Confirmed with Link: Leafs Can Carlyle

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
I wish the Bz would make a bold move like this. Not neccesarily firing Clode but a big shakeup of some sort...
:help:

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I just don't see a coach going into Toronto and being able to work with that team. They have too many individuals that can't play in a defensive system. I thought Randy did a decent job of really playing to their strengths on the rush. The reality is that he would eventually be fired, they just simply cannot continue to rely on amazing goal-tending and timely scoring every game.

I can't think of any coach that would take that job off the top of my head. You have the Toronto media to contend with along with several players that have shown a disinterest in playing a team game. Geoff Ward is the only person I could think of that might take the game just to coach in the NHL. He'd bring a solid resume and a good defensive mindset into that locker room.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The embarrassment of needing a shootout to beat the Bruins is probably what led to this.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I just don't see a coach going into Toronto and being able to work with that team. They have too many individuals that can't play in a defensive system. I thought Randy did a decent job of really playing to their strengths on the rush. The reality is that he would eventually be fired, they just simply cannot continue to rely on amazing goal-tending and timely scoring every game.

I can't think of any coach that would take that job off the top of my head. You have the Toronto media to contend with along with several players that have shown a disinterest in playing a team game. Geoff Ward is the only person I could think of that might take the game just to coach in the NHL. He'd bring a solid resume and a good defensive mindset into that locker room.

Tortorella?

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Think maybe they hire Dallas Eakins. Guy was a great coach in the A for them. Knows the kids. But knowing this franchise, they probably get the walrus.

Seeing the methods that that org has used recently in hiring. I wouldn't be surprised if Shanahan has a conversation with a random fan on a plane and decided to put him in as coach.

FrankBruins

Sep 5, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
People talking about blowing it all up this season for the Leafs. I guess if they're going to do so anyway, maybe now is the perfect timing. It's still early enough to get a top 5 pick if you tank the right way. Heck if this team can't get 20 shots on goal in a game, imagine them without Lupul/Bozak/Gardiner/Franson and maybe even Phil Kessel.

I figure you tank the most you can and cross your fingers you win the lottery. If not you still get a very solid prospect to go along with Reilly and Nylander.

Anyway, if the Leafs implode, that's a window opening for the Bruins. You'd only have to beat Florida or Washington for that last spot. Of course there's always the possibility that a young decimated roster thrives in Toronto and sneaks in, but if we get less points than a diluted version of the Toronto Maple Leafs then it's true we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

acr*

They'll promote one of the assistants for the time being and offer Babcock a king's ransom in the summer. If Detroit was going to re-sign him, it would have happened by now. Money isn't an issue for Illitch. Detroit is finally on the downswing, Babcock knows he can't win there, and coaching in Toronto would just be too much for his ego to pass up.

Carlyle is a good coach and didn't deserve this nonsense from the Leafs. They screwed with the type of team he could coach and the chemistry in the room and it just got to be a bad match. He'll land on his feet. Hell, if things continue to go south with Clode and a change needs to be made, I would totally take him here.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Both Toronto and Ottawa who are neck and neck with us in the standings fire their coach despite having far less expectations then the Bruins, what does this tell you ? It tells me that management for whatever reason hasn't got the stones to do what needs to be done, that is fire Julien, the on-ice product is not only playing losing hockey, but extremely dull boring hockey.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
A poorly constructed team who led to the firing of the coach. Carlyle did the best he could...

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Both Toronto and Ottawa who are neck and neck with us in the standings fire their coach despite having far less expectations then the Bruins, what does this tell you ? It tells me that management for whatever reason hasn't got the stones to do what needs to be done, that is fire Julien, the on-ice product is not only playing losing hockey, but extremely dull boring hockey.

Tells me that the Leafs and to a lesser degree the Sens continue to be knee jerk reaction teams that are never going to have any success.

If you want to follow the lead of the Leafs and Sens call for it but I am all set with following in the footsteps of either one.

So the leafs are going to rebuild again. what is this rebuild 1,976,432 since 1967?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So the team, with a better record than the Bruins (Albeit only slightly) just fired their coach, who also has an extension starting in 2015-16, yet the Bruins are satisfied with the job Julien is doing.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Tells me that the Leafs and Sens continue to be knee jerk reaction teams that are never going to have any success.

If you want to follow the lead of the Leafs and Sens call for it but I am all set with following in the footsteps of either one.

So the leafs are going to rebuild again. what is this rebuild 1,976,432 since 1967?

I didn't agree with the Sens firing, but Carlyle in TO had to go, just a bad fit. Caryle is more suited to coaching a team like Boston then TO. At least these teams are trying to do something, Boston has looked terrible most of the year, it's not a knee jerk reaction, Julien should not get a lifetime pass because he won the cup, the guy has been fired twice before for a reason.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I didn't agree with the Sens firing, but Carlyle in TO had to go, just a bad fit. Caryle is more suited to coaching a team like Boston then TO. At least these teams are trying to do something, Boston has looked terrible most of the year, it's not a knee jerk reaction, Julien should not get a lifetime pass because he won the cup, the guy has been fired twice before for a reason.

I didn't say give him a lifetime pass I said if your using what the leafs do as an organization as a lead for what you would like the Bruins to do I am not getting on that bandwagon with you because they are the last team other then maybe the Isles that I would want the Bruins to follow their lead.

If you had the Wings doing it after a bad 1/2 season with injuries to their top D and #1 center and used them as an example I would maybe listen. Leafs sorry no thanks.

Goom 35

May 16, 2009
So the team, with a better record than the Bruins (Albeit only slightly) just fired their coach, who also has an extension starting in 2015-16, yet the Bruins are satisfied with the job Julien is doing.

It's as if management were caustiously taking Julien's incredibly successful track record with the organization into consideration. CRAZY!

Serge A Storms

Apr 21, 2013
Connecticut

Both Toronoto and Ottawa have been bad for a long time. The Bruins have not. Add a strong draft next year, and it's pretty much that simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad