Leafs Fans your thoughts about the Leafs 2018-2019

I think that Leafs....

• Total voters

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
How? By not re-signing Komarov? By trading Martin?

Spine out, spine in. He did nothing. He also negotiated soft with Nylander. Caved for Matthews contract. Now Marner through his agent whined. The team does not stick up for one another.

Character is contagious.

Kadri with strong wings, 30\30. Kadri with wimps... I don't even notice him. This is the Kadri that said he loved playing with Orr and Mc.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Just seems like some are ok with bowing out in the playoffs early because of washington, injuries, Boston is good, still a work in progress etc etc

Nothing to do with being ok with them losing.

Some of us just think it's weird that the leafs taking a higher seeded team to the 3rd period of game 7 (or the top team in the league to 6gms with 5 OTs the year before) is being used to claim that there is some kind of major fatal character flaw with the team.

Reactions: Loosie and IBeL34f

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
My thoughts are that we are in our awkward teenage phase, with gangly limbs that have outgrown our former frame.

We're schroedinger's hockey team - At once uber-talented, one of the best in the League, and yet still developing and growing.

All the pieces are there, but we've not yet emerged from the chrysalis in our final form.

Reactions: Gsh

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Well Zeke, according to some posters here, we have the best roster, the best coach, and the best GM ever, so....

If you're going with that hyperbole, then I'll retort with:

Well dsred according to some posters here, this is the worst roster the NHL has ever seen, the worst and the worst GM ever.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
If you're going with that hyperbole, then I'll retort with:

Well dsred according to some posters here, this is the worst roster the NHL has ever seen, the worst and the worst GM ever.
Now yer gettin' it!

So where's the middle?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Now yer gettin' it!

So where's the middle?

That this is a good Leafs team that is going to set some franchise records, and people are acting that the sky is falling after any loss.

Are we perfect? No. Can improvements been made? Yes! The issue is the negatives by some posters here is swung so far to oneside that those of us that tend to be positive do also tend to swing the other way to counter that.

Some of us just think it's weird that the leafs taking a higher seeded team to the 3rd period of game 7 (or the top team in the league to 6gms with 5 OTs the year before) is being used to claim that there is some kind of major fatal character flaw with the team.

This is something people need to understand. Losing sucks. But there is also expectations. This is the 3rd year this core is going into the playoffs and it's a clash with Boston again in the first round. These two teams will be in the top 5-ish (yes the Leafs are currently 6th, but have a game in hand on 5th place) yet they will face off in the first round. Someone will be disappointed, but should we lose, I don't think it would be an indictment on this team unless we get blown away in 4 straight.

If it goes 7 again and we lose, it would suck, it would be a failure, but it's not a case of needing to fire everyone and rebuild. Our window is just starting. It seems people want the Cup today or else!

Matthews is getting criticized for appear to not care, because people look at the stat sheet, or his effort looks poor because he so naturally gifted. Nylander had a holdout and because of that people want him gone. His start to the season was glacial, but he's turned the corner, and is looking really good right now. Yet people want to harp on the fact that he started slow.

The contracts talks have put a pall over what's be a really good regular season, again one that might very well end up being a franchise best once the season is done (which would be the 2nd season in a row for that). But people are afraid of Big Bad Boston because of two series over the past few years that didn't go our way.

Enjoy the ride. Their will be ups and downs, not everything is going to roses, but we are hardly in the dire situation that some posters here want to put us in.

....end incoherent rant.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

Nobody has said that. Anywhere. But losing in the first round isn't anything to hang your hat on. And it won't be this year either.

A team with fatal character flaws would be more like Burke and Nonis' rotten core teams - the teams you perennially declared playoff worthy back in the day.

I don't think anyone is pessimistic enough to compare them to that garbage yet so calm your worries.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
That this is a good Leafs team that is going to set some franchise records, and people are acting that the sky is falling after any loss.

Are we perfect? No. Can improvements been made? Yes! The issue is the negatives by some posters here is swung so far to oneside that those of us that tend to be positive do also tend to swing the other way to counter that.

This is something people need to understand. Losing sucks. But there is also expectations. This is the 3rd year this core is going into the playoffs and it's a clash with Boston again in the first round. These two teams will be in the top 5-ish (yes the Leafs are currently 6th, but have a game in hand on 5th place) yet they will face off in the first round. Someone will be disappointed, but should we lose, I don't think it would be an indictment on this team unless we get blown away in 4 straight.

If it goes 7 again and we lose, it would suck, it would be a failure, but it's not a case of needing to fire everyone and rebuild. Our window is just starting. It seems people want the Cup today or else!

Matthews is getting criticized for appear to not care, because people look at the stat sheet, or his effort looks poor because he so naturally gifted. Nylander had a holdout and because of that people want him gone. His start to the season was glacial, but he's turned the corner, and is looking really good right now. Yet people want to harp on the fact that he started slow.

The contracts talks have put a pall over what's be a really good regular season, again one that might very well end up being a franchise best once the season is done (which would be the 2nd season in a row for that). But people are afraid of Big Bad Boston because of two series over the past few years that didn't go our way.

Enjoy the ride. Their will be ups and downs, not everything is going to roses, but we are hardly in the dire situation that some posters here want to put us in.

....end incoherent rant.

That was about as far from incoherent as can be and spot on. The best and most realistic take in this entire thread.

Reactions: Cams and Loosie

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

....end incoherent rant.
Don't want to do a point by point but suffice it to say I disagree with a lot of it.If a "franchise record" 140th best point season ever impresses you that's ok but comparing that "achievement" to other mediocre Leafs teams sure doesn't impress me. That bar is kinda low.

No one said fire everyone if we lose in the first round, just Babcock.

A "slow build" isn't the be all end all. In fact there are no guarantees of an upward trajectory at all. You gotta strike while the iron is hot. Hell Babcock even said so himself. At least that's one thing he gets.

One more thing. Just because people criticize the team it doesn't mean they aren't "enjoying the ride". They are just enjoying it a little differently than you.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
To me we're still rebuilding, our core is talented but we're not ready yet. It will be interesting to see if/how the team gets tweaked and augmented with 5-10 players (hopefully) over the next few years that will give us better balance and the ability to play the game different ways. The good thing is the hardest part of the rebuild is done due to the Nylander/Marner/Matthews drafts to go along with Rielly,Dermott and a few others...We have a good goalie to go forward with and a few more coming one of which will hopefully develop into a good starter down the road. I am not a Babcock fan and although he is a good coach I don't think he's the right guy for a younger,developing team.Despite them not being ready yet that doesn't mean they can't compete in the playoffs this year and next. If Freddy gets hot and the team decides to compete and we get a few bounces we can win a round or two but I'm looking at the 2020/2021 as our true starting point. So to use an old saying my expectations are modest but my hopes are high for the next two seasons.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
solved easily

Nylander for Khaira and Kassian + Edmonton 1st this year or next

The problems come from support. Brown AJ Marleau Ennis... Those slots tilted with more aggressive players alone would help a lot. I like AJ and Ennis just fine but we have enough of that, they need players that have energy and want to win at all costs. Players that will defend stars and throw hits to make plays or break cycles

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Here's some actual, real, objective perspective on the amazing story that is this leafs team.

From outside the Blue and White bubble you guys are trapped inside:

Maple Leafs: A team, a town and the last drought that matters

......Standard stuff, of course, as simple as a slap on the back: Heated rivalry, hometown kids make good, a last-second win. Few passions run hotter than Canada and its hockey. But here’s the Toronto triumph. For the first time in a long time, it feels new....

Reactions: Menzinger

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
My thoughts are that we are in our awkward teenage phase, with gangly limbs that have outgrown our former frame.

We're schroedinger's hockey team - At once uber-talented, one of the best in the League, and yet still developing and growing.

All the pieces are there, but we've not yet emerged from the chrysalis in our final form.
The issue is the Leafs won't have the cap room to become what they could have become if management handled things a little differently.
I'm still pissed about that Matthews deal. I love the kid and he's a great hockey player but he hasn't earned that money and as a result, others are going to get overpaid as well.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
The issue is the Leafs won't have the cap room to become what they could have become if management handled things a little differently.
I'm still pissed about that Matthews deal. I love the kid and he's a great hockey player but he hasn't earned that money and as a result, others are going to get overpaid as well.
We still have a ridiculous core in place, and our cap issues next year are not so dire that they should threaten that. The sky is the limit with these players, and I think we're a long ways away from needing to worry about surrounding them with a good supporting cast, especially since they're not even done developing yet.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
The problems come from support. Brown AJ Marleau Ennis... Those slots tilted with more aggressive players alone would help a lot. I like AJ and Ennis just fine but we have enough of that, they need players that have energy and want to win at all costs. Players that will defend stars and throw hits to make plays or break cycles

I agree on this. Need a Josh Anderson type (or 2 please), a Tom Wilson. But be careful - you'll (we'll) get accused of wanting a first line of Colton Orr - Cam Janssen - John Scott.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->