Post-Game Talk: Leafs defeat Sabres 5-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
I know that's an old saying, but I wonder how true it is. For example, our last two playoff series have featured more PKs against than the regular season average. Every cup winner in recent times have had a ton of PP goals when their run is over.
2017-2018 Regular season
BOS 2.9 PPOA, 3.1 PPO
TOR 2.8 PPOA, 2.73 PPO

2017-2018 Playoffs
TOR 3 PPOA, 2.1 PPO

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This is the real team need.

Toughness is so over rated by everyone. Teams just have to play harder and finish checks, you no longer need face punchers in the lineup.

Finish checks is the toughness they need. People have been saying it all year.
Fights are great, too. Entertaining.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It’s not normal. Can they draw more penalties? Maybe if they moved around more in the offensive zone or crash the net it might force the opposition to take more penalties. A lot of times they pass to an open man who shoots so fast they don’t have time to take a penalty. Other times the defence gets between the Leafs shooter and the net and they get their stick on shots and passes.
A little more physicality on the forecheck, taking a guy out of the play, I suspect would draw more penalties.

Hopefully they figure it out before the playoffs because if Boston gets significantly more PP time they’ll likely win the series.

If their PP is as lethal as it has been against us and ours is as impotent as it has been the past 3 months, it won't have to be significantly more PP time.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't think you understood what I was saying. I'm not accusing refs of being biased against the Leafs. I'm saying that borderline calls that aren't being called right now is how the refs will be calling the playoffs.

I’m saying the refs will be calling the playoffs like they do the regular season. They don’t put the whistle away, especially in the early rounds like they used to do. That trend happened a few yrs ago.

The players will be more focussed and intense and won’t be apt to take a lazy penalty.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Sure they could but they do not. To me it seemed that it was in Wendel's DNA to go looking to hit somebody hard his first shift and set the tone for the game.

So you would like the Leafs to have a 5 point a year player in the lineup instead of a player who can actually contribute to the team offensively ?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
My son said the reffing was so bad last night that it made him think the league was trying to prop up Buffalo to a playoff spot. Hope this is not true but I have my doubts.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Wendel Clark was never a 5 point/year player. His number is retired for a good reason.

Your talking about Wendel Clark ???

What the hell did he have to do with last year's playoffs ? You really pulled that one out of absolutely nowhere.

Also, the game has changed. That stuff isn't as important anymore

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Your talking about Wendel Clark ???

What the hell did he have to do with last year's playoffs ? You really pulled that one out of absolutely nowhere.

Also, the game has changed. That stuff isn't as important anymore

See post #391 and you can see why I brought up Wendel.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
I know that's an old saying, but I wonder how true it is. For example, our last two playoff series have featured more PKs against than the regular season average. Every cup winner in recent times have had a ton of PP goals when their run is over.
I read an article the other day on The Athletic that said historically teams take the same number of penalties in the playoffs. It suggested that while the threshold for a penalty call from the refs is higher, players will still try to play to that line and commit the same number of infractions as during the regular season. I don't remember what article it was but that information was mentioned as an aside.

Edit: Here's the source material.

The NHL Playoffs and Penalties

Last edited:
Reactions: Nithoniniel

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
You think they would have learned that from games 1 and 2 of last year's playoffs. I still remember Wendel running somebody his first shift of the game. It seemed to energise the rest of the team. We do not have that player.

See post #391 and you can see why I brought up Wendel.

You talked about last years playoffs then jumped right into talking about someone who hasn't been in the league almost 20 years.

You can't understand my confusion ? I assumed you were talking about Tommy Wingles and misspelled the name (Who played in last year's playoffs).

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You talked about last years playoffs then jumped right into talking about someone who hasn't been in the league almost 20 years.

You can't understand my confusion ? I assumed you were talking about Tommy Wingles and misspelled the name (Who played in last year's playoffs).

No worries. I now understand why you said Wingels :)

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I read an article the other day on The Athletic that said historically teams take the same number of penalties in the playoffs. It suggested that while the threshold for a penalty call from the refs is higher, players will still try to play to that line and commit the same number of infractions as during the regular season. I don't remember what article it was but that information was mentioned as an aside.

Really interesting, thanks!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

I've been saying that for a long time. The slash to the hand is s perfect example - as soon as they start to call them, yhr players stop. They aren't stupid (well, most aren't). If the refs called a penalty every time a player hit another player with his stick, as per the rules, then after a few games with twenty slashing, hooking, and cross-checking penalties, it would quickly go back to the usual three per game. The only real difference would be fewer bruises, sore backs, and retaliations.

(The numbers are just guesses.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->