GDT: Leafs@Flyers 7PM SNO (8:08 puck drop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
DT0zjjLWsAErIut.jpg:large

Thursday NHL game preview: Toronto Maple Leafs at Philadelphia Flyers

Flyer Sean Couturier on fire with Leafs coming to town.
Thursday NHL game preview: Toronto Maple Leafs at Philadelphia Flyers | Toronto Star

couturier_flyers.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x656.jpg

Sean Couturier, on pace for 40 goals-plus, and the Flyers host the Maple Leafs on Thursday night. (Elsa / GETTY IMAGES)

By Mark ZwolinskiSports Reporter
Wed., Jan. 17, 2018

WELLS FARGO CENTER
FACEOFF:
7 p.m.
TV: Sportsnet
RADIO: TSN 1050
KEY PLAYERS
Couturier/Marner
Sean Couturier of the Flyers is on a tear, with seven goals in his last five games. He has reached a career-high 25 goals and is on pace to surpass 40, a formidable force on a Flyers team that is climbing the standings after a terrible November in which they lost 10 straight games. Mitch Marner is among the Leafs on the hot seat during an offensive cold snap and badly needs a breakout game.
NEED TO KNOW
The Flyers had a four-game win streak snapped by the Rangers on Tuesday night. . . . Claude Giroux leads Philly with 54 points, tied for second among NHL scorers heading into Wednesday night’s action. He’s also second to teammate Jakub Voracek (45) in assists with 40. . . . Giroux reached 700 games as a Flyer on Tuesday, just the 10th in franchise history, and passed Mark Recchi for 11th on the Flyers’ career scoring list with 629 . . . The Flyers will retire hall of famer and former captain Eric Lindros’ jersey prior to this game. Lindros spent eight years in Philly, and played 33 games for the Leafs late in his career . . . The Flyers are just six points behind Toronto and three points out of a wild-card berth . . . Flyer Wayne Simmonds, a Toronto native, extended his points streak to five games with an assist Tuesday.
UP NEXT
Saturday at Ottawa Senators, 7 p.m.

Flyers-Maple Leafs preview: Philly trying to sweep season series

Updated: January 18, 2018 — 8:03 AM EST
Flyers-Maple Leafs preview: Philly trying to sweep season series

dixon-335299-f-wp-content-uploads-2018-01-538570scr_19899939104b290-e1516250127729-937x625.jpg

KIM / Staff Photographer
Former Flyer James van Riemsdyk is having another outstanding season for Toronto,

by Sam Carchidi, STAFF WRITER @BroadStBull | [email protected]
Maple Leafs (25-17-4) at Flyers (20-16-8)

COVERAGE: @BroadStBull and @samdonnellon on Twitter.
KEY PLAYERS: Another game, another team trying to end a three-game losing streak when they face the Flyers.
The Rangers did just that on Tuesday, whipping the visiting Flyers, 5-1.
Now Toronto will try to get back on track. The Leafs have just two victories in their last eight games (2-3-3) and have dropped three straight.
With a win, the Flyers would sweep the season series with Toronto for just the second time in the last 20 years.
Toronto, 1-4 in its last five games against Eastern Conference opponents, has gotten 19 goals from Auston Matthews and former Flyer James van Riemsdyk. Patrick Marleau, 38, who is in his first year with the Maple Leafs after a sensational career with San Jose, has chipped in with 15 goals.
Goalie Frederik Anderson is 22-13-3 with a 2.67 goals-against average and a .922 save percentage.
Michal Neuvirth is expected to make a rare start for the Flyers, who are 4-0 in their last four games against teams with a winning record. Neuvirth, who has made just nine starts during an injury-plagued season, is 3-5-1 with a 2.39 GAA and .923 save percentage.
All-star left winger Claude Giroux (54 points), Jake Voracek (53 points), and Sean Couturier (career-high 25 goals) are among the NHL leaders. Defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere has nine goals and 32 points in 40 games.
THINGS TO KNOW: Eric Lindros’ No. 88 will be retired in ceremonies that begin at 7 p.m. On Friday, Lindros will be reunited with Legion of Doom teammates John LeClair and Mikael Renberg as they play on a Flyers alumni team in an outdoor matchup against former Hershey Bears. The game will be played at Hersheypark Stadium…..Wayne Simmonds has a five-game point streak……On Tuesday, the Leafs allowed a goal with 57 seconds left, then lost in overtime to St. Louis, 2-1…..Toronto just finished a 2-2-2 homestand.
HEAD TO HEAD:
The Flyers lead the overall series, 96-57-22-4, including a pair of 4-2 wins this season. This is the final regular-season meeting between the teams in 2017-18,

GAMEDAY: Maple Leafs at Flyers
Terry KoshanMore from Terry Koshan
GAMEDAY: Maple Leafs at Flyers

905810036_61438954-e1516284305511.jpg

Auston Matthews #34 of the Toronto Maple Leafs skates against the St. Louis Blues during an NHL game at the Air Canada Centre on January 16, 2018 in Toronto. (Claus Andersen/Gety Images)

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (25-17-4) at PHILADELPHIA FLYERS (20-16-8)
7 p.m., Wells Fargo Center, Sportsnet, TSN Radio 1050

BIG MATCHUP
Auston Matthews vs. Sean Couturier

If Flyers coach Dave Hakstol matches Sean Couturier against Auston Matthews, the 20-year-old Leaf will have to be on his toes. Couturier made his foray into the NHL as a smart defensive centre, and now he has gone on the offensive, scoring 25 goals already (long ago eclipsing his previous career high of 15). While Matthews has gone three games without a point, he appears to be ready to bust out, and it could be a tense battle if Couturier is his counterpart.
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
1. Fall in line

It’s doubtful a swap of Dominic Moore into the lineup in place of Frederik Gauthier will lead to an onslaught of offence for the Maple Leafs. Coach Mike Babcock has dug in his heels, meaning there won’t be major line changes. He’s confident his players can move forward mentally from three one-goal losses. It’s up to them to prove their boss right.
2. Calling on Kadri
In 18 career games against the Flyers, Nazem Kadri has 14 points (five goals and nine assists). How badly do you think Kadri would like to get on the scoresheet? One goal in 17 games. No assists in his past 20 games, or more than a quarter of the season. Something has to give. There’s no question Kadri has been disappointing for a while.
3. Giroux’s 30 in 30
The Leafs would be wise to play close attention to Claude Giroux for a few reasons. With 54 points, only Tampa’s Nikita Kucherov had more prior to Wednesday, and Giroux enjoys playing Toronto. He has 30 points in 30 games versus the Leafs, one of 10 NHL teams against which he averages at least one point a game.
4. Beat the backup
The Leafs will get a look at Flyers backup Michal Neuvirth, who will make his second start since the end of November. Neuvirth has faced the Leafs 17 times in his career (only against Florida has he seen more action) and has gone 9-5-1 with a .902 save percentage. It’s crucial for the Leafs that Neuvirth does not get comfortable.
5. Close doesn’t count
While the Leafs have had their problems closing out games recently, the Flyers aren’t great in close matches themselves, recording just five wins in one-goal games, tied for fewest in the NHL. We’ve said it a lot, but it’s imperative for the Leafs to begin well. Their 48 first-period goals are second in the NHL; the Flyers’ 30 in the first was 29th.
MAPLE LEAFS LINES
LW-C-RW

Zach Hyman-Auston Matthews-William Nylander
Patrick Marleau-Nazem Kadri-Leo Komarov
James van Riemsdyk-Tyler Bozak-Mitch Marner
Matt Martin-Dominic Moore-Connor Brown
Defence pairs
Morgan Rielly-Ron Hainsey
Jake Gardiner-Connor Carrick
Travis Dermott-Roman Polak
Goaltenders
Frederik Andersen
Curtis McElhinney
FLYERS LINES
LW-C-RW

Claude Giroux-Sean Couturier-Travis Konecny
Michael Raffl-Valtteri Filppula-Jakub Voracek
Jordan Weal-Nolan Patrick-Wayne Simmonds
Taylor Leier-Scott Laughton-Jori Lehtera
Defence pairs
Ivan Provorov-Shayne Gostisbehere
Robert Hagg-Andrew MacDonald
Brandon Manning-Radko Gudas
Goaltenders
Michal Neuvirth
Brian Elliott
INJURIES
Flyers — None.
Maple Leafs — D Nikita Zaitsev (lower body), LW Nikita Soshnikov (lower body).
SPECIAL TEAMS
Power play

Flyers: 21.4% (8th)
Maple Leafs: 20.9% (10th)
Penalty kill
Flyers: 74.5% (29th)
Maple Leafs: 84.0% (5th)

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I am excited and disheartened at the same time about this game.

Excited because leafs are playing

Disheartened because leafs are playing the same line up and roster

#mixed-emotions

Reactions: ToMaLe and PuckMagi

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I was honestly more excited to watch games back in the Kessel days.

I was never really the type of person to complain about coaching.

I was always overly optimistic about the Leafs even when they were bad.

It's just painful watching Babcock castrate such a talented offense.

I've waited so long for a roster like this... and it's just painful watching it all be squandered by a HORRIBLE coach.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Overrated really.
Matthews sure.
Hope for the youth .. sure.
Everyone else ? Not convinced.

Who cares anyway ? We should learn a good system this year. Something to help win in a few years.

Til then. "We aint taking 4 games from Tampa".

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto

I've waited so long for a roster like this... and it's just painful watching it all be squandered by a HORRIBLE coach.

Horrible is too much... The other rebuild teams sure, that can be the adjective.

But 5th in the east, and been in Playoff spot all year for a 2nd year rebuild despite the recent slumps?

hehe, not horrible man... it aint that

Go leafs go!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
is this game really at seven. or is it at 8 because of the ceremony, i've heard is going to take 2 hrs.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

oh good grief. and I thought I was melodramatic.
Babcock is not horrible, he's not castrating the offense, and it will be better.

Reactions: deepz

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's fitting that the Big E is getting his number retired on a night when his hometown club is in town.

Deep down inside, we all know he'll be rooting for the Leafs to win, haha.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's fitting that the Big E is getting his number retired on a night when his hometown club is in town.

Deep down inside, we all know he'll be rooting for the Leafs to win, haha.
It's not a coincidence.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
oh good grief. and I thought I was melodramatic.
Babcock is not horrible, he's not castrating the offense, and it will be better.

I think it's 100% valid to criticize some of the decisions being made but it's starting to get out of control and snowball with everyday that goes by. I really never thought people would be this against Babcock this early in his contract! haha

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
December was suppose to be the "tough" part of Leafs schedule and so coming home for a 6 game home stand was suppose to fuel success by a "easy" schedule now.

Of those 6 games Leafs could only muster 2 X SO wins (thanks to Bozak) and losing 4 of 6.

So now they hit the road again and they had better get this turned around soon as winning only 5 of last 15 games is not going to keep a playoff spot secure.

Philly is nipping at a WC spot only a few points out so will be hungry and motivated tonight, and Leafs better be ready because this could also be getting physical as well.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I think it's 100% valid to criticize some of the decisions being made but it's starting to get out of control and snowball with everyday that goes by. I really never thought people would be this against Babcock this early in his contract! haha

honestly, it doesn't need to be pointed out eleventyzillion times a day. like. honestly. and while least, someone wants to go, "omg blaming the fans, omg Babcock can handle criticism." - I would rather have the Leafs struggle the way they are, and they're still competitive and developing relatively well, then being yet another tire fire like other teams who started tearing things down at the same time. like. there literally could be worse things than the team's offense not clicking right now. ie: we could be dead last again, or we could have all the gong-show atmosphere here again.

Griping and complaining already?
:facepalm:

#makegdtgreatagain

right? geeze.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I had Ivan Provorov #4 on my 2015 predraft final rankings board (behind only McDavid/Eichel/Barzal) as BPA and the best Dman of his draft class, and one of the players I thought the Leafs might take with their pick.

The young Dman is already playing 24-26 top pairing minutes so it will be interesting to see him against my Leafs tonight. Leafs could really use a young stud Dman like him. IMO

In head to head to games its always fun to evaluate players so Marner going up against Provorov is a game within a game for me.. Leafs passing on Konecny at #24 and trading back for Dermott is also another subplot tonight under the "what might have been, if things were different" category.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
is this game really at seven. or is it at 8 because of the ceremony, i've heard is going to take 2 hrs.
I've never understood why they dont hold ceremonies like 15-20 minutes before the scheduled time. Good for Lindros on a great career but I couldn't care less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad