Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Bruins - tonight

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I am the biggest fan of matthews. But I want him to start dominating. He is playing good but I expect more. He should be one of the best in the world. When he is on his game and intense, he uses his body and just takes over.

Marner is out to lunch imo. No idea what happened to him. Completely off his game.

Rielly is just as bad as marner so far. He keeps thinking he has to score and rack up points. He needs to understand that he is a defenceman first. Literally blows out of the zone everytime we get the puck. He needs to wake up and quickly.

Marner and rielly need to wake up completely. I want matthews to take another step and be the generational player we all believe he is.

Oh and no more marner with matthews please. Babcock is the worst but that is one thing I agree with.

Reactions: Treebeard

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I couldn’t be more underwhelmed with Barrie, considering he’s supposed to be top pair worthy. Soft as butter, bad reads, hasn’t contributed very much offensively. There is no way this guy deserves a huge pay day in the offseason and Muzzin is much more valuable to this team at this point. Starting to see why Avs we’re willing to part with him, he looks a bad fit for us at the moment. Things can change, just a commentary on “to date”.
When he went to go pick his stick up in OT. Haha

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I am the biggest fan of matthews. But I want him to start dominating. He is playing good but I expect more. He should be one of the best in the world. When he is on his game and intense, he uses his body and just takes over.

Marner is out to lunch imo. No idea what happened to him. Completely off his game.

Rielly is just as bad as marner so far. He keeps thinking he has to score and rack up points. He needs to understand that he is a defenceman first. Literally blows out of the zone everytime we get the puck. He needs to wake up and quickly.

Marner and rielly need to wake up completely. I want matthews to take another step and be the generational player we all believe he is.

Oh and no more marner with matthews please. Babcock is the worst but that is one thing I agree with.

It was interesting to see Matthews around the 2nd period or so last night. He just suddenly decided he wanted the puck...and he got it, and no one was able to take it back. Completely different player from earlier in the game, and against Boston. Reminds me of Barzal in that way.

You just wonder - why isn't that the mindset every shift? I mean we all slack on occasion, but not all of us have the opportunity he has to be leave a mark on an organization, or even a sport. The talent is there.

His passing also seems kind of bad, although that chip pass was silky.

Reactions: Madap

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
not to hopeful for this one.

if hutch plays well, maybe wel have a chance.

whats with all these back to back ins October. its our 3rd of 4th in the month alone.

the bruins havent played a single one!

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I am happy I kept my hype level in check coming into this season.. I was always hopeful, and still am something will click.. But December onwards last year and the start to this year are identical.

Inconsistent efforts period to period. Lack of care by the team in their own end and in general unless they are in a situation where they can score. Lack of emotion in the games. Shaky goaltending, shaky special teams (outside of the PK lately), etc.

Our bottom 6 has been the only reason we've been competitive most games. Marner has had flashes, but has been overall bad and not worth his money. Outside of 1 shift a few games back, Tavares has been horrible this season. Matthews shows up when he feels like it, and once again is invisible the past few games showing up to score a goal and then vanishing.

It's just frustrating because we know how the team can play. Matthews can take over games, Marner can create so much time and space and cause so much havoc. Freddy can be a stone wall, and our defense can play structured. However the more time that goes on, the more they fall back into the same habits.

Honestly for these reasons I think a coaching change needs to happen. Wouldn't even be opposed to a coaching change and a major blockbuster type trade to really send the message that it's time to win.

I'm sorry but when the kids decided they were going to get overpaid and paid like the best of the best despite winning nothing, the expectations changed to them being the best and winning some stuff. So far this season, that hasn't happened. They don't get the benefit of "oh they are young".. Nope. Should have taken a cheaper deal then so we could have better vets to help you guys.

I am not convinced this is even a playoff lock of a team yet. There is a serious wake up call needed for all of them, but honestly they have gotten it over and over again and still look the same. They aren't getting it.

Dubas completely failed in cap strapping the team and failing to secure decent goaltending depth. Barrie is painfully average. Nylander is looking like he is what he is.. He will be a 65-70 point winger for Matthews, but will basically just be worth his contract. Marner's contract is a disgrace and Matthews deal is nearly as bad.

No hope tonight. Some of that is a back to back.. Some of that is Hutch. Most of it is Boston has proven that over significant sample size, Leafs are their bitch.

I expect a loss tonight pretty badly. I expect the same BS we've watched for nearly 3/4 of a season going back to last year. Stretches of dominance followed by falling asleep and lazy defensive plays letting the other teams back into it, and poorly times penalties.

I really reallllly want to be proven wrong, but I just don't have the hope they will. Still way better than the old Leafs though, so I enjoy what I can. However unless there is either serious maturity in the room, or a coaching / roster change can provide the spark, I don't have as much faith as I once did that this team will ever win the cup.

Even Buffalo and these kinds of teams core players play with more heart and effort than ours. They just go through the motions, happy to get a point in the game and check out otherwise.

None of them take getting beat personally. None of them care. They are just rich superstars enjoying the life.

Rant over I guess... But no improvements in 2 years despite the roster being better last year and this year is inexcusable, and there has to be something done.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Strange that the Leafs would play on the same night that the Raps raise the banner (from an MLSE point of view). Hoping for the best tonight, but can't help but feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. Then on Saturday, coming off another back to back... 5 games in 8 nights against the Habs. The two teams I want to beat most, not to mention playoff seedings. Why not play Andersen tonight and Hutch on Friday? It gives Andersen 3 full days before Saturday. Although after last night, I am sure he would prefer his ice bath.

Having said all that, the Leafs got 7 points over their last five games. Not all bad.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I don't get why people are all over Matthews and saying he should dominate. He is playing good hockey right now and working on his 2 way game learning from his mistakes.

I wonder if people compare him to McDavid and think boy Matthews is not working hard cause McDavid flies around the rink and is so fast and dynamic out there that even if Matthews is dominating it doesn't look as cool as McDavid.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I don't get why people are all over Matthews and saying he should dominate. He is playing good hockey right now and working on his 2 way game learning from his mistakes.

I wonder if people compare him to McDavid and think boy Matthews is not working hard cause McDavid flies around the rink and is so fast and dynamic out there that even if Matthews is dominating it doesn't look as cool as McDavid.

He's gonna get compared to McDavid with his contract being so close to his. That's on him for wanting that much money. He wants it, fine, but go out and dominate when you're on the ice . They didn't really earn those contracts to begin with so they gotta prove they are worth that now. Matthews has been pretty good this season though.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
anyone who's complaining about Matthews' play to start the year simply can't be taken seriously. he's controlling play at both ends of the rink and scoring a ton of goals

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Strange that the Leafs would play on the same night that the Raps raise the banner (from an MLSE point of view). Hoping for the best tonight, but can't help but feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. Then on Saturday, coming off another back to back... 5 games in 8 nights against the Habs. The two teams I want to beat most, not to mention playoff seedings. Why not play Andersen tonight and Hutch on Friday? It gives Andersen 3 full days before Saturday. Although after last night, I am sure he would prefer his ice bath.

Having said all that, the Leafs got 7 points over their last five games. Not all bad.

Well, it all can change so fast. If Leafs lose tonight, that's 7 points in last 6 games. Not nearly as good. Needed to win last night, didn't. Now they are facing the Bruins with a barely nhl caliber goalie.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Teams are focusing on Reilly as they know that he is as soft as butter in his own end.

Honestly, he looks like a dude that broke up with his long-standing girlfriend.

Completely unfocused and timid in his own end.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This one ain’t gonna be pretty
upload_2019-10-22_12-28-49.png

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
anyone who's complaining about Matthews' play to start the year simply can't be taken seriously. he's controlling play at both ends of the rink and scoring a ton of goals

Yup he was real good controlling the play on the Dubois goal. Matthews was dominant to start last year before he was hurt. He was been good but he can be better and more consistent. He needs to be better in our end.

Reactions: rubous

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yup he was real good controlling the play on the Dubois goal. Matthews was dominant to start last year before he was hurt. He was been good but he can be better and more consistent. He needs to be better in our end.
he must be the first player to ever get beat on a goal with the way people are latching on to that. So far he's got the best xGA/60 on the leafs

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
he must be the first player to ever get beat on a goal with the way people are latching on to that. So far he's got the best xGA/60 on the leafs

Not denying he is not an elite talent but there is room to grow on the defensive side of the puck. Many are saying that he is not a great 200 foot player and last night we saw a couple of examples.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Not denying he is not an elite talent but there is room to grow on the defensive side of the puck. Many are saying that he is not a great 200 foot player and last night we saw a couple of examples.

I'd say hes not as constant of a 200 foot player as we want. He has brilliant moments, then lapses in his own end.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
A win tonight would be huge for the Leafs. I'm not holding my breath though!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad