GDT: Leafs@Devils 7PM TSN4

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
see how gracious hyman waited for the puck to go in.

Babcock talks about that in the dressing room for 20 min

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Do people really think $7m is some sort of superstar?.

Let’s just throw all our high salaries out in the last minute.
Marleau-Jt-nylander
What?

If your coach doesn't trust a 7million dollar player in the final minutes that's a problem. He's our second highest paid player (soon to be 4th) you should be relying on your stars in these type of situations, not benching them. I like Willy but if Babs doesn't, well than it wouldn't surprise me to see him gone in the summer.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
We're pressing and dominating the period against a terrible Devil's team, you don't turtle by sending out offensive black holes like Connor Brown.

With less than 5 minutes left? You absolutely do. Any team does. You don't push with a 1 goal lead with less than 5 minutes left.

And it's not like Babs doesn't do this constantly. He's done it all the time over the last 3 years. Nylander doesn't play the last 5 minutes with a 1- or 2-goal lead. Ever.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Im usually not one to ***** about this kind of stuff. But it's a problem if your coach doesn't trust your 6.9m dollar man in the final minutes of the game.

Babcock did this same thing last year, he doesn't trust him.

well Babcock didn't trust him when he was making an ELC contract so like why would that change now that he's making 6.9m?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yes? How anyone can harp on Nylander after that game is beyond me. Made clean zone entries, had some chances and set some up.

zone entries mean F-all if all you do is gain the zone and then lose the puck to opposition like a little girl

Tell Babcock off because he benched nylander end of the game because willy was so good right?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
What?

If your coach doesn't trust a 7million dollar player in the final minutes that's a problem. He's our second highest paid player (soon to be 4th) you should be relying on your stars in these type of situations, not benching them. I like Willy but if Babs doesn't, well than it wouldn't surprise me to see him gone in the summer.

But he trusts 2 $2m dollar players more than anyone in the last mins and pk so your logic falls apart pretty easily

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
With less than 5 minutes left? You absolutely do. Any team does. You don't push with a 1 goal lead with less than 5 minutes left.

And it's not like Babs doesn't do this constantly. He's done it all the time over the last 3 years. Nylander doesn't play the last 5 minutes with a 1- or 2-goal lead. Ever.

It's almost as if all of these collapses over the years have taught you nothing. Play your best players, especially when they're having a strong game. I'm not a fan of playing Brown over Nylander on anything besides the PK.

You play the way you've been playing when you're dominating the play, period.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I don't think Babcock cares about that, but our management group probably will

Nylander makes 7M because of his offensive output, not his defensive reliability. Nylander's just that good (when he's on) to be worth 7M regardless of how bad he is in his own zone. And, at least at this stage in his development even when he's going at full steam, he's never going to be in the race for the Selke, even if the award was given to the 100th best defensive forward in the league.

Reactions: Walshy7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->