Recalled/Assigned: Leafs emergency recall Kaskisuo

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If any of them were hear they would get the same treatment. Leaf fans are consistent, if you let in Bernier type, Toskala type, Raycroft type goals, you get the total venom of the Leaf fan base. Leaf fans don't hate sparks, they hate the poor goals he constantly lets in. maybe in 2 or 3 years he figures out how to stop those crappy goals but right now, today, he is not a consistent NHLer. We expect that our NHLer's can at least make the routine plays look routine.

When you complain about a .910% back up goaltender, there's definitely a lot of wrong with that. It's definitely a hate on the player because there's literally zero reason to be up in arms with that. All the goaltenders you listed were starters here, not back ups.

He's pretty much right in the middle of every goaltender that have started at least 5 games in every category. Oh my god, the horror... :cry:

You can bust out any excuse you want but there's a weird hate for Sparks that literally results in moaning and garbage hot takes for pages and pages.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
When you complain about a .910% back up goaltender, there's definitely a lot of wrong with that. It's definitely a hate on the player.

A .910 primarily against the bottom dwellers of the NHL, Philly, LA, Chicago, Detroit, Ana.... not all sv% are created equal.

You can make any excuse you want, he lets in bad goals against bad teams... that's a fact Jack. You asked why he get the hate, I told you. If you don't want someone to answer a question, don't ask it.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A .910 primarily against the bottom dwellers of the NHL, Philly, LA, Chicago, Detroit, Ana.... not all sv% are created equal.

You can make any excuse you want, he lets in bad goals against bad teams... that's a fact Jack. You asked why he get the hate, I told you. If you don't want someone to answer a question, don't ask it.

Those teams are still NHL quality though, despite being weaker teams. Columbus put up 4 goals against Andersen last time. Being a bad goaltender would mean being bad at all times.

He does let in bad goals. Welcome to a fairly inexperienced goaltender that is playing as a back up. Despite being inconsistent, he's been able to put up very respectable numbers and that's what you want from your back up goaltender.

We could do FAR worst than Sparks and there aren't many better back up goaltenders right now. He's young and cheap with plenty of AHL pedigree. Probably should be a lot more supportive of him than the hate he gets just because some weak goals against.

You've already made up your mind though, that much is clear, and this is like talking to a wall.

Reactions: Joey Hoser

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Those teams are still NHL quality though, despite being weaker teams. Columbus put up 4 goals against Andersen last time. Being a bad goaltender would mean being bad at all times.

He does let in bad goals. Welcome to a fairly inexperienced goaltender that is playing as a back up. Despite being inconsistent, he's been able to put up very respectable numbers and that's what you want from your back up goaltender.

We could do FAR worst than Sparks and there aren't many better back up goaltenders right now. He's young and cheap with plenty of AHL pedigree. Probably should be a lot more supportive of him than the hate he gets just because some weak goals against.

You've already made up your mind though, that much is clear, and this is like talking to a wall.

I congratulate you for being able to make excuses all the way to be able to have a Kumbaya moment with Sparks AHL skills ...

BTW we could also do far better too ... Halak was a UFA this summer...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I congratulate you for being able to make excuses all the way to be able to have a Kumbaya moment with Sparks AHL skills ...

Halak had a GAA over 3 and a save percentage of .908% last season. Want to talk about bad goals against?

Imagine signing the 33 year old and not promoting your AHL goaltender of the year that you've developed for years, earning his shot and actually doing well but still complaining about it. We had the better older goaltender already if they weren't confident in Sparks.

Yeesh...

I think my quota of talking to a wall is thoroughly met. Have a good one.

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

At the end of the day, wins is all that matters. We would have an identical record with Halak as we do with Sparks up to this point. I can almost guarantee that. Unless you think we would go undefeated in all of Halak's starts.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Obviously i wish freddy was healthy. But this gives us a little preview of what we'd see if freddy goes down for a while any time in the future. Lots of pressure on sparks right now, lets see if he can match it.

And freddy gets some rest. But honestly, hope its not anything serious or nagging.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
It's time that our backup does to other teams that other teams backups have done to us for years.

Sparks has to do his absolute best George Vezina impression for next few games!

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Sparks is atrocious, pathetic, garbage and pretty much everything you want to throw at him but an NHLer. Last night he had a good night because CBJ were tiered and it appeared how they played and how many posts they hit. This fart is nothing.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Sparks is atrocious, pathetic, garbage and pretty much everything you want to throw at him but an NHLer. Last night he had a good night because CBJ were tiered and it appeared how they played and how many posts they hit. This fart is nothing.
Your spelling is almost as bad as your attitude.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I bet none of us woke up this morning hoping Sparks would start again tonight

I did. He’s played really well this year as his stats and record show but the dopey fans around here seem to have their minds made up otherwise and reality doesn’t shine on their heads.

He’s played better and better when playing games closer together.

Although a back-to-back isn’t ideal, it’s still a great opportunity to get more time in the goal.

The Islanders also played last night so this game will probably be a gong-show.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
At the end of the day, wins is all that matters. We would have an identical record with Halak as we do with Sparks up to this point. I can almost guarantee that. Unless you think we would go undefeated in all of Halak's starts.

At the end of the day wins are a team effort, Sparks flailing around like a fish out of water is on him. The are winning in spite of his poor goaltending not because of his poor goaltending.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Posts? I think CBJ set the record for most shots to hit the boards and glass behind the goal... if they just shot between the posts they would have had at least 5 more goals.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
If any of them were hear they would get the same treatment. Leaf fans are consistent, if you let in Bernier type, Toskala type, Raycroft type goals, you get the total venom of the Leaf fan base. Leaf fans don't hate sparks, they hate the poor goals he constantly lets in. maybe in 2 or 3 years he figures out how to stop those crappy goals but right now, today, he is not a consistent NHLer. We expect that our NHLer's can at least make the routine plays look routine.

I'm a leaf fan, have been for decades and have not an ounce of hate for Sparks. He's played all of 8 games this year and won 6 of them. A leaf fan knows the only reason he crashed 3 years ago was because he was put behind the worst team in the NHL at the time. Some 'fans' just need someone to hate, because they grew accustomed to it when the team was bad. The team isn't bad. Time to give up on the hate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keon1963

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Posts? I think CBJ set the record for most shots to hit the boards and glass behind the goal... if they just shot between the posts they would have had at least 5 more goals.

And they had plenty of high danger shots that Spark stopped. And he let in 2 few goals than Anderson did last time against CBJ. He had a pretty good game, and that first goal? It was deflected by a stick over his shoulder. Shot was aimed at his 5 hole, he made the right move by closing up to absorb the rebound. That deflection would have got past any NHL goalie.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
At the end of the day wins are a team effort, Sparks flailing around like a fish out of water is on him. The are winning in spite of his poor goaltending not because of his poor goaltending.

My point is that Halak, or any other better backup, wouldn't make a lick of difference so far and would cost more.

Reactions: Boutette

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

They had plenty of shots that hit the net, and dangerous chances Sparks stopped. He allowed 2 goals on 3o shots. That's good enough for most people.... Honestly, people should be more concerned with Gardiner's trademark dzone giveaways and Zaitsevs penchant for glueing himself to Sparks blocker side hip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad