GDT: [email protected] 7PM TSN4

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by Budsfan, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Leafsdude7

Leafsdude7 Stand-Up Philosopher

No, it really doesn't. Marner might not be in the conversation, but it's not completely absurd to suggest maybe someday he'd be in on the Selke. Tavares definitely has a reputation as a solid defensive player, even if, again, he's not a selke candidate. If the Selke was given purely to defensive players, Hyman and Brown would definitely have the potential to be in the conversation at some point in their careers, if they aren't already. Kadri was being talked about as a potential Selke candidate just last year. And Matthews is definitely a potential strong candidate for a Selke at some point.

Everyone else in our top nine, save maybe Marleau, are definitely people who should be winning Selkes. Nylander is flat out not. Not now, not ever, unless his defensive game completely changes.

Worst of all, it shouldn't be a massive knock against him. Not all players are defensively sound. Nylander still brings necessary and high-quality skill to the team and has and will continue to be a key part of the Leafs, likely for a long time. He's just not good defensively, therefore he shouldn't be playing in the last 5 minutes. Period.

2. Kelly

Kelly It was 4-1.

Yes they're useful players but don't have the offensive potential as Nylander, I don't think you're really understanding my logic.

Nylander was the only player dropped from the top 9, he's still being treated like a rookie. I don't see where those 3 come into play. You can still have a 7m dollar player as talented as Nylander that you're able to keep on his line in the dying minutes of the game.

Coach doesn't seem to think that with Willy though.

PromisedLand likes this.
  3. Maplebeasts

Maplebeasts I See Demons!!!!!

It's outrageous. I get that I'm a bit of a Nylander homer but saying he sucked is outright false.

4. Walshy7

Walshy7 Registered User

Nah I went through 60 threads of nylander contract threads with his same biases it’s not worth having such narrow minded fools pop up in an enjoyable thread.

PromisedLand and Polaris1010 like this.
  5. TimeZone

TimeZone Superstar

Okay, you clearly lack basic reading comprehension.

6. PromisedLand

PromisedLand <-----#34, #91, #43-----> "THE TRIFECTA"

Wizard
    clearly....

it was my mistake for thinking that nylander isn't reliable or played well because babcock benched him in the last minutes.

:rolleyes:

7. Walshy7

Walshy7 Registered User

Brown is the only player from the 4th line babs trusts in the final mins. So only one winger will “come out of the top 9” no?

8. Walshy7

Walshy7 Registered User

Yep, whatever number the nylander contract threads ended at that guy was there day 1 until signing day spewing his biased nonsense

9. TimeZone

TimeZone Superstar

Nylander was benched because Babs has a hard on for playing defensively reliable Brown in the third period. Apparently you're new to watching Leafs games, as this has been a common theme for quite some time.

When multiple posters are calling you out and questioning if you even watched the game, it's not a good look. Your posts in this thread are borderline embarrassing.

10. Leafsdude7

The problem seems to be you think all 60 minutes in a game are equal. They aren't. The game changes in the last 5 minutes, and so coaches change, too. If Babs coaches in the last 1/4 of the period like he did in the first 3/4, he'd be a moron, because even a team like the Devils would eat our team up for dinner.

11. Kelly

Kelly It was 4-1.

The Selke argument is totally off point -- I get that Matthews and Hyman may have the potential, but there are a lot of good players in the league.

Anyway, I just don't agree with paying Nylander 7 million dollars if your coach doesn't trust him in the final minutes, he doesn't need to be a Selke contender, just adequate would do. Maybe if we were dying for offense, but we have 3 more offensively inclined forwards on our team -- im not preaching for the team to trade Nylander... Im just saying it wouldn't surprise me if the management group looks at that in the summer. Which is a shame, because I like Willy.

12. PromisedLand

Wizard
    yea.... again it is my mistake

how dare I raise an issue with Nylander making 7 AAV when he has 3 points in 15 games to show.

How rude of me....

my bad

:rolleyes:

13. Walshy7

Walshy7 Registered User

Babcock has said since brown went to the 4th mine that he’d find mins for brown. This is how he does it he switched brown and nylander. Babs really really likes browns game it is as simple as that. Nylander is probably the weakest winger defensively in the top 9 (although Johnson hasn’t been excelling lately) so nylander makes way to brown

14. TimeZone

TimeZone Superstar

No, the issue stems from the fact that Babs continues to hide Nylander on the bench, even when he's playing a strong game. I didn't see him out there standing out in a negative way defensively at any point tonight. He drove his line and was having one of his best games of the Season. I can't imagine being benched the final 7 minutes of the game was great for his confidence. All of this while we're taking the game to the Devil's, and absolutely dominating them all period long. There is absolutely no reason to take unnecessary risks, but there's also no reason to stop pressing and replace Nylander with offensively challenged Brown, as if Willie had done something wrong.

And No, the Devil's aren't "eating up" anybody, especially not without Hall. They're terrible.

15. TimeZone

TimeZone Superstar

And now you've managed to take things entirely off topic. Well done.

16. PromisedLand

Wizard
    Thanks!!!

Now I wont have to put up with your BS

17. PromisedLand

Wizard
    Clearly it is often the case when nylander is called out the same posters chime in calling others stupid, moron etc....

when point production and contract is brought forward the discussion is off topic

got it!

18. Leafsdude7

Why not? Why does someone have to be trusted in the final minutes to be worth 7 million dollars? Do you think Hyman is worth 7 million dollars? Babs clearly trusts him in the last minute, as well as in the rest of the game. How about Kapanen? Johnsson? Kadri? Eh, maybe Kadri.

Nylander is worth 7 million dollars because he puts up points. IMO, not one penny of that 7 million dollars was earned by his defensive capabilities. I'm surprised that anyone doesn't understand that.

Leaf4Life likes this.
  19. Kelly

Kelly It was 4-1.

Johnsson you think would be the better choice, but maybe since he's a LW?

Brown wouldn't surprise me to see gone next year, 2.1million for a fourth line winger... Money's going to have to be cut from somewhere. And if that happens I hope Willy proves Babs wrong. Regardless of what some of you say, if you're paying a guy 7million dollars he should be trusted to play in the dying minutes of a 1 goal game... Willy has to be a key cog for us, because he's being payed like one.

Im still hoping for a Pasta like breakout from Willy -- sucks he had to miss all the time at the start of the year.

20. TimeZone

TimeZone Superstar

We're discussing William Nylander's game tonight and you're incoherently rambling about his contract. He played a solid game tonight, being swapped out like he routinely is for Brown in the final few minutes of the game doesn't change that. We are discussing his game tonight, not last week, not two weeks ago, not Monday. Tonight's game.

Nobody is ecstatic about Nylanders lack of production thus far, but that isn't what we were discussing.

21. PromisedLand

Wizard
    He is the highest paid player on that line. Who should be driving the line and carrying the players on that line with marleau and kadri?

Kadri had 4 shots on goal tonight with a CF% of 70

Nylander had 1 shot on goal tonight with a CF% of 56

your nagging about kadri and marleau; while praising nylander and saying naz and marleau brought him down is hilarious.

nylander makes 7 AAV
    Kadri 4.5 AAV
    Marleau 6.25 AAV

nylander can't be trusted to defend then at least show some offensive flare; if not points at least show some offensive zone time, board battle

nothing was there except nylander gained the zone a few times and then lost the puck only for the devils to transition out of their zone

22. Kelly

Kelly It was 4-1.

Because hockey is a three zone 60 minute game.

I understand that the high point totals gets you paid -- but you can put up high point totals, and also be trusted to play in the final minutes of the game.

Like 99% of the other guys making big bucks.

23. Leafsdude7

He didn't, though. He played a regular shift in the first 55 minutes tonight. His icetime was equal to Marleau's. He played 18 minutes against Nashville. He's averaging 15 minutes on the season through the first 15 games. He's not being hidden.

He didn't play the last 5 minutes because of the score. Not for any other reason. Trying to turn it into some witchhunt against Nylander doesn't give Nylander credit for what he is, and it devalues what Brown and others bring to the team that Nylander happens not to. Nylander is not being picked on by Babs or the coaches, they're using him in ways to maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses to allow him and the team to play as well as possible. That's all.

24. TimeZone

TimeZone Superstar

Now you're just pulling numbers out of your ass. #1 Kadri is underpaid and has a a fantastic contract. Marleau's cap hit is in the Nylander range, and he hasn't scored 50+ points in 4 Seasons now. Let's also not forget Nazem Kadri now has 2 goals in his last 25 games, he's not exactly lighting the world on fire himself. Kadri did nothing to drive the line tonight, he was set up for a prime scoring opportunity and he shot it directly at a sprawled out Kinkaid. He also had a miserable shot from the corner when the Leafs had sustained pressure on a tired Devils line and completely murdered the play. He continued to attempt to cut to the middle of the ice with rhe puck, and proceed to do absolutely nothing with it.

Nylander had multiple nice rushes tonight generating a couple of good chances with his speed alone. You're the only person in this thread saying he had a poor game tonight, have you realized this? I'm aware of what our players contractual situation is, posting them is redundant.

25. PromisedLand

Wizard
    okay then... I will hold you to it. By the end of the season if Nylander has not scored at 0.7 ppg then I can't wait to see your reply