Confirmed with Link: Leafs Can Carlyle

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I just don't see a coach going into Toronto and being able to work with that team. They have too many individuals that can't play in a defensive system. I thought Randy did a decent job of really playing to their strengths on the rush. The reality is that he would eventually be fired, they just simply cannot continue to rely on amazing goal-tending and timely scoring every game.

I can't think of any coach that would take that job off the top of my head. You have the Toronto media to contend with along with several players that have shown a disinterest in playing a team game. Geoff Ward is the only person I could think of that might take the game just to coach in the NHL. He'd bring a solid resume and a good defensive mindset into that locker room.
Well posted. Leafs are a flawed team with flawed players. One you guys know well. This team lacks a #1 and #2 C that can compete against the league's best teams. Also a true #1D.

I expect the Bruins to pass us when game 82 is played. Wilson and Carlyle couldn't get this core to play 2 way hockey. I don't expect a new coach to either.

Carlyle was the scapegoat, I think he probably relieved he doesn't have to try to force a square peg into a round hole anymore. He could not get through to Kessel and co. More Kessel in reality.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Well posted. Leafs are a flawed team with flawed players. One you guys know well. This team lacks a #1 and #2 C that can compete against the league's best teams. Also a true #1D.

I expect the Bruins to pass us when game 82 is played. Wilson and Carlyle couldn't get this core to play 2 way hockey. I don't expect a new coach to either.

Carlyle was the scapegoat, I think he probably relieved he doesn't have to try to force a square peg into a round hole anymore. He could not get through to Kessel and co. More Kessel in reality.

Well we apparently are looking to find Soderberg a new home..and I want JVR, so get on the blower

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Phil is under a lot of criticism in Toronto right now. Google Watters comments on Kessel. In addition Spott's comments on him this summer if you are interested.

He deserves it too.I saw Bruins stand by him when he was sick and he later bashes city n team.Its all about Phil.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He deserves it too.I saw Bruins stand by him when he was sick and he later bashes city n team.Its all about Phil.

Some of my fellow Leafs fans will defend him to no ends. Which is fine. Some are starting to turn on him. I know Bruins fans feelings on Phil for years now. I used to talk to many Bruins fans on another board. I think Leafs fans are starting to understand the comments on Phil. It does seem more about him then what is good for the team.

Watters comments and Wilson's comments and his recent games have all spiked an anti Kessel backlash that all coincided with Caryle's firing.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Some of my fellow Leafs fans will defend him to no ends. Which is fine. Some are starting to turn on him. I know Bruins fans feelings on Phil for years now. I used to talk to many Bruins fans on another board. I think Leafs fans are starting to understand the comments on Phil. It does seem more about him then what is good for the team.

Watters comments and Wilson's comments and his recent games have all spiked an anti Kessel backlash that all coincided with Caryle's firing.

He was my fav player.:( Then Seguin lol Now I go for goalie .Think safe now

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
Wow, how bad did the Leafs stink it up that they're only a point ahead of this sad looking team in an organizational crisis.....

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
both can be stubborn no doubt about it, Carlyle`s biggest issue was his inability to get his players to play some kind of defence, heck, even pretend that they knew where their D zone was

Carlyle tried but, according to Leafs newcomer Roman Polak, some of the players didn't care much for the hard work that it takes to play defense.

That team is a mess and Kessel contributes to it. Thank goodness the Bruins were able to get rid of him.

This, in many ways, remains a dressing room divided.

On one side you have the guys who have been part of winning programs and understand the discipline and sacrifice needed to win on a consistent basis. On the other, with a few exceptions, there are the players who have been through so many ups and downs here that they’re bound to be suffering from blue and white vertigo.

Don’t believe me?

Take it from no-nonsense defenceman Roman Polak, who had spent his entire NHL career in St. Louis before a trade to Toronto last summer. He didn’t flinch when asked why the Leafs haven’t played with enough defensive structure.

“Because it’s hard work,†Polak said before Wednesday’s 6-2 loss to Washington. “It’s always tough to do something you know you don’t like to do. I think we have lots of guys that just want to play offence.â€

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-need-to-bridge-divided-dressing-room/

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Phil is under a lot of criticism in Toronto right now. Google Watters comments on Kessel. In addition Spott's comments on him this summer if you are interested.

no need, same thing has been said about Phil since his Bruin days and it won`t change anytime soon. Excellent offensive player who is completely disinterested/unwilling to think about D

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Carlyle tried but, according to Leafs newcomer Roman Polak, some of the players didn't care much for the hard work that it takes to play defense.

That team is a mess and Kessel contributes to it. Thank goodness the Bruins were able to get rid of him.

This, in many ways, remains a dressing room divided.

On one side you have the guys who have been part of winning programs and understand the discipline and sacrifice needed to win on a consistent basis. On the other, with a few exceptions, there are the players who have been through so many ups and downs here that they’re bound to be suffering from blue and white vertigo.

Don’t believe me?

Take it from no-nonsense defenceman Roman Polak, who had spent his entire NHL career in St. Louis before a trade to Toronto last summer. He didn’t flinch when asked why the Leafs haven’t played with enough defensive structure.

“Because it’s hard work,†Polak said before Wednesday’s 6-2 loss to Washington. “It’s always tough to do something you know you don’t like to do. I think we have lots of guys that just want to play offence.â€

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-need-to-bridge-divided-dressing-room/

Thx Alan, can`t imagine what sucker willingly wants to take on that bunch and be named permanent head coach?

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
he`d be perfect in Arizona where nobody bothers paying a bit of attention to the team and he can play his selfish, one dimensional game

On the main board, a couple of posters suggested Kessel for OEL in a one-for-one trade, but I don't think that Arizona touches that. Which team would take on Kessel and the price it would pay to get him, given the increasing number of stories (and on-ice evidence) of his often selfish and disinterested play?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
On the main board, a couple of posters suggested Kessel for OEL in a one-for-one trade, but I don't think that Arizona touches that. Which team would take on Kessel and the price it would pay to get him, given the increasing number of stories (and on-ice evidence) of his often selfish and disinterested play?

I`d be the first to send Dave Tippet a condolence card

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad