Leafs Charity in games has to STOP

leafstilldeath*

I see Leafs have a high percentage of "give aways". I understand that it is a young team and all but why oh why do we still keep on doing it. This charity is costing us the momentum in the games and catching our defense off guard. I sincerely hope Carlyle does something about it.

I see that when the teams are coming from their zone our defensive system is good enough to keep them outside and let the teams take perimeter shots but the turn overs just kill us. The opposing teams get inside position and there is almost always someone open.

Personally I do not think its the defensive system but the brain farts of our players that is causing this. I think Charity has gotta stop now...No more freebies...

What you guys think?

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Several problems actually:

1. The leafs blueline (outside of Phaneuf, Gardiner, Liles) is brutal at passing, they either fire it wide or it gets intercepted which results in a turnover.

2. Our top 6 is small and weak espically along the boards, they generally will lose these battles which result in again turnovers against us.

3. The defence are content chipping it out (when they realize they suck at passing) but again our forwards are small and not overly physical which again results in lost puck battles and turnovers the other way.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It seems like Phaneuf is either exhausted or braindead, since he seems to be lugging the puck a lot less and is doing that signature one foot push off at half speed a lot. His mental sharpness seems worse than usual.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It seems like Phaneuf is either exhausted or braindead, since he seems to be lugging the puck a lot less and is doing that signature one foot push off at half speed a lot. His mental sharpness seems worse than usual.
I thought that a couple of times tonight. Like his body is there, but his head can't get it to work right. It's a delicate balance right now with all those guys, but he looks like a workhorse that needs fewer minutes and less pressure.

leafstilldeath*

Several problems actually:

1. The leafs blueline (outside of Phaneuf, Gardiner, Liles) is brutal at passing, they either fire it wide or it gets intercepted which results in a turnover.

2. Our top 6 is small and weak espically along the boards, they generally will lose these battles which result in again turnovers against us.

3. The defence are content chipping it out (when they realize they suck at passing) but again our forwards are small and not overly physical which again results in lost puck battles and turnovers the other way.

Montreal forwards are not that big but they seem to be doing quite well as a team. Of course does not hurt when they have Price in the net but still they are scoring quite a lot of goals with "smurf land players" I wish Leafs players showed more heart

Really ticking me off when we blow of leads all the time. We could have easily won quite a few games if not for giveaways. And funny thing is that when we have giveaways the puck most certainly ends up in our net not often the case when we get giveaways from other teams.

confusing

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Too many blown leads against weak teams and points left on the table in shootout losses. Yes, there is a lot of charity to go around..

rwb

Jan 28, 2013
Weird. I was just on NHL.com looking at some of the RTS (Real-Time Stats) and had no idea that both Phaneuf and Bozak were right near the top (Dion 4th, Bozak 6th) of the league in giveaways...

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I thought that a couple of times tonight. Like his body is there, but his head can't get it to work right. It's a delicate balance right now with all those guys, but he looks like a workhorse that needs fewer minutes and less pressure.

Pure and simple, he just ain't a 6.5 million defense man! Just ain't!!!

Calgary figured that out, and, that's why he's a Leaf today.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Weird. I was just on NHL.com looking at some of the RTS (Real-Time Stats) and had no idea that both Phaneuf and Bozak were right near the top (Dion 4th, Bozak 6th) of the league in giveaways...

Bozak is also 6th in takeaways.

Other players in the top 10 in giveaways include Kovalchuk, Letang, Markov, Seabrook, and St. Louis.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Pure and simple, he just ain't a 6.5 million defense man! Just ain't!!!

Calgary figured that out, and, that's why he's a Leaf today.
He is what he is, which is pretty damn good. He is among the top 20 to 30 defensemen in the league. That's nothing to sniff at. Flaws and all, he is still our most valuable defenseman, the guy with the greatest responsibility who piles up the most minutes. What he is is somebody who is imperfect but extremely useful. Subtract him from our defense and see how confident you feel. Though I think Carlyle needs to use him less for the good of the player and the team, there is a reason why the coach finds it difficult to resist the temptation to ride him until he drops.

You want a do-over on the Calgary trade? Better take a vote first.

leafstilldeath*

Bozak is also 6th in takeaways.

Other players in the top 10 in giveaways include Kovalchuk, Letang, Markov, Seabrook, and St. Louis.

Have you looked at the team giveaways.

My only problem is when we giveaway puck usually ends up in our net not so much the other teams. We will play awesome defensively and boom will lose the game while when other teams have brainfarts somehow the puck hardly turns up behind their goal line

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

He's playing far too many minutes in all pressure situations.

He really needs to be a 1b, or optimally, a 2a defenseman.

JMHO.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
He's playing far too many minutes in all pressure situations.

Disagree! He's a #1D, his job is to log top minutes against the other teams best players and play in all situations.I do think though Phaneuf needs a steady anchor beside him who can play similar type minutes, looking back at his Calgary days he had his best years with guys like Regher and Hamrlik.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Same old story with these team but we've improved significantly but it will take time before we make the jump to the next level.

Relying on 5 relatively inexperienced Dmen in Kostka, Holzer, Fraser, Gardiner and Frason will create these types of issues but the team needs to go through these experiences to get better.

Our 2 veteran Dmen in Phaneuf and Liles have also never been noted for their defensive acumen.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
our puck support is terrible imo, especially in the defensive end go watch some LA games there puck support when there playing good is unbelievable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad