News Article: Leafs' Draft Approach Won't Change Under Dubas

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I'll call it right now, I hope we draft Bergrren if looking for a forward. I hope we draft Sandin>Alexyev if looking for dmen

Reactions: Smif

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
My guess with the whole time thing, it starts at 7, but by the time they get through the whole preamble and intros and such, the first pick will be made closer to 7:30.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
For what it is worth, I believe leafs have drafted in the 20s of the 1st round 9 times and their best picks have been Rask, Steen and Boyes. Duds include Percy, Biggs, Bancroft, Marshall, Gauthier, and Cereda.

I wouldn't go as far as calling Grant Marshall a dud. Maybe not a wise choice for a 1st rounder, but he was a servicable depth forward who finished his career with 2 Stanley Cup rings. Something the rest of the list has or will never accomplish.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Don’t expect Dubas to reveal anything.

He’s been running misdirect stuff in the press for the last few weeks. Has every incentive keep opposing GMs guessing

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Pretty sure Dubas' draft philosophy is BPA. Which I guess is what Hunter's was as well... Just his definition of BPA was questionable.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
The approach will be the same. That's an important message to send to the club and to fans. Consistency of message is important if success has been replicated. The machinery within the approach (i.e. selecting the BPA) that analyses and synthesizes information and thus directs selection will most certainly undergo a change. But I trust the change within the approach will be for the better given Dubas' emphasis on skill and high hockey IQ.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
In last year's post-draft poll, I gave their draft a 'D', one of the lower scores on this board (loved Liljegren, sort of liked Rasanen, and hated the rest).

I'm expecting better things from Dubas. No more towering defenseman with no puck skills.

Reactions: PatrickMerlot

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Something better change because the outlook from some of our recent picks is pretty bleak. I don’t like drafting for size, even at D. Points aren’t everything but even in junior promising prospects need to be able to produce at a decent clip in order to ever make the NHL.

Hopefully we see a draft loaded with talented players that bring more than just physical tools.

Reactions: Legendary

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I wouldn't go as far as calling Grant Marshall a dud. Maybe not a wise choice for a 1st rounder, but he was a servicable depth forward who finished his career with 2 Stanley Cup rings. Something the rest of the list has or will never accomplish.

Yes you are right. Unfortunately he never played a game for the Leafs.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Option 1. Trade up for veleno.
Option 2. Draft k'andre Miller at 25(kid will be a stud.)
Option 3. Trade the pick. (top 4 RHD)

In Dubas we trust

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Tomorrow is rd. 1, sat rd. 2. I honestly hope they move up and go for veleno. We need to build some center depth

I’ve watched veleno for most of his junior career until he got traded and trust me I don’t know why he was granted exceptional status because honestly I wouldn’t take him at 25.
He is not anything special. I think gauthier has a better chance to make the nhl than veleno.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
This draft feels so different than any in recent memory. Can't remember a time where I was hoping the Leafs moved their first rounder on draft night going in. Will not be disappointed one bit if we do end up picking at 25 but looking at our roster the pick is by far our most tradeable "A level" asset

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I’ve watched veleno for most of his junior career until he got traded and trust me I don’t know why he was granted exceptional status because honestly I wouldn’t take him at 25.
He is not anything special. I think gauthier has a better chance to make the nhl than veleno.
While I can respect that opinion, the kid looks like a Patrice Bergeron to me. Which is precisely why I'd want him. I wanted Lilly last year (thank you mono?) And if we get veleno this year I'd be over the moon.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I want an all bergman draft one day, just to see who he comes up with...

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I hope it does. Our last 2 drafts were pretty disappointing. I'd much rather prioritize skill and smarts rather than drafting big defensemen who are longshots
Yeah, that' 2016 draft where we grabbed Matthews totally sucked. Grundstrom in the 2nd round is complete poo as well, who needs hard working productive wingers for crying out loud! Then we wasted a 3rd round pick on a guy who was team USA's goalie at the world junior tournament this year when we totally don't need goaltending prospects. What a total mess that 2016 draft ended up being, especially when you factor in all those later picks who haven't done squat such as 4th rounder Adam Brooks who played center for the Calder Cup champion marlies as a rookie this year. As far as 2017 goes, I'm sure we could have done way better than a slick puck moving right defender who at one time was considered the best defender in his draft class. We had the 17th pick of the round and that's the best we could do? The guys picked after him have already had a year in the organization and haven't made the team yet so they are probably garbage too. I can only imagine how crappy and disappointing they will look in a few years when its actually fair to judge. Sorry for the sarcasm overload here, but really? You were disappointed the last 2 years? Personally I think this organization is going to get a couple of NHL players each draft, and that's what the best drafting teams do. Expecting more than that is pretty unreasonable and greedy in my opinion. You shouldn't crap on the last couple years, you are going to sound silly when some of these guys start making the team and having an impact.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Burke: "You shouldn't feel ashamed for taking a #3 center with the 14th pick!"

Thank the heavens guys like this aren't running the leafs anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad