Leafs fan in peace with a question.

iiBruins17*

I wouldn't have dealt Seguin to Toronto, and I don't think Chiarelli would have either. Someone correct me here, but I believe he said during last off season that they need to accept that Seguin could very well turn into a 40 goal guy. It was something to that effect anyway. (Mike you can comment on my use of affect/effect later).

But yeah, for that reason alone I doubt Boston would have dealt Seguin inside the division.

You don't believe the Vanek rumors?

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Ericksson = JVR
Morrow = Gardiner
Fraser = Biggs
Smith = Kadri

I still prefer the Dallas package. Not too mention Leafs would have to pay more because trade within division.

JVR, Kadri, Gardiner, Biggs, 1st..... for Seguin & Peverly.

You tell us Leaf fans, would you make that deal to land Seguin?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Seguin would be a good centre for kessel all speed. JVR would have been a good bruin, like to see more consistency from him. He is still working on his game and having a good year. This is really his first year as a go to guy, flyers never gave him the time to play, they got robbed on that deal.

As a leaf fan wouldn't you have liked to see two local boys on the team instead of kessel a shy american. Imagine having brampton's seguin and Toronto's own Dougie. The town reveals in kadri but those 2 would outshine him. Not sure what burke was thinking or the management in general at that over site. They knew the draft was down to one of the 2 ontario's boys hall and seguin. The other pick was 9th and it was between Couturier and Hamilton. I just think they blew a great PR move by a non canadian GM.

Eh. I don't want this thread to turn into a pissing contest over a trade that has been discussed to death. I think we were both happy with the trade, but as a leafs fan I think a Seguin and Kessel duo would be magic for the leafs.

On the other hand, JVR is a stud and would fit Bostons system perfectly. I was just looking for the view of some Boston fans on if that trade would have worked for you guys.

I asked this question on the leafs board and got a different response. Of course, each fan base will always be biased for their own needs and normally when two fan bases disagree it's fair value. For leafs, they didn't want to give up JVR as he is amazing this year and Seguin is "inconsistent". I don't buy into any of that and think that where a player is good they deserve the credit.

So there are mixed reviews in this thread too. Some fans wouldn't do it just because of the division. Some it would take a huge overpayment, and some had around the same value that I had in mind.

Either way glad you guys are happy with the trade you made. If there is anyone else that has a say about it I'll keep an eye on this thread, if not it will float to the abyss.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Ericksson = JVR
Morrow = Gardiner
Fraser = Biggs
Smith = Kadri

I still prefer the Dallas package. Not too mention Leafs would have to pay more because trade within division.

JVR, Kadri, Gardiner, Biggs, 1st..... for Seguin & Peverly.

You tell us Leaf fans, would you make that deal to land Seguin?

I think that in the view of leaf fans we would see the value of the trade as

JVR, Gardiner, 2014 First, and Franson.

JVR > Eriksson
Gardiner = Smith (in Youth and potential, even though different players on different positions so not really comparable)
First = Fraser
Morrow = Franson

I was wondering if something along that package would do it for Boston fans. If not, what would it have taken (obviously this is all just for fantasy now).

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008

JVR > Eriksson
Gardiner = Smith (in Youth and potential, even though different players on different positions so not really comparable)
First = Fraser
Morrow = Franson

I was wondering if something along that package would do it for Boston fans. If not, what would it have taken (obviously this is all just for fantasy now).
It's fair value. I think Smith is pretty clearly > Gardiner, but then you vastly overrated Matt Fraser's value anyways which more than evens things up.

2 problems though: Because you are a divisonal rival, it probably would've required you topping the Stars offer by a good margin rather than just matching it/slightly beating it. And secondly, the Bruins needed forwards more than they needed D. We let Andrew Ference walk without a fight due to having so many young D ready, so adding Gardiner and Franson in the same deal doesn't do us a ton of good. It's likely we would've pushed for Kadri in any deal.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
It's fair value. I think Smith is pretty clearly > Gardiner, but then you vastly overrated Matt Fraser's value anyways which more than evens things up.

Now, yes, before, no.

2 problems though: Because you are a divisonal rival, it probably would've required you topping the Stars offer by a good margin rather than just matching it/slightly beating it. And secondly, the Bruins needed forwards more than they needed D. We let Andrew Ference walk without a fight due to having so many young D ready, so adding Gardiner and Franson in the same deal doesn't do us a ton of good. It's likely we would've pushed for Kadri in any deal.

I agree. Something like JVR, Reilly, Gardiner, 2014 1st and 2nd for Seguin, Peverley. Certainly a better package, because I think Chia could make a deal around Smith and Gardiner: JVR, Reilly, Smith, 2014 1s and 2nd, not bad at all.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I made a thread on the leafs board and wanted your opinions on this. I was wondering if the leafs could have made a better pitch for Seguin than Dallas did to maybe have gotten Seguin to Toronto.

I was proposing that the leafs should have offered JVR as a center piece because in my eyes JVR > Eriksson. JVR would fit Bostons system perfectly. It would suck a first liner with the tools JVR has and I know they are rare, but getting a young #1 Center would be worth it.

So the question is would you guys even trade him to Toronto? Regardless of value, just having Seguin in the same conference? If yes, is there a package around JVR that you guys would take?

I don't think the B's would have been afraid to deal Seguin to Toronto. They don't fear him. Not yet. He'll put up points but he won't compete or battle and when the games matter he'll pull up or fall down or do something to allow the other team to take the puck. It's not unlike the Kessel situation. That's how they felt about Kessel when they dealt him too. Kessel has matured now into a player that is willing to sacrifice and pay the price to win, Seguin will someday too, but the B's are about winning now and if TO gave them a better chance of winning now then that's the deal they would have made.

All that said, JVR would have been a great fit and a good start, but Eriksson wasn't the only piece coming back. Smith has been better than Eriksson was cost efficient for this year, Morrow has been studly in Providence and has a bright future, even Fraser looks like he could be an NHL player. So any package from TO would depend on what their version of those assets would have been.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I don't know if there is a package I would have wanted. I will say that I don't much care about the whole "in the division" thing too much. I definitely like JVR a lot, though.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can

JVR > Eriksson
First = Fraser
Morrow = Franson

Erik>>JVR (JVR benefits a lot playing with Kessel)
We got Bartkowski who is as good as Gardiner. Similar player. So Chia wouldn't want Gardiner.
Smith=Kadri (eventhough Kadri hasmore talent, he is a high maintenance player and a pain to coach)
Fraser& Morrow not sure Leafs have anyone in the AHL that offer similar potential. Probably have to be Reilly.

So JVR, Kadri, & Rielly.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
As to why he's billed as a top two-way winger? I dunno, I think it's tough to give any winger that much credit for defensive play as attention to detail on positioning (which is by far the most important thing for a player to have defensively) isn't even close to what d-men or centers have to do. It seems like the most respected two-way wingers mainly excel at forechecking and backchecking, which I don't think Eriksson does particularly well at due to his skating. Hossa in particular is the best backchecker in the league, and it's a huge reason why he gets so much acclaim as a top two-way guy.

What I do see in Eriksson is an exceptional stick on defense, for both stripping players of the puck and clogging up passing lanes, but I just don't know if he has the speed and agility to utilize that aspect of his game as much as he could. Still very helpful to have a great stick on D, but if we're talking about two-way wingers even just on the Bruins, I'm going with Marchand.

This. I've made it a point for most of the season to really keep an eye on Eriksson (when he was on Bergy's wing as well as now with Yeti).

While i don't think he's all that poor of a skater -- his overall speed is at least average IMO and not any sort of glaring weakness (not to suggest you said it was, just saying) -- i do agree with you about Loui's uncanny ability to utilize his stick for defensive purposes, it always seems to be in the right spot.

I would say he gets good "stick-luck", as opposed to puck-luck, except the fact that it can't just be luck. His stick is constantly on the ice when it has to be and positionally exactly where it should be.

I am a Loui optimist. I really think those two concussions in a month, while getting used to a new team/system, is hard for any player to bounce back instantly from. But since the Olympic Break (where he performed well on the world stage) Loui is looking more and more like the Loui that was advertised at the time of the Seguin trade.

All of that aside, the guy can score too. That roofer the other night vs. the Caps was a thing of beauty. A lot of players just swipe at that and the puck ends up in Holtby's pad or breadbasket. Loui gave him no chance by elevating the puck so sharply all within a matter of a half second.

I think when all is said and done, the Bruins will be happy with the trading partner they picked. They were able to dump salary, get rid of a young stud who just didn't fit into the system well enough and wasn't maturing according to plan... and if Loui is as good as he has proven he can be, this deal was a win-win for both sides IMO.

Even more so for a Cup-contending team. I believe Loui and Reilly will be more valuable than Segs/Pevs come crunch time. Reilly's scoring might have fallen just a bit but he is still getting some assists and that line in general is just playing so well... Smith knows how to play well alongside Bergy.

Which is good, because Loui is fitting on Yeti's line like a glove.

That's my take. I don't put too much stock in the whole "in the division" thing, but i'm still happy Seguin is out West. Time will tell.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I don't think the B's would have been afraid to deal Seguin to Toronto. They don't fear him. Not yet. He'll put up points but he won't compete or battle and when the games matter he'll pull up or fall down or do something to allow the other team to take the puck. It's not unlike the Kessel situation. That's how they felt about Kessel when they dealt him too. Kessel has matured now into a player that is willing to sacrifice and pay the price to win, Seguin will someday too, but the B's are about winning now and if TO gave them a better chance of winning now then that's the deal they would have made.

All that said, JVR would have been a great fit and a good start, but Eriksson wasn't the only piece coming back. Smith has been better than Eriksson was cost efficient for this year, Morrow has been studly in Providence and has a bright future, even Fraser looks like he could be an NHL player. So any package from TO would depend on what their version of those assets would have been.

I believe almost every word. I have my doubts about Seguin's courage. I loved when Kessel slashed Scott,don't know if Seguin will ever muster up that kind of chutzpah!

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
I believe almost every word. I have my doubts about Seguin's courage. I loved when Kessel slashed Scott,don't know if Seguin will ever muster up that kind of chutzpah!

lol nothing courageous about slashing anybody, even if its Scott. Kessel then went around and slashed him again when he couldn't get to him. Kessel is a puss.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
lol nothing courageous about slashing anybody, even if its Scott. Kessel then went around and slashed him again when he couldn't get to him. Kessel is a puss.

That wasn't courage; that was sheer, unadulterated, wetting your pants fear. :nod:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Question for OP-

Last summer after Seguins dissappointing playoffs and Phil having a good series against the Bruins would you have traded Kessel for Seguin straight up?

What would we have needed to add to get him? Obviously you wouldn't have got Dougie but is Seguin and our 1st and Knight last summer enough to bring Phil the Thrill home?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Question for OP-

Last summer after Seguins dissappointing playoffs and Phil having a good series against the Bruins would you have traded Kessel for Seguin straight up?

What would we have needed to add to get him? Obviously you wouldn't have got Dougie but is Seguin and our 1st and Knight last summer enough to bring Phil the Thrill home?

Still not a guy who fits.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Next year if Smith hits for 25 and Eriksson returns to 25,well JVR ain't getting ya 50.

if.

Smith has been regressing a lot.

One excellent half-season and he is already a perennial 25-30 goal scorer in Boston? I hardly think so.

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
No problems sending Seguin to the Leafs. Would only better the rivalry :)
JVR, Kadri, Rielly for Seguin, Peverley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad