Leafs coach may have violated salary cap (UPD: undisclosed fines levied)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...on-s-cash-bonus-may-come-at-a-price-for-leafs

Ron Wilson posted a cash bounty for winning Tuesday night against his old team, and marking his milestone 600th win.

It’s a hockey tradition for players traded from one team to post cash – like a bounty – for the player on his new team to score the winning goal when the two teams meet. Just a little bit of jocularity among teammates, really.
Wilson was just partaking in that ritual, with the players saying the money would go to a good team dinner. But it was unclear whether the gift was a violation of the collective bargaining agreement, something the league frowns upon.
“Neither a Club nor a Club Actor may pay or provide a Player anything of value, except as provided in his SPC (standard players contract) . . . Upon a finding of this circumvention . . . the player shall forfeit to the League such prohibited payment or other thing of value.â€

jessebelanger

Feb 18, 2009
Here's the most relevant sentence in the article

The Leafs said they have not heard from the league on the matter.

I doubt this is the first time this has happened, and I doubt anyone cares. As Jeffrey93 summed up nicely - this is rediculous.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I'm shocked I tell you just shocked that a professional journalist from The Star would resort to this just to attempt to titilate and gain readers or web hits. What has this world come to?

:sarcasm:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...eafs-pay-the-price-for-bounty/article1868522/

$600 on the wall to guy who got GWG. Duhatschek rants.

Haven't seen any $$ yet of the fine(s) RW and Leafs got. (Undisclosed fine)

Tweets out there have me wondering if the "bounty" thing may a violation of some non-gambling provision of the SPC.

Edit:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/pu...088&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Puck Daddy on the situation (and there's history of a bounty not being fined in the past).

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
On a team where players make millions, $600 is really pocket change. As it states, the money is really a nice dinner for a player or a partial payment for a team dinner. It's so insignificant and immaterial that if the NHL does take action against Wilson and the Leafs it would seriously be embarassing itself.

A $60,000 bounty is material enough that the league should definitely investigate it. A $600 bounty is pocket change to these guys.

Complete joke :shakehead

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A few quick questions...

In this context, is Ron Wilson a "Club Actor" per se? Was he really acting on behalf or the Club, or was this a personal arrangement using his own money? Does it matter? Does this mean that Wilson can't buy dinner for the players, using his own money, out of personal appreciation, etc.?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
A few quick questions...

In this context, is Ron Wilson a "Club Actor" per se? Was he really acting on behalf or the Club, or was this a personal arrangement using his own money? Does it matter? Does this mean that Wilson can't buy dinner for the players, using his own money, out of personal appreciation, etc.?

Club actor by virtue of being coach.

Personal action, organization fined.

By strict definition, yes, he cannot.

Section337

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Too bad we don't know the amount for the fine, would be interesting to know if Duhatschek is also making a mountain of a molehill.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
There is an exception for "Traditional Hockey Practices" - but buying dinners would likely not fall under that exception.

CBA Article 50.2(a) said:
This Article 50 does not prohibit certain "Traditional Hockey Practices,"
pursuant to which Clubs or Club Affiliated Entities have provided additional things of de
minimis value to Players including, without limitation, parental travel to an Entry Level
Player's first NHL game (not to exceed $5,000), golf outings, father-son road trips,
seasonal events and seasonal gifts (e.g., picnics and Christmas parties or gifts), and
milestone gifts, so long as such milestone gifts do not exceed $7,500 (U.S.) in the
aggregate per Player per League Year. Such Traditional Hockey Practices shall not be
counted in a Club's Upper Limit or Lower Limit, or against the Players' Share.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There is an exception for "Traditional Hockey Practices" - but buying dinners would likely not fall under that exception.
Originally Posted by CBA Article 50.2(a)
This Article 50 does not prohibit certain "Traditional Hockey Practices,"
pursuant to which Clubs or Club Affiliated Entities have provided additional things of de
minimis value to Players including, without limitation, parental travel to an Entry Level
Player's first NHL game (not to exceed $5,000), golf outings, father-son road trips,
seasonal events and seasonal gifts (e.g., picnics and Christmas parties or gifts), and
milestone gifts, so long as such milestone gifts do not exceed $7,500 (U.S.) in the
aggregate per Player per League Year. Such Traditional Hockey Practices shall not be
counted in a Club's Upper Limit or Lower Limit, or against the Players' Share.

Huh? So they can provide "milestone gifts" (up to $7,500 US) to players if the player reaches a milestone, but not if the Coach reaches a milestone? Hmmm... maybe Wilson should just say it was a late Christmas gift. ;)

I love that "golf outings" are considered one of the "Traditional Hockey Practices". :D

Tinalera

Feb 3, 2007
The Known Universe
Huh? So they can provide "milestone gifts" (up to $7,500 US) to players if the player reaches a milestone, but not if the Coach reaches a milestone? Hmmm... maybe Wilson should just say it was a late Christmas gift. ;)

I love that "golf outings" are considered one of the "Traditional Hockey Practices". :D

:D

But the coach is not considered a player under the cap, they are part of "hockey operations", are they not? The money was deemed as incentive for a player to join the club-he doesn't even belong to the NHLPA.

So I don't understand how someone from hockey operations getting an "incentive" could be seen as a "competitive advantage" as far as non-player is concerned.

Tinalera

Feb 3, 2007
The Known Universe
Just absurd. Someone come & get me off of this planet already. :help::laugh:

I tried to get the aliens to get you, Killion, but they said their ship was full and were in a hurry....they were headed to Phoenix for an report from one of their infiltrators...

Wait a minute here, you don't suppose......

;)

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
so basicly the fine would be 600 bucks the value of forfeiture because the team has to be the one to provide the milestone gift. more a footnote then a news story

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
Wondered if someone caught the exchange of cash on camera after the game. Assume that's why this all got going. No issue with what happened, though it was idiotic to hand cash over in the tunnel right in front of the cameras like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->