News Article: Leafs' Draft Approach Won't Change Under Dubas

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
"Drafting for need when players aren't going to be on the roster for two or three or four years, I think your needs are going to change in the meantime," Leafs GM Kyle Dubas told Toronto sports radio station The Fan 590 earlier this week. "Our goal is to add the best possible players that we can, and if we end up having a surplus at one position or another then that would fall on me as the (GM) - not the scouting staff or the rest of our staff - to fix it."

"A lot of things kind of come and go in terms of trends in hockey, but puck skill, sense, intelligence, those are the things that remain sort of the staples," Dubas told The Fan. "Some years there's an emphasis on, 'You have to be fast,'; other times there's an emphasis on, 'You have to be big'; but if you have smart people with high skill level, I think those are kind of tested and true ways to go about it. That maybe sounds more basic than it truly is, but those are the kinds of things that every team in the NHL values."

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
For what it is worth, I believe leafs have drafted in the 20s of the 1st round 9 times and their best picks have been Rask, Steen and Boyes. Duds include Percy, Biggs, Bancroft, Marshall, Gauthier, and Cereda.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I hope it does. Our last 2 drafts were pretty disappointing. I'd much rather prioritize skill and smarts rather than drafting big defensemen who are longshots

yeah it's almost like they were overcompensating from picking so many skilled little guys prior to that

Dermott is pretty good but we're going to have to do better quantity-wise with a bunch of years of having guys at the top locked into huge deals coming up. cheap talent needs to continue to flow.

Brolaf

Apr 4, 2013
Woodbridge, ON
From reading the article, by "approach" it sounds like they are merely referring to drafting for need vs drafting BPA.

It doesn't address whether the Leafs player evaluation process and strategy has or will change under Dubas (I suspect the answer is yes).

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Good skaters, high-end skill, strong iq, blazing speed.

Down with fridges. I'm fine with one fridge every two years (in a full compliment of picks, so sure 1 in every 14 players taken can be a fridge). Not multiple in a year.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
i don't think sportsnet would display "nhl draft pre-show" regardless of whether there is one or not, so i'm pretty sure there will be one. i don't want one though
I just remember the past few years since Sportsnet has shown the draft it's started at 7:00 PM. So either way we will find out tomorrow because in the long run it's not that big of a deal.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I just remember the past few years since Sportsnet has shown the draft it's started at 7:00 PM. So either way we will find out tomorrow because in the long run it's not that big of a deal.
it does start at 7 so thats why i'm kind of skeptical as to whether there is a show or not. maybe there will be a draft edition of hockey central or something

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
"Drafting for need when players aren't going to be on the roster for two or three or four years, I think your needs are going to change in the meantime," Leafs GM Kyle Dubas told Toronto sports radio station The Fan 590 earlier this week. "Our goal is to add the best possible players that we can, and if we end up having a surplus at one position or another then that would fall on me as the (GM) - not the scouting staff or the rest of our staff - to fix it."

"A lot of things kind of come and go in terms of trends in hockey, but puck skill, sense, intelligence, those are the things that remain sort of the staples," Dubas told The Fan. "Some years there's an emphasis on, 'You have to be fast,'; other times there's an emphasis on, 'You have to be big'; but if you have smart people with high skill level, I think those are kind of tested and true ways to go about it. That maybe sounds more basic than it truly is, but those are the kinds of things that every team in the NHL values."

I think some of these skills you have and others you can improve but never have.

That's why a someone who scores average or below on HIQ would not interest me.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Good skaters, high-end skill, strong iq, blazing speed.

Down with fridges. I'm fine with one fridge every two years (in a full compliment of picks, so sure 1 in every 14 players taken can be a fridge). Not multiple in a year.

If they can't skate I wouldn't even waste 1 pick in 14 on those gigantic plugs we've wasted picks on recently

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
it does start at 7 so thats why i'm kind of skeptical as to whether there is a show or not. maybe there will be a draft edition of hockey central or something
As of now they have Tim & Sid listed from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM and after it says NHL Draft Round 1 at 7:00 PM. We will have to wait and see tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->