Prospect Info: Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #3

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
If Gauthier is Leafs 2nd best NHL prospect in the system then Leafs are in trouble. If he meets expectations and becomes the next Martin Hanzal as projected the Leafs prospect pool in not very deep on high-end talent. IMO

Colborne's talent level is > Gauthier at least offensively anyways.. Gauthier might be the better 2-way all-around player however.

Meh, I am just not enthusiastic about Gauthier. Less so than Colborne.

I wasn't a fan of the pick before his name was discussed during the draft, and when the pick was actually made.

Still blame the Wings for selecting Mantha. But I guess that's payback for the Leafs taking Antropov and Olden in other years when the Wings were high on those guys.

But still if the Leafs were after 3rd liners, because that's all that was there, I would have gone the Hartman route. Then swapped other players and picks to move up in the 2nd round to go after a guy like JT Compher, who I also think they'll regret not taking.

Both are high-energy guys, you'd ideally like as 3rd liners.

Morrison liked his picks. Of course he's going to say that. Mark Seidel gave the Leafs picks a 'C' but I think that was being generous.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Meh, I am just not enthusiastic about Gauthier. Less so than Colborne.

I wasn't a fan of the pick before his name was discussed during the draft, and when the pick was actually made.

Still blame the Wings for selecting Mantha. But I guess that's payback for the Leafs taking Antropov and Olden in other years when the Wings were high on those guys.

But still if the Leafs were after 3rd liners, because that's all that was there, I would have gone the Hartman route. Then swapped other players and picks to move up in the 2nd round to go after a guy like JT Compher, who I also think they'll regret not taking.

Both are high-energy guys, you'd ideally like as 3rd liners.

Morrison liked his picks. Of course he's going to say that. Mark Seidel gave the Leafs picks a 'C' but I think that was being generous.

I don't understand the hate. This guy was the 8th ranked North American skater by Central Scouting (that includes Dmen and Forwards). He was ranked ahead of Mantha and Mueller. He is a big defensively responsible C with Selke level D upside, and great skating for a big man. Although his numbers aren't amazing offensively, PPG for a rookie 17 year old in the Q is nothing to scoff at. Watch him this year in the Q and at the WJC to see his offense come together. He has Bergeron potential, which would be a perfect compliment to Kadri in our top 6 Cs.

I expect to see him in the NHL in 2014-15.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
I don't understand the hate. This guy was the 8th ranked North American skater by Central Scouting (that includes Dmen and Forwards). He was ranked ahead of Mantha and Mueller. He is a big defensively responsible C with Selke level D upside, and great skating for a big man. Although his numbers aren't amazing offensively, PPG for a rookie 17 year old in the Q is nothing to scoff at. Watch him this year in the Q and at the WJC to see his offense come together. He has Bergeron potential, which would be a perfect compliment to Kadri in our top 6 Cs.

I expect to see him in the NHL in 2014-15.

Don't hate the guy, wish him the best of luck, hope he proves me wrong. Leafs could have traded down to get Hartman, or De la Rose, or even Compher.

But I think comparing him to Bergeron is a steep and generous comparison.

Last edited:

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Can't believe Gauthier got selected ahead of Colborne.

Gauthier is not even near as good as Colborne. HFboards sometimes. :shakehead

I would definitely put Gauthier after Colborne, definitely after Finn, and possibly after Percy.

On their draft days and still now, Colborne has had higher potential then Gauthier. Gauthier may become the better role player but Colborne has a better shot at a top 6.

GenericFan2*

#'s 2, 3 & 4 are interchangeable IMO. It's a tie between Colbs and Finn for me, but i'll go with Colborne, as I thought he should have won over Gauthier.

gammaraej

May 20, 2006
I just have to say I love this idea of a thread. Can't wait to see the end results. It'll be interesting to see what happens after Finn and Colbourne.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Don't hate the guy, wish him the best of luck, hope he proves me wrong. Leafs could have traded down to get Hartman, or De la Rose, or even Compher.

But I think comparing him to Bergeron is a steep and generous comparison.

All are wingers, and all unanimously ranked behind Gauthier. We are stacked with young wingers and D prospects. We are extremely thin at C.

Gauthier was the right pick.

Last edited:

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
No love for Biggs?

I watch a crap ton of Marlies games. ...
In fact, when i watched them play Grand rapids in the play-offs last spring, there were maybe a little over 1,000 people in the stands. It was a brutal turn-out. Granted, this was the day after Toronto's Game 6 win vs Boston ... but the turn-out was brutal.

For minor hockey, where many of these newer prospects play, you'd have to be on hockey-streams i suppose... which i will admit, i have not used yet. I'm guessing a lot of people here don't follow all the farm on that (i'm going to get it going into next season though).

So, for a guy like Biggs ... i'm guessing he's just not as sexy and shiny as some others to begin with, although he looks solid from what i've seen... but .. what i've seen is the thing. There's not a lot other than hockey fights on youtube. So my guess is that the majority of people haven't seen him play.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Or vote on potential to ever play in the NHL.

I don't vote on potential. Colbourne will play in the NHL,but I see him as a number 3 C with someone. I haven't seen Finn and he was injured.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
i would have said matt finn, but i haven't seen him played. based on the reports, i'd say him. however, i saw stuart percy at a marlies game playoff, and while he wasn't as dominant as kadri, d'amigo or gardiner, you were forced to notice when he was on the ice: level head, smooth skating and high percentage passes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad