Proposal: Leafs- Ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Yeah, but I mean it's a valid point as a Leafs fan made the thread. It's not really about a "dumb" proposal as much as it is having some sort of incentive to move a prospect an organization has no motivation for moving. No need or want to move Montour unless Toronto offered something truly outstanding that you can't pass up. I don't understand how that strikes a nerve, but whatever.

Because its stupid. No GM goes into negotiation hoping to rip off another GM just because they dont want to move a guy. Saying it would take an overpayment just because is dumb.

If your neighbour had a car worth 10K and you really wanted it, he didnt really want to sell it. Would you offer him 15 grand for it? No, because that makes no sense and youre not dumb.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
It's not really. He's saying that Anaheim has no intention of moving Montour, a guy we obviously want, for anything less than a no brainer-deal. That's completely fair. You, on the other hand, were saying that if Anaheim wants that kind of return for moving Montour, a player they don't want to move, they need to not move Montour and move Lindholm instead. It makes zero sense.
Thats not what i was saying at all, actually.

If they want Willy (which i admit wasnt the poster i was replying to's suggestion), then i would want lindholm. Somebody we dont want to move unless for an absolute no-brainer, Right?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Straight up named him as the cost. "didnt ask for him"

Ill check my ego when you check yours. Just because you get all offended that a foolish poster made a bad offer of Leivo (not anywhere near montours value, mind you) you get all whiny and name off a player the GM of toronto came and listed as a major piece of the future.

I didn't ask for him. Maybe you need to go over my posts again. No where did I ask for Nylander. Not once.

I haven't gotten offended, and I'm certainly not whiny. If that's your impression of my posts, then it's further evidence that you haven't bothered to read what I said. Do us both a favor, and give them another look, only this time without trying to take offense to what I'm saying. Based on your posts, that's the only conclusion I can come to; that you're trying to be offended by someone saying they don't want to move a player.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Based on current prices of young top 4 D, Leafs can't offer a very attractive offer without including one of their core players. Doubt anyone would give one up for nothing but picks either. If the Leafs lower their expectations they could get a bit older/limited term top 4 D for the typical pieces they tend to offer in these threads.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I didn't ask for him. Maybe you need to go over my posts again. No where did I ask for Nylander. Not once.

I haven't gotten offended, and I'm certainly not whiny. If that's your impression of my posts, then it's further evidence that you haven't bothered to read what I said. Do us both a favor, and give them another look, only this time without trying to take offense to what I'm saying. Based on your posts, that's the only conclusion I can come to; that you're trying to be offended by someone saying they don't want to move a player.

Already did, i was indeed mistaken. Apologies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
If your neighbour had a car worth 10K and you really wanted it, he didnt really want to sell it. Would you offer him 15 grand for it? No, because that makes no sense and youre not dumb.

Are you familiar with capitalism? That's exactly how it works. It's called supply and demand. If your neighbor has something that you really want, he can dictate the price if he's the only source for that product.

Welcome to the real world.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Are you familiar with capitalism? That's exactly how it works. It's called supply and demand. If your neighbor has something that you really want, he can dictate the price if he's the only source for that product.

Welcome to the real world.

Haha yeah, thats how the real world works. Not like i can go find another version of that car in the next town, eh?

93Ducks

Go Ducks
May 15, 2010
Because its stupid. No GM goes into negotiation hoping to rip off another GM just because they dont want to move a guy. Saying it would take an overpayment just because is dumb.

It seemed he was merely emphasizing it would take overpayment to poach a great young prospect Anaheim has no intention of dealing currently. That makes sense, doesn't it? I'm not going to dwell on it any longer.

And fwiw, it's a Leaf fan offering Leivo up for Montour in the OP, not anyone suggesting Montour for Nylander is a realistic possibility or fair value.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
It's not really. He's saying that Anaheim has no intention of moving Montour, a guy we obviously want, for anything less than a no brainer-deal. That's completely fair. You, on the other hand, were saying that if Anaheim wants that kind of return for moving Montour, a player they don't want to move, they need to not move Montour and move Lindholm instead. It makes zero sense.

Thank you. That's all I'm trying to say.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
If Levio could get us Montour this rebuild thing ain't all that hard.

Leivo has been one of our best wingers since being put in the lineup. Why are you selling him short? 9 games is hardly a definitive sample size, but he's always had top6 fwd potential. That being said, he's getting his fair share of luck up till this point..

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Haha yeah, thats how the real world works. Not like i can go find another version of that car in the next town, eh?

If you can, you should.

No one is saying you have to pay that 15 grand price tag, remember? That's your choice. You're the one insisting on buying a vehicle that the owner doesn't want to sell.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
The funniest part of OP is how "they both developed slowly" when Montour started actually playing HOCKEY like 5 years ago. Keep thinking though.

What a blatant lie.. 5 years ago, montour is in his draft year season. No way in hell did he have one season of organized hockey under his belt prior to getting drafted..

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
If you can, you should.

No one is saying you have to pay that 15 grand price tag, remember? That's your choice. You're the one insisting on buying a vehicle that the owner doesn't want to sell.

Absolutely, but if my neighbour tries to sell me a 10k car for 15 grand, im more than entitled to tell him to go **** himself too, right?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Did he actually? Montour started playing when he was 16/17 years old... ?

The story is a bit murky, I believe he was playing hockey but more focused on trying to make it in lacrosse up until that age.

Absolutely, but if my neighbour tries to sell me a 10k car for 15 grand, im more than entitled to tell him to go **** himself too, right?

Might want to go tell it to Pierre Lebrun. It was him and not any Ducks fan who suggested that the Leafs would have to give up Nylander if they want to pry Montour away.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

In that metaphor, you would be asking your neighbour to buy his vehicle. Not the other way around. I mean, you could tell him to **** off if you inquired about buying his car and didnt like his asking price, but I wouldn't bet on your neighbour being very fond of you.. :laugh:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Did he actually? Montour started playing when he was 16/17 years old... ?

I'm not quite sure that's true. I think he didn't fully commit to hockey until around that age. He was a full-time lacrosse player before that, but I'm not sure how much hockey he was playing before that.

He's taken an unusual route, which is probably a big reason he's a late bloomer.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Might want to go tell it to Pierre Lebrun. It was him and not any Ducks fan who suggested that the Leafs would have to give up Nylander if they want to pry Montour away.
Pierre Lebrun is free to make any suggestion he likes, it doesnt effect value at all.
In that metaphor, you would be asking your neighbour to buy his vehicle. Not the other way around. I mean, you could tell him to **** off if you inquired about buying his car and didnt like his asking price, but I wouldn't bet on your neighbour being very fond of you.. :laugh:
And if my neighbours trying to rip me off, i wouldnt care how fond of me he is.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
Leivo has been one of our best wingers since being put in the lineup. Why are you selling him short? 9 games is hardly a definitive sample size, but he's always had top6 fwd potential. That being said, he's getting his fair share of luck up till this point..

Im not selling him short. Im actually hopeful of Leivo. But I understand our needs as a team and if they can be addressed without selling our "core" or dishing out 1st or making big FA signings, I'm all for it.
And as hopeful as I am for Leivo, his trade value is nowhere near Montour, currently.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

If you want, but that says quite a lot about you, since you're asking him to sell something he doesn't want to sell.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
fair enough, but who keeps starting these threads?

if you keep asking for the car, that's on you.

If only i had control of all the terrible proposals the massive amounts of Toronto fans on this forum...

not to forget the trolls who just make 6 threads every day going LOLOL JVR+ bozak For Fowler + silvferberg!

Unfortunately i have no control over that and every takes that as leafs players always havign no value cuz "they get offered up all the time, so you guys must not want them!" which somehow translates to "they dont want them; They are bad!"

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
And if my neighbours trying to rip me off, i wouldnt care how fond of me he is.

He's not trying to rip you off. He's trying to justify selling an item he doesn't want to sell. You're looking at this from a purely selfish view. He's not in any way obligated to sell you something at fair value, simply because you want it. You don't get to make that decision. He owns it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->