Leafs fan in peace: 1989 Cup finals.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I know I'm watching:

I wasn't from AB originally but I lived in Lethbridge all through the 80s and saw all the highs and lows of the Flames (as a fan no less!) from the demoralizing losses to the Oilers and things like Gretzky's friggin' slap shot over Vernon's shoulder to finally overcoming them thanks to Steve Smith only to get beat by a rookie Patrick Roy. But mostly I'll NEVER forget the 1989 Cup run. The standoffs between Otto and Messier, Tikkanen making fun of Hunter's nose, McDonald and Peplinski's weird red pajama tops on the bench, the fact that Montreal looked like a bunch of black-haired clones, Claude Lemieux douche-baggin' it up big time in Game 6.

Best hockey ever. Enjoy!

MarketSquare

Apr 26, 2020
Flames don't win without Gilmour. He was amazing. Probably one of the most underrated players in NHL history. He is top 20 player of all time. No doubt. Flames lose that series if they dont have gilmour

Reactions: Boomstick

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Flames don't win without Gilmour. He was amazing. Probably one of the most underrated players in NHL history. He is top 20 player of all time. No doubt. Flames lose that series if they dont have gilmour

He was dealing with some serious allegations that year too. Only reason we got him from St. Louis.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
This was good:

Gilmour was indeed great in the '89 playoffs, but maybe more so late in the Finals than the whole run (he didn't do much against Vancouver, for example -- they might have won that series faster if he'd been all in). Flames won in '89 by committee.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
This was good:

Gilmour was indeed great in the '89 playoffs, but maybe more so late in the Finals than the whole run (he didn't do much against Vancouver, for example -- they might have won that series faster if he'd been all in). Flames won in '89 by committee.

Man, great video but is it me or is Wayne fighting to not fall asleep the whole time
Give Wayne a redbull for the love of god!!! Janet make him a cup of coffeee

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad