's ridiculous.

The Leafs need to pay big-time bucks to their young guys coming up, and they also need to upgrade their D-corps, to become legit contenders. That will cost serious $$. Taking on a 10-11 million dollar 2nd line Centre would be idiotic of them to do.

They are NOT the old, dumb Leafs anymore, and they DON'T need to make these dumb, big splash moves any more.

I'm confident that they will stay the course, and build their team properly, and not waste their cap space on pipe dreams.
Yeah exactly. It'd be really tight trying to fit JT and keep Matthew, Marner and Nylander. And they'd still have a questionable D in terms of being championship caliber. If they're going to spend right up to the cap and make a big push to win, spend on D and use the forward depth you already have. Or better yet just stay the course.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Nikita Kucherov 4.7
Nathan MacKinnon 6.3
Taylor Hall 6
Blake Wheeler 5.6
Brad Marchand 6.1
Johnny Gaudreau 6.75

list goes on and on but your right... Edmonton overpays and Buffalo overpays and now jimmy bob is worth 12 mil. or Matthews is worth 12 mil.

no one else deserves it and players will start to understand when you demand that money, your team will suck and you wont be good.

I love how the Same people who predict 8 for Marner and nylander and 12 for Matty are the same who argue that

1.) they are inferior players barzal, ratanen, aho, laine etc. But those players are somehow all going to take sweetheart deals.

Marner will sign for 8 but ratanen will sign for mackinnon money...... lotsa jealousy here

Matthews will be 10-10.5
Nylander 6-6.75
Marner 6.5-7.25

Depending on years. And I think it will
Be the lower end.

23-25 for your top 3 forwards is exactly what all the top teams do.... pitt, wash, Anaheim etc all went this way.

Add in a solid cast of.
Kadri at 4.5
Brown at 2.1
Hyman at 2.25
Rielly at 5
Andersen at 5

This is a great cap scenario. Only issue really is Zaitsev if he doesn’t rebound. And for 4.5 in an 80 plus cap he is only Maybe a million overpaid.

Leafs are fine.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I love how the Same people who predict 8 for Marner and nylander and 12 for Matty are the same who argue that

1.) they are inferior players barzal, ratanen, aho, laine etc. But those players are somehow all going to take sweetheart deals.

Marner will sign for 8 but ratanen will sign for mackinnon money...... lotsa jealousy here

Matthews will be 10-10.5
Nylander 6-6.75
Marner 6.5-7.25

Be the lower end.

23-25 for your top 3 forwards is exactly what all the top teams do.... pitt, wash, Anaheim etc all went this way.

Add in a solid cast of.
Kadri at 4.5
Brown at 2.1
Hyman at 2.25
Rielly at 5
Andersen at 5

This is a great cap scenario. Only issue really is Zaitsev if he doesn’t rebound. And for 4.5 in an 80 plus cap he is only Maybe a million overpaid.

Leafs are fine.

noooooo Laine is better.

Laine will sign for 5.5 mil - 6.5 mil like the others on the team

Matthews sucks ---> he will a tleast get 12-16 mil

Yup sounds familiar on these boards

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
noooooo Laine is better.

Laine will sign for 5.5 mil - 6.5 mil like the others on the team

Matthews sucks ---> he will a tleast get 12-16 mil

Yup sounds familiar on these boards

It’s incredible. Its like people don’t think that people can see the flip flopping in multiple threads. I always take a break from the boards from post deadline to the playoffs it allows for much needed break. People never change.

Regardless of if people want to believe it. The leafs are in a. Great. Not perfect scenario.

They have lots of talent coming up. 2 elite young players who can drive lines for sure and another good bet. They have had muted offense which will lower cap hits

25 mill for your top 3 forwards (prob less)
With a top 10 goalie signed for 5
A top pair d for 5
And a top six 30 goal scorer for 4.5
Great start

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton

Nikita Kucherov 4.7
Nathan MacKinnon 6.3
Taylor Hall 6
Blake Wheeler 5.6
Brad Marchand 6.1
Johnny Gaudreau 6.75

*Hart

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
What are Leaf fans hoping/expecting Nylander to sign for? I’m guessing a long term contract, like 8 years, but what about AAV?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Matthews will be 10-10.5
Nylander 6-6.75
Marner 6.5-7.25

Be the lower end.

Add in a solid cast of.
Kadri at 4.5
Brown at 2.1
Hyman at 2.25
Rielly at 5
Andersen at 5

Leafs are fine.

I think you're right. But, I wouldn't be surprise to see Marner and Nylander go for an extra million since most of the comparable you used were from when the cap was lower.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think you're right. But, I wouldn't be surprise to see Marner and Nylander go for an extra million since most of the comparable you used were from when the cap was lower.

And that might be the case. I am more of the persuasion that numbers matter more than percentages. No winger made more then ovy till kane despite the cap increase. Ehlers signed for less than Scheifele etc.

Of course I could be wrong but there is generally a bar that is set for a long time until a better player or major increase comes along

All speculation though. We will see

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh they dont really need much TBH....Signing a expensive UFA just seems wasteful for them,they will keep their cap and manage their own group of home grown tallent

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I honestly think they go hard after Tavares and give Nylander a shorter term deal for less AAV and then decide what is going on after that. In a few years if they sign Doughty or someone else or somehow get a top D and pay a ton and need the cap, move Nylander. If not, resign him long term and then you don't have to deal with all three getting a UFA contract in 7 or 8 years at the same time.

This meme of the Leafs defense being trash at this point is more annoying than anything. It's obvious who watches and understands the game being played and who doesn't. Babcock's entire system is based on getting to high scoring danger chances to put up points (or getting guys there to look for tips as the D take shots from the point) and stopping other teams from getting to those areas.

Yet these guys use shots against when they don't care how many shots are taken if they are from the top of the circles. Are they perfect defensively? No, but no team is. Calgary is apparently amazing, so is Carolina yet both have just as many gaffs as the Leafs.

The quality of the defense is vastly under represented as a way to try and downplay how good the team is. That's why I can't wait for these playoffs to start so we can win a round and start getting some respect.

Leafs defense is in no way any worse than Tampa's. Yet they are seen in another tier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->