Leafs GM Dave Nonis survives MLSE purge and looks forward

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/09/27/dave_nonis_survives_mlse_purge_and_looks_forward.html

dave_nonis.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Leafs general manager Dave Nonis.

Q: What’s the biggest difference between being general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs and general manager of the Vancouver Canucks?

A: Volume (laughs). There’s great interest in Vancouver but in Toronto there’s just more. There are more fans, there’s more media, there’s more attention. There are more obligations. There’s more history. There’s just more of everything.

I think Vancouver was a good training ground for me. I think this is a place and a job that would be difficult as a first job. It’s hard enough as it is. Having that time in Vancouver was helpful for this.

Q: Do you sleep fewer hours a night now that you’re GM of the Leafs?

A: Yes.

Q: How many hours a night?

A: I’ve always tried to generate ideas and try to think of ways to improve the team. But now I wake up thinking about it.

So, probably five or six hours a night.

Q: A lot of people around here got fired in the last nine months. Why are you still here?

A: Well, you’re asking the wrong guy (laughs). I don’t know why. All we tried to do from the moment I took the job was to make decisions in the best interests of this team. Not the best interests of me personally. You do that and I believe you’re ultimately going to be taken care of yourself.

We’re one of the youngest teams in the league, we’re probably going to remain one of the youngest teams for a while, and I needed to know is everyone OK with that? I know now that everyone is on board with that direction.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I bet he'd jump ship if he got the right opportunity.

I know I wouldn't want to work for that arrogant ***** Leiweke.

Palmateer

Routine kick save
Jan 27, 2012
Personally am very happy he is our GM. I think a lot of him as a GM and as a person. Glad he's at the helm of my favourite team. He'll deserve the success when it comes, and I think it will.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He's not wrong...this would be a terrible first job if you're not lucky. JFJ will probably never be a GM again (even though he was in consideration for the CBJ job) because of the job he did over here.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He's not wrong...this would be a terrible first job if you're not lucky. JFJ will probably never be a GM again (even though he was in consideration for the CBJ job) because of the job he did over here.

What's really bad is that JFJ was just a puppet for Peddie. He really wasn't allowed to move in a proper direction. Painful to witness.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
If we lost Franson I have been pissed. We didn't good job Nonis.

I liked Grabo along with many others but he simply didn't have much chemistry with our top liners. To much money for a 3rd line center.

Ace88*

I like Nonis the man. I dont like Nonis the Gm si much, but getting kadri and franson signed when everyone cried implausibilities was redeeming.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I bet he'd jump ship if he got the right opportunity.

I know I wouldn't want to work for that arrogant ***** Leiweke.

You say arrogance, others say confidence and drive to win. Being the general manager of the wealthiest and most popular NHL team in the league isn't for everyone but I believe this is the right place for Nonis.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
He's still very new into the position of being THE face of the front office but so far I've been more pleased with his work than concerned. Time will tell what we have with him at the helm but he seems very intent on preaching patience to the fans.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
Can't quote the line from my phone but found it sort of interesting where he said about doin what's best for the team and not what's best for him personally or whatever. Maybe I'm reading too far into it but that has Burkes personality written all over it.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
How to survive a purge?

1. Trade for the goalie recommended by your new boss.
2. Sign your new boss' son in law.
3. Be the first GM in 9 years to qualify for the playoffs and the only one of the Raptors, TFC and the Maple Leafs to qualify for the playoffs.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
nonis is the anti burke.

Absolutely, we went from team USA to team Canada. I can't remember the last time we had this many Canadians on the team, probably the 70's. I bet we'd have to go back to the 60's to find this many players from the GTA.

BayStreetBullies*

Absolutely, we went from team USA to team Canada. I can't remember the last time we had this many Canadians on the team, probably the 70's. I bet we'd have to go back to the 60's to find this many players from the GTA.

Or you could look no further than the 90s up until 03/04, not just necessarily players from the GTA. In all honesty, who cares where they're from? I thought the goal was to win the Stanley Cup.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Or you could look no further than the 90s up until 03/04, not just necessarily players from the GTA. In all honesty, who cares where they're from? I thought the goal was to win the Stanley Cup.

Yeah you're correct but having hometown guys on the team just makes it more special in my opinion. I think many fan bases feel the same, you can see it anytime a prospect comes from their town. Ie. Zach Paris coming home etc.

BayStreetBullies*

Yeah you're correct but having hometown guys on the team just makes it more special in my opinion. I think many fan bases feel the same, you can see it anytime a prospect comes from their town. Ie. Zach Paris coming home etc.

I don't think the Leafs were ever a team that was in danger of losing its Canadian identity, even when Burke was GM.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
nonis is the anti burke.

You're right about this, but it's not something to be proud of. Nonis is a *****. He shys away from the big moves and instead goes for little moves that he hopes to pay off. This is exemplified by the fact that he thinks Tyler Bozak will be a 1C for 5 years.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Purging is only required to remove your unwantables, so Nonis was never in any danger of being dismissed.

In fact purging was initiated in order to promote him in expectations of better results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad