Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Andersen has historically started slow and plays his best hockey when he is playing a lot. Can't see him starting the playoffs unless Jack nosedives and loses confidence. Freddy as a backup is great though.

Reactions: Cobra777

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I have no issues with Freddy getting a few starts down the stretch.

Campbell has earned the right to be our starter going into the playoffs, but having a healthy Andersen ready to go just in case is a positive.

Reactions: Cobra777

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
So who does Thornton pick on in this game? Four games coming up against the Habs to end the season, there has to be someone that he has lined up to harass...

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I read somewhere that if you loan him to the Marlies for a conditioning stint he starts counting on the cap at that point. I think it was an article in the Athletic.

That would likely squash that possibility but I do think they will get him into a game or 2 in games 55/56 which will essentially be meaningless games as far as the standings go anyway.
I just checked and you are right.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Do they have to clear cap space to send him on a conditional stint with the Marlies?
Are the Marlies even playing?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Want the Leafs to play well
Want the goaltending to play well
Want the PP to succeed

.. but also want to face the Habs in the first round over Calgary and Vancouver

If we are good enough to win the cup , we should be good enough to beat any 2 teams from our division, regardless of who they are.

Reactions: freshwind

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Freddy could do a AHL rehab assignment and then play the last game of the season and be deemed ready.
The problem I have with this is Freddy's penchant for being a slow starter. Wes this a long enough break to be considered starting over for him?

As far as Montreal goes a Montreal loss is ALMOST as uplifting as a TML win in my books.
LOVE-LOVE for them to miss the playoffs based on us beating them 3 of 4 down the stretch.

.936 save % in the play in round last season after a 5 month or so break. The “slow starter” was no effect last year

Reactions: NiftyMits

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Andersen can't start in the playoffs without getting a few actual games in first, he's been out too long and there's too little room for error if he comes in and clearly isn't 100%. If that means AHL starts, fine, but he needs to see game action.

He needs at least 1 NHL start if he is to start in the playoffs. I wonder if that last game vs the Jets even gets played if the standings are set for both teams? Maybe, but with backup rosters? Both games in that extra week would be ideal for him. How do we make the roster work though? I am sure captain cap (Pridham) has a plan.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Josh Anderson, he's been taking runs at our guys all season long. Somebody need to put that a-hole in his place. Just steamroll him.

Maybe Foligno wasn't a fan when they were team mates and now this is his chance to take a jab? Would win Foligno even more fans to go with the ones he already has. That or Muzzin should take that donkey out had.

Reactions: Captain14

Captain14

Jan 3, 2018
Buffalo, NY
They better be prepared for Montreal’s hacking, cheap ass style.
We have to send a message right now, they start hacking at Matthews wrist, we take out Anderson and Weber with the most flagrant cheap shots ever seen.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
They better be prepared for Montreal’s hacking, cheap ass style.
We have to send a message right now, they start hacking at Matthews wrist, we take out Anderson and Weber with the most flagrant cheap shots ever seen.
Nahhh lets not get carried away right. Matthews is a big boy. Look after yourself. They have to right on that without so much as a look to the ref. Whoever does it get on them. It draws the refs attention better than crying for a penalty

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
4 of our last 8 against Montreal... I was thinking at first that these games might be an all out war as the Habs might want to send a message going into the playoffs and although I think Montreal will be physical they can't afford to be too stupid as they need the points to actually make the playoffs... If they do lock up the last playoff spot shortly the last 2 or 3 games against them might get crazy.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Maybe Foligno wasn't a fan when they were team mates and now this is his chance to take a jab? Would win Foligno even more fans to go with the ones he already has. That or Muzzin should take that donkey out had.

It's been Muzzin (and AM) that Josh has targeted, for some reason he's focused on hitting Muz. I got zero issues with Simmonds lining up Josh on the trolley tracks and running him so hard Josh is singing I'm a little tea pot by the end of the game.

Reactions: wingman75

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We've played better as of late, but we really haven't gone off on a team, like a number of the games early in the season.

The Habs have won one game, in their last five, and three in their last ten. They are stumbling a bit.

It's time to take a team out back, and absolutely thrash them, get the PP going again, and build some swagger heading into the playoffs. We've got eight games left in the regular season, now is the time to build that momentum.

Reactions: stickty111

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I just checked and you are right.

There is this article on Pension Plan Puppets about conditioning loans from February of this year.

Understanding Conditioning Stints

Of particular, interest is the section on LTIR loans.
“LTIR” Conditioning Loan
This loan is just for players who is “on the Bona Fide Long-Term Inujry/Illness Exception” which is the thing we all call LTIR. One slight caveat of that is that for teams operating with a lot of cap space, they don’t benefit from invoking LTIR for players, and very occasionally someone who was never on LTIR is loaned under these rules. The crucial point is that this loan is for a player who has been out of playing action for 10 games and 24 days (the LTIR minimums).

The player must consent to this loan, and he is paid like he’s in the NHL still. While on this loan, the player remains on LTIR.
The loan lasts for up to six days and three games. So either maximum may trigger the end of the loan. This loan is only to determine a player’s fitness to return off of LTIR. Teams are allowed to ask for an extension of two more games, and that happens often.

Just like in the first type of the loan, the Commissioner can investigate at any time to ensure the loan is legitimate.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
ha ha, I am the opposite. I want them to miss and their fan base to be miserable.

If you could guarantee me a win in a series vs them, I'd be with you... but, you know, Leafs.
This. Winning would be incredible. But losing would be a nightmare I am not prepared for. I'd probably be deleting all social media if we lost to the Habs. Would much prefer the Flames in that sense.

Reactions: wingman75

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I read somewhere that if you loan him to the Marlies for a conditioning stint he starts counting on the cap at that point. I think it was an article in the Athletic.

That would likely squash that possibility but I do think they will get him into a game or 2 in games 55/56 which will essentially be meaningless games as far as the standings go anyway.

This was prior to the Sandin callup, so the numbers are all off by 0.894167m; Sandin too would have to be sent down :( :
Mirtle: Are the Maple Leafs engaging in 'LTIR shenanigans' with Frederik Andersen?
Leafs have (roughly) 1.3m cap space & would need to clear (roughly) 3.7m to bring in Andersen to the Leafs or Marlies (even on a conditioning stint he counts against the cap). There's a problem though, "any players who are on an NHL roster on deadline day are not eligible to be sent down to the minors or taxi squad", they however can send down Sabourin & Robertson which frees up 1.521667m cap space.

So the Leafs would still have about another 2.178333m to clear (I think it's slightly less than that but not by a whole lot), so if they want to bring back Andersen they have 2 options:

1) Add players to LTIR
2) Trade ("While the deadline has passed, this is technically allowed, although none of the players who are dealt would be allowed to play for their new organization until next season")

Bogo's 1m is on LTIR, so that number is now roughly 1.178333m; Hyman is out but only for 2+ weeks, his timeline of arrival is likely way too early to have him placed on LTIR for the remainder of the regular season unless: a) that expected injury timeline changes; or b) the Leafs do some sneaky business, unlikely.

Mirtle suggested the possibility of trading Kerfoot to Seattle which would really suck for the Leafs' playoff run. The good thing is it doesn't look like that would be necessary, it looks as though trading Engvall & his 1.25m cap hit would be the likely answer; would suck to lose him but Engvall is likely the lowest cost of bringing back Andersen back before playoffs, which isn't horrible considering the recent play of Adam Brooks, the pickup of Riley Nash (and Foligno, another capable center), & center Suomela.

Basically for Andersen to come back before playoffs, I'm pretty sure the Leafs would have to either place Hyman on LTIR for the rest of the regular season or trade Pierre Engvall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad