TSN: Leafs GM Dubas in Russia, eyeing Andronov

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Andronov is a big, physical, defensive forward. He's become a staple on the Russian National Team. He would be a fourth liner for most NHL teams, but I'm sure the idea is for him to be an 'elite' fourth liner. That contract sounds a bit rich for us and given the play of Goat and Lindholm I'm not sure why we'd spend that much just to get a little tougher.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
do we really have any qualms with how our 4th line is playing since Moore got here, or at all for that matter? I don't know if Goat is an NHL'er without help from his linemates but the unit is working well

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Dubas should be turning over every rock to find another #1 D to play with Rielly, not wasting his time watching KHL forwards!

JMHO.

Edited: Edited for those geniuses that can't read between the lines.

Last edited:

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
How is it wasting time?

You've got to have your finger in numerous pies. 1 focus on 1 job at a time means you're missing out on tricks.

free pick ups are key in our situation in the coming years. Especially if they're physical guys who can play. Make no bones, we need the physical element. If the opposition plays heavy and slows us down, we have no answer. That's gotta change.

member 147413

Dubas should be turning over every rock to find a #1 D, not wasting his time watching KHL forwards!

JMHO.
Phones exist

I’m happy our GM goes to watch plenty of hockey games, makes trips to speak with our prospects and finds upgrades/free wallets across the globe instead of weak and overpriced UFA’s.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I think Dubas and Babs love them some wingers who can play C, and some C’s on the wings.
I’m sure they’d love one c-w on each line.
For next year, Willie and Marleau fit the bill. Maybe Lindholm if he’s back. Maybe Aaltonen. Maybe this guy. Maybe someone else. Maybe Kadri even.
There’s always lotsa hockey going on on that side of the pond, so, I wouldn’t get too hung up on one name.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
While I don't doubt Dubas is taking this trip to also speak with/about other Russian players, I think this is essentially the annual trip to talk to Koshkov and his agent.

I'm not sure if he's going to come over. He said he wanted to stay a year to be one of the top players, but he's been injured most of the year.

I respect he wants to do what he accomplished in the KHL before coming over, but he sorta needs to think long-term. Coming in and working with the organization, potentially play some playoff games with the Marlies, go to our development camp, rookie camp, training camp, and then playing a top role with the Marlies is much better for his future.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
While I don't doubt Dubas is taking this trip to also speak with/about other Russian players, I think this is essentially the annual trip to talk to Koshkov and his agent.

I'm not sure if he's going to come over. He said he wanted to stay a year to be one of the top players, but he's been injured most of the year.

I respect he wants to do what he accomplished in the KHL before coming over, but he sorta needs to think long-term. Coming in and working with the organization, potentially play some playoff games with the Marlies, go to our development camp, rookie camp, training camp, and then playing a top role with the Marlies is much better for his future.

Problem is, he’s probably going to make considerably less money playing in the AHL than they would in the KHL. And I can’t see the leafs promising him a roster spot, so I don’t see a lot of motivation for him to come over right now.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Phones exist

I’m happy our GM goes to watclookingh plenty of hockey games, makes trips to speak with our prospects and finds upgrades/free wallets across the globe instead of weak and overpriced UFA’s.
Thanks Captain Obvious, I have used phones for over half a century, so, I'm well aware of their existence.

I trust that Dubas is scouting for all our needs while in Russia, however, if we're going to make a run at the cup this season, before cap armageddon next season, Dubas needs to shore up our D with a partner to play with Rielly. That should be his priority IMHO.

Last edited:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Well i don't see any path where you're wish can be fulfilled.

#1s don't drop out of the sky and neither does the needed cap space next season.
So, our team is not going on a cup run this season then?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Well, if you think Hainsey is good enough, I sure as hell don't. We need to move him down to the 3rd pair IMHO.

when you can give me any path to "a #1" as you put it

it's easy to say we need xxx

the reality of actually making that happen is entirely different.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
when you can give me any path to "a #1" as you put it

it's easy to say we need xxx

the reality of actually making that happen is entirely different.
It's not up to me, or you, to supply a path to a #1B D. That's up to Dubas, as I said in my original post in this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->