Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Caps 2.5.2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Stephen Whyno @SWhyno
#Caps lines: Wolski-Ribeiro-Ovechkin, Chimera-Backstrom-Brouwer, Johansson-Crabb-Ward, Hendricks-Beagle-Fehr/Perreault

Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno
Why is Hamrlik not playing for #Caps? "I don't know," he said. Oates said it's more about who is playing: http://wtim.es/14AlTqY

Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno
Asked Adam Oates about #Caps goaltender vs. #Leafs tomorrow. "Still deciding" he said. Neuvirth, Holtby off at about same time

Toronto plays Carolina tonight.

“First of all, you gotta respect them,” Oates explained on Monday. “You have to respect who it is and I do.

“[Then] you gotta get his trust, which is second. And when he trusts you, you can try to provide information.

“It’s not about changing anybody. It’s adding to their game. You want to give them information that can make them better. But until they trust you, there’s going to be a wall there, and I understand that.”

http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey-washington-capitals/talk/oates-3-steps-respect-trust-instruction

Last edited:

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
We need a desperate win tomorrow. Can't be trying to catchup late.

Hat trick from Ovi..? Had flashes of the old, last game.

Last edited:

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
This is a must win IMO. I hope Kessel doesn't decide to let loose.

And I'm not sure how Oates could judge Hamlik's play on just the first couple of games with his new system and new players. And from what I saw Hamrlik is/was the least of this team's problems. But Schultz is becoming a problem on the third pair IMHO.

Neuvirth back in net is a good thing. They are both young goalies but Neuvy has made the more stellar saves. To the point where I wouldn't have taken him out to begin with - even back to back.

Anyway........must win game. LOL Has Brouwer been watching Cammalleri too much?

IkeaMonkey*

These pre game threads are something new.

Know what else is new recently?

Losing a lot.

Get with the program. They are bad luck.

Zorak

Dec 19, 2007
That's our problem - pre-game threads : )

Bilyaletdinov is the only russian coach considered good enough for NT, and with Sochi just around the corner, chances of him leaving NT are zero.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
The Good: Capitals will win their second game in the month of February

The Bad: Capitals will win only one more game in the month of February and that'll be against the Panthers at home.

The Ugly: Capitals record for the month of February will be 3-9

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
two "gentlemen" in business wear engaged oates in the parking lot after work one day. they told him that if hamlik played again, coach would need a walker. rumor is these men are associates of both mr brouwer and mr hoffa. :)

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
There's only been 2 before this one. The Sabres and Sens. 1-1. .500 is bad luck!

He wasn't being serious. He rarely is.

Thanks for making the thread.

Clearly Oates has gotten the dont play Hammer memo, just the To: field has been updated

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
tank-crash-army-accident-armored-vehicle-driven-off-cliff.jpg

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Because posting in 3 different topics is logical right?

Just posting everything in the other 2 threads has had it's fair run. And 0 cups. We even had all trades buried in "the" thread. Inevitably and awkwardly, someone from another team would start our big news threads :laugh:.

Fun fact: prospect bust anton had his own stickied thread for a season and no one cared. But me of course.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
If the Leafs come out and play like they are tonight. They will put a TD on us.

Have to say its nice to watch a team that plays this hard.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Cam Ward plays puck outside of crease, then covers it and McClement gets a penalty for icing him and Carolina scores to take the lead on the PP.

****ing Pejorative Slured refs.

sunnydaycrash

Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver
Watched Oates' post practice press conference today....got to say, the more I hear him , the more I like him and think he can turn this thing around.
His preaching of the bigger picture, communication and patience is an impressive thing, more so now considering the rough start.

Come on McPhee, get the man some ammo!

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Watched Oates' post practice press conference today....got to say, the more I hear him , the more I like him and think he can turn this thing around.
His preaching of the bigger picture, communication and patience is an impressive thing, more so now considering the rough start.

Come on McPhee, get the man some ammo!

Saw your post and went and watched the vid. I agree. Very encouraging how even-keel he is, but sincere and forthcoming. Not the silly pat answers we got from Hunter. But man, your last point is so right on. He needs a roster that can perform.

I don't think McPhee is the man to make that happen. And I really care if it happens this year at all. At this point, I'm fine with tanking the year, getting a nice high draft pick and retooling in the offseason ahead of a real training camp, etc.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Just play "good hockey" win or lose. (I'm trying to follow the Oates' mantra).

As for Ovechkin, who seemed to be more motivated against Pittsburgh, I'm not looking for the same thing tonight. He was on the big stage and against his huge rivals in Crosby and Malkin. If that doesn't motivate him nothing will. Unfortunately that same environment won't exist tonight. And as Ribeiro continues to score at a PPG pace I find it more difficult to find excuses for Alexander Ovechkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad