Prospect Info: Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #5

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards.

Rankings:
1. Morgan Rielly - 92.86%
2. Frederik Gauthier - 32.39%
3. Matt Finn - 43.32%
4. Joe Colborne - 65.44%

Tony Cameranesi
Spencer Abbott
Kenny Ryan
Greg McKegg
Tom Nilsson
Carter Ashton
Tyler Biggs
Stuart Percy
Brad Ross
Jesse Blacker
Josh Leivo
Jerry D'Amigo
Garret Sparks
Mark Owuya
Petter Granberg

Andrew Crescenzi
Sam Carrick
Kevin Marshall
Tyler Brenner
Marcel Mueller
Jamie Devane
David Broll
Max Everson
Andrew MacWilliam
Dennis Robertson
Simon Gysbers
Eric Knodel
Dominic Toninato
Connor Brown
Ryan Rupert
Viktor Loov
Carter Verhaeghe
Fabrice Herzog
Antoine Bibeau
Andreas Johnson
Prospect Ranking #1
Prospect Ranking #2
Prospect Ranking #2 - Tie Breaker
Prospect Ranking #3
Prospect Ranking #4

Suggest who I should add next :)

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Stuart Percy. He's been insanely underrated because he isn't flashy. He's actually very polished.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
If u think percy is good... you need to watch granny, guy is a legit dark horse to make the leafs this year

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
To me, Leivo and Percy are on the same level of value so either one here works. I voted Leivo but took me a good minute before deciding.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Biggs. Seriously, people here under rate him. I'm not even sure why.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I'm surprised by the results. Percy has a much better chance of being and impact player at the NHL level than Leivo.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Voted for Biggs.

There's good prospects left, stop being so dramatic lol.

Didn't you know that every one had blue chip prospects from #1 to #10?

I mean, only the Leafs have nothing after #1 and perhaps #2.

Psshhhhhhh.

:sarcasm:

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Biggs
(Although between him, Percy, Leivo and Granberg i really haven't seen enough footage to know who is better ... Biggs could be a 20g/20a/Fighter player in the NHL and i count how many of those there are on my two hands)

... and i don't find it depressing. We could clear 10 prospects who are likely to be real contributors in the NHL for years to come. It's not as though the other 29 teams have a bunch of future 1st liners EACH.

There's only (Mathematically) 90 of them in the league + 60 top pair D-Men for 150. Lets say they are that for on average 10 years each. This because some are at the top for less time due to injury or development time mixed with falling off by 32-34 years ... and a select few others can be there as long as 15 years, say 21-36.

So to produce 150 top line players every 10 years there must be a TOTAL of 15 first line or first pairing players in each draft. ONLY 15. That's 0.5 top players per team, per year average.

Lets scratch this years draft because it was only a week ago. We'll go from draft day to the end of that draft year and start with the '09 draft as it is Burkes first year, it marks some other management changes and includes Kadri. 4 draft years = a league average of about 2 top line players drafted.

Nazem Kadri
Morgan Reilley.
THAT'S TWO.

Some people around here seem to think we might have one or two more in the list who will become first liners. Any number of you can probably look to at least one other name on this list you think could become that. If even one does we've beaten the middle point on drafting for the last 4 seasons for top line players.

Then you look at the list as a whole and say we can clear the top 10 and think that every one of them has a good chance to have a decent NHL career.

The farm system looks pretty damn sweet to me.

Last edited:

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Not depressing when were on our fifth best prospect and he's still got a really good chance of being an impactful NHLer.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Leivo.

Percy has zero upside. Biggs even more so.

EDIT: To the people that can't accept these two probably being underwhelming NHLers.. Rather than tell me about how awesome they are at checking and playing steady defense, maybe take the time to realize our scouting staff plucked Leivo in the 3rd round as a raw player with limited points. That's probably more encouraging if you want to be a homer.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Leivo.

Percy has zero upside. Biggs even more so.

EDIT: To the people that can't accept these two probably being underwhelming NHLers.. Rather than tell me about how awesome they are at checking and playing steady defense, maybe take the time to realize our scouting staff plucked Leivo in the 3rd round as a raw player with limited points. That's probably more encouraging if you want to be a homer.

:huh:

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
He doesn't. He's timid to make plays and his "steady defensive game" is just a BS narrative. For the life of me I'll never understand why our scouts thought he was a first round pick.

Finn is so. much. better.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
He doesn't. He's timid to make plays and his "steady defensive game" is just a BS narrative. For the life of me I'll never understand why our scouts thought he was a first round pick.

Finn is so. much. better.

Really? I agree that Finn brings more to the table, but I think Percy is a legitimate prospect in his own right. I've seen him a few times and he reminds me of Gunnarsson.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Really? I agree that Finn brings more to the table, but I think Percy is a legitimate prospect in his own right. I've seen him a few times and he reminds me of Gunnarsson.
It's an OK comparison, but Gunnarsson doesn't run away from contact like Percy. Percy has some Phil Kessel type "ahh I'm scared" moments and this is against 18 year olds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad