Leafs Exhibition game is against... the Habs??

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Friedman is saying it looks like our lone exhibition game is against the Habs. This sucks. First, hate the Habs always will. Second, they kinda owned us this year for some reason (not that it matters, only exhibition, but some positive momentum would be nice). Third and worst of all, their game doesn't resemble Columbus AT ALL... it would have been better to play a bit bigger team in the vein of the Jackets, or a team with a similar style. I don't like it lol.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Hockey's most historic rivalry, exhibition style. Why not? Wish it were a playoff series. In reality, there are three, all Canadian matchups. They were going for rivalry and proximity throughout, as much as is possible.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Friedman is saying it looks like our lone exhibition game is against the Habs. This sucks. First, hate the Habs always will. Second, they kinda owned us this year for some reason (not that it matters, only exhibition, but some positive momentum would be nice). Third and worst of all, their game doesn't resemble Columbus AT ALL... it would have been better to play a bit bigger team in the vein of the Jackets, or a team with a similar style. I don't like it lol.
I think they actually resemble Columbus quite a bit. Needing a goalie to carry them because they can't score and having to rely on their top defensemen to provide most of their offense.

Reactions: LeafGrief

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I’ve always thought it was weird we didn’t have more exhibition games with them.

I doubt either teams plans to use it as anything other than a spirited scrimmage. No one wants an imjury.

Reactions: Buds17

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg

That reason is we played them on the 2nd half of back to backs all 3 games this year and we suck hard on the 2nd half of back to backs.

Reactions: qqaz

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

Well it helps that they never faced Andersen. And it also helps that all their games against us were in the second half of a back-to-back for us.

Hutchinson put up a paltry 0.875 save percentage in his two games against them in October. 10 goals allowed on 80 shots.

Campbell had a very good game against them in February but they scored a late goal to win 2-1.

member 300185

Habs play nothing like the jackets. Habs are very fast which will force our guys to get up to speed quicker. Habs have the far superior goaltender if Price goes nickels.

The only concern I have is the habs have proven time and time again they have no issue with intentionally hurting our players. Just ask James Reimer and others. I wish the Leafs were a net crashing team but they are not.

That said, this season Montreal played us in 3 of the 4 games were we were on a back to back and injured. I would love nothing more to embarrass them 9-1 or something.

No excuses, the habs are screwed. On paper, Leafs are an easy win and not even close, now they have to prove it on the ice.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Habs play nothing like the jackets. Habs are very fast which will force our guys to get up to speed quicker. Habs have the far superior goaltender if Price goes nickels.

The only concern I have is the habs have proven time and time again they have no issue with intentionally hurting our players. Just ask James Reimer and others. I wish the Leafs were a net crashing team but they are not.

That said, this season Montreal played us in 3 of the 4 games were we were on a back to back and injured. I would love nothing more to embarrass them 9-1 or something.

No excuses, the habs are screwed. On paper, Leafs are an easy win and not even close, now they have to prove it on the ice.
When is there ever an easy win in the NHL? To expect it in an exhibition game after 5 months out of action is utterly ridiculous.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

The last thing I want is a big physical team for this exhibition. It's a warm up game, nothing more and the most important thing is that nobody gets hurt.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
The only thing that concerns me about our exhibition game being against the Habs is that they were the weakest link going into this thing, the 24th out of 24 teams and who had statistically like a 1% change to actually make the playoffs.

If we lose the exhibition game it may somewhat demoralize the confidence of the squad entering the series with CBJ. If they win well, it was to be expected. Also, coming off summer break Freddie and Marner historically suck to start the season so I hope they don't repeat this trend coming off this extended break.

And to who anyone wondering why only 1 exhibition game before the play-in round, the league and players just wanna get this playoff started and over with. 2-3 exhibition games adds another week to the schedule where they have to be in the "bubble".

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The only thing that concerns me about our exhibition game being against the Habs is that they were the weakest link going into this thing, the 24th out of 24 teams and who had statistically like a 1% change to actually make the playoffs.

If we lose the exhibition game it may somewhat demoralize the confidence of the squad entering the series with CBJ. If they win well, it was to be expected. Also, coming off summer break Freddie and Marner historically suck to start the season so I hope they don't repeat this trend coming off this extended break.

And to who anyone wondering why only 1 exhibition game before the play-in round, the league and players just wanna get this playoff started and over with. 2-3 exhibition games adds another week to the schedule where they have to be in the "bubble".

Non-issue IMO. If they're that weak mentally then we're screwed anyway.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Well, if we get spanked, and the Jackets beat the Bs, then Columbus might get over-confident going into game 1!

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'd be surprised if they didn't ice the roster we will see in game 1.
It will depend on how close some battles are - if Robertson is showing very well in camp, they may want to see him in live game action.

But I agree - they should play the team they are going with. There is only the one tuneup game.

Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad