Leafs Future Stacked with Canadians

True North One

Feb 7, 2013
Vancouver
He is also likely to hate the Leafs. Ya know since Ottawa and Montreal are a thing.

What are you talking about man? What does Montreal have to do with anything? And not very many people "grew up" watching the Sens, they have only been in the league a short time.

Oh and i may be a rookie on these boards and looks like you are too, but you seem like the guy who would get banned from HF Boards then make up a new email and create a new account with all your negativity youre spewing.

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
So, are you going to tell me that guys like Salming and Sundin didn't play with heart for the Leafs?

The game is different now, way different. They played with alot of heart, no doubt.

As a poster before me said, you take 2 players with same talent born in different county's, you take the Ontario born player. He most likely grew up a leaf fan.

jughead42*

Grabo is from Belarus not Russia.
Komarov was born in Estonia and raised in Finland.

But what's the difference where a player comes from?

Personally I think the birth certificate is irrelevant, however I do believe the North American development system produces players better suited to playing the NHL game. I certainly value CHL and to a lesser degree USNDP/College development over the european systems. Guys like Landeskog who came over to the CHL had the benefit of developing on the regulation ice, with a pro style regular season and playoff schedule. They know what kind of a grind it is to go through a regular season and then 4 best of 7's before they even get to the NHL. It better develops the habits needed to compete every night which is conducive to winning in the NHL.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
So you dont think Europeans kids dream about winning the Stanley Cup? That´s like saying South Americans kids dont dream about winning the Champions League in Europe (football). In todays day and age when every game in every sport can be viewed around the globe and forums like this one and others connect local fans of teams with foreign ones those dreams knows no borders.

What im saying is Canadians care more about winning the stanley cup.

@ carlyle. look up every cup winning team and guarantee there are more canadians than eruopeans (inb4 there are more Canadians in the league, and thats because they are better... simple as that. (u need a stat to prove that? look up 2010 winter olympics)

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
with all the rookie users in here there is just so many trolls......

its like fans of other teams make accounts to troll leaf fans... sad (this is @ u carlyle)

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
So you dont think Europeans kids dream about winning the Stanley Cup? That´s like saying South Americans kids dont dream about winning the Champions League in Europe (football). In todays day and age when every game in every sport can be viewed around the globe and forums like this one and others connect local fans of teams with foreign ones those dreams knows no borders.

Why would South Americans dream about winning in Europe when they're more interested in winning World Cups since they're just as elite as anywhere else (Brazil?)

Hockey is different because it's only number one in Canada. Everywhere else in the world hockey is distant to soccer and any other number of sports. I think us as Canadians don't realize how niche hockey is....

stamkos

Jun 30, 2011
ontario gta
Good, let's be real we are usually tougher, we are winners, & want it more. Don't mind a little mix, but not a fan of any Russian on the team. Don't want them drafted either.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
National pride will always be a intangible factor, above and beyond hockey ability as it brings out another aspect in a hockey player in both motivation and determination.

Mats Sundin as good as he was, carried his country's team to greater international success than he ever did the Leafs. One can not refute that National pride played a big factor in that, and elevated his performance.

So in a country Canada where Hockey is its #1 sport and Toronto its biggest city with the Nations largest fan base it only goes to reason that tapping into National pride would be a huge benefit for everyone involved.

"Build it and they will come" Canadian based team building approach (where possible on merit) will set the table once again for players to want to come home to country and help elevate and restore the Leafs to greatness.

Since Canada produces over 50% of the NHL players it shouldn't really be hard to tap into National pride aspect when team building particularly for Canadian based teams.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
National pride will always be a intangible factor, above and beyond hockey ability as it brings out another aspect in a hockey player in both motivation and determination.

Mats Sundin as good as he was, carried his country's team to greater international success than he ever did the Leafs. One can not refute that National pride played a big factor in that, and elevated his performance.

So in a country Canada where Hockey is its #1 sport and Toronto its biggest city with the Nations largest fan base it only goes to reason that tapping into National pride would be a huge benefit for everyone involved.

"Build it and they will come" Canadian based team building approach (where possible on merit) will set the table once again for players to want to come home to country and help elevate and restore the Leafs to greatness.

Since Canada produces over 50% of the NHL players it shouldn't really be hard to tap into National pride aspect when team building particularly for Canadian based teams.

You mean that national team that had Lundqvist as the goalie, Lidstrom as the #1 D, Forsberg as #2 C and players like Zetterberg to give support? I actually think Sundins Leafs career is a bit more impressive then his international career even do he always played well for Tre Kronor and won gold at both the Olympics and the World Cup.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Long time reader, first time poster. I was looking at our current roster recently and decided to take a deeper look at our whole organazation. I knew Burke had a preference to draft North American born players but was surprised on how loaded our team was with canadian boys. I have always loved the way Chicago and Anaheim have been built with a ton of canadian kids. Here is a quick break down of who we have currently and who coming up through the system.

Leafs:

15 - CDN
6 - USA
3 - RUS (Grabo, Komarov & Kulemin)
1 - GER
1 - SWE

Marlies/Junior/Europe:

23 - CDN
10 - USA
4 - SWE
1 - FIN

Overall im really excited about the furutre as i truly believe you have a better chance of winning if you have more canadians on your team.

Ottawa's done awfully well in Sweden.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
lolwat :laugh:

I don't have the statistics, so I'm not going to argue, however what you said is irrelevant to my point.

The point flew way over your head. The good 'ol Ontario boy may have been a fan of the Sens or the Habs so why would that good 'ol Ontario boy appreciate playing for the Leafs more than a Euro.

with all the rookie users in here there is just so many trolls......

its like fans of other teams make accounts to troll leaf fans... sad (this is @ u carlyle)

carlyle is making more sense in this thread than the regulars

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Sounds all fine and good until it comes time to actually do something about it. All things being equal, of course you take the good 'ol Canadian boy, but all things are never equal, and you should never take an inferior player just because of their nationality, so the whole point is moot and doesn't actually go anywhere.

I just don't see how you do it practically.

Last edited:

ALine

May 14, 2012
The point flew way over your head. The good 'ol Ontario boy may have been a fan of the Sens or the Habs so why would that good 'ol Ontario boy appreciate playing for the Leafs more than a Euro.

carlyle is making more sense in this thread than the regulars
Considering MTL isn't in Ontario, and the Sens have only been around since 92, the chances of them growing up watching the leafs is quite a bit more than than Ott or MTL. Even more so if that player is from he Golden Horseshoe.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sounds all fine and good until it comes time to actually do something about it. All things being equal, of course you take the good 'ol Canadian boy, but all things are never equal, and you should never take an inferior player just because of their nationality, so the whole point is moot and doesn't actually go anywhere.

I just don't see how you do it practically.

Putting American Connolly in the minors and promoting Ontario boy Kadri, while placing US born Komisarek and Liles in the pressbox while inserting Ontario boys Fraser and Kostka has in practical terms made the Leafs more Canadian oriented by the process. Ontario boy McClement has made American Steckel a spare part on his way out.. ;)

Last edited:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Putting American Connolly in the minors and promoting Ontario boy Kadri, while placing US born Komisarek and Liles in the pressbox while inserting Ontario boys Fraser and Kostka has in practical terms made the Leafs more Canadian oriented by the process. Ontario boy McClement has made American Steckel a spare part on his way out.. ;)

Those line-up changes were made because the Canadians in question are better players than the Americans in question. If Kadri was a Swede and McClement was a Czech, the same changes would/should have been made. It's not like being Canadian gave them super-powers.

You haven't answered my concern at all.

Here's a hypothetical. You're a GM who has decided that having a more Canadian team is the way to go. You get to the draft table, and when it comes time for your first pick, BPA is unanimously a Swede according to every ranking and scout worth their salt. Next round, a Finn has dropped a few spots and is the obvious BPA. Next round, same thing with a Czech player.

How do you become more Canadian? Obviously picking those players goes against your new "Moar Canadian" philosophy.

I'm trying to figure out how you work this idea into the decision making process.

Last edited:

ALine

May 14, 2012
BPA is subjective to every individual. Not saying This is a good example, but last draft, Burkie said he would have taken Morgan 1st overall, Canadian over the Russian. Right up to draft day, most years, there is still uncertainty on the general draft order. And if players are dropping, there wouldn't be the obvious BPA, there would be serious questions about his game. Also takes into consideration that not everyone's draft strategy is best player available. Teams' needs sometime play a large part in who is picked. Think of J. Staal going 1st overall. Fits Pittsburgs needs more than Toews, who was projected to be the better player (and had some school commitments iirc?). They needed someone more Nhl ready. For this example lets pretend Toews is American, mmkay. ;)

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
BPA is subjective to every individual. Not saying This is a good example, but last draft, Burkie said he would have taken Morgan 1st overall, Canadian over the Russian. Right up to draft day, most years, there is still uncertainty on the general draft order. And if players are dropping, there wouldn't be the obvious BPA, there would be serious questions about his game. Also takes into consideration that not everyone's draft strategy is best player available. Teams' needs sometime play a large part in who is picked. Think of J. Staal going 1st overall. Fits Pittsburgs needs more than Toews, who was projected to be the better player (and had some school commitments iirc?). They needed someone more Nhl ready. For this example lets pretend Toews is American, mmkay. ;)

The fact that prospect evaluation isn't an exact science doesn't justify purposefully selecting an inferior player just because they are Canadian.

ALine

May 14, 2012
It isn't taking an inferior players purposefully if they believe said player is superior.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Those line-up changes were made because the Canadians in question are better players than the Americans in question. If Kadri was a Swede and McClement was a Czech, the same changes would/should have been made. It's not like being Canadian gave them super-powers.

You haven't answered my concern at all.

Here's a hypothetical. You're a GM who has decided that having a more Canadian team is the way to go. You get to the draft table, and when it comes time for your first pick, BPA is unanimously a Swede according to every ranking and scout worth their salt. Next round, a Finn has dropped a few spots and is the obvious BPA. Next round, same thing with a Czech player.

How do you become more Canadian? Obviously picking those players goes against your new "Moar Canadian" philosophy.

I'm trying to figure out how you work this idea into the decision making process.

In the 2009 entry draft Leafs drafted NO Euros and when Burke was asked about that he said that wasn't by accident but design controlling the process.

Each teams scouts determine the selections based on the GM the criteria provides. Best player available is subjective and can be made based on who a team prefers where no one outside the war room will ever know the official reasoning behind it.

Also over 50% of the players in the NHL are Canadians and the OHL league itself provides more NHL players to the league then any/most other countries even, so law of averages suggest that every team is going to draft Canadian for the most part simply because of where that talent population is coming from. So you don't have to go out of your way to accomplish this even if one desired to.

However team building extends beyond the draft and when trades and UFA signings are concerned a GM controls who he goes after as personal choice.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
In the 2009 entry draft Leafs drafted NO Euros and when Burke was asked about that he said that wasn't by accident but design controlling the process.

... because you love the way Burke did things, right?

Each teams scouts determine the selections based on the GM the criteria provides. Best player available is subjective and can be made based on who a team prefers where no one outside the war room will ever know the official reasoning behind it.

Also over 50% of the players in the NHL are Canadians and the OHL league itself provides more NHL players to the league then any/most other countries even, so law of averages suggest that every team is going to draft Canadian for the most part simply because of where that talent population is coming from. So you don't have to go out of your way to accomplish this even if one desired to.

However team building extends beyond the draft and when trades and UFA signings are concerned a GM controls who he goes after as personal choice.

I can't buy it. If you give yourself permission to bias towards a particular country because scouting etc. is inaccurate enough to let you get away with it, get better scouts, do more research and try harder to pick the better player. Don't just give up and pick your buddies out of personal preference. Seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad