Prospect Info: Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #3

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Can't believe Gauthier got selected ahead of Colborne.

Gauthier is not even near as good as Colborne. HFboards sometimes. :shakehead

I would definitely put Gauthier after Colborne, definitely after Finn, and possibly after Percy.

Have you ever seen him play??!??!?? Holy crap!

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON

I would definitely put Gauthier after Colborne, definitely after Finn, and possibly after Percy.

Joe is a bust. Unless he geta twice as good as he is now in the next few years, he has not developed as hoped. Gauthier is low risk

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Bolborne has Fretzky potential...he justs needs to fut it all gotether.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
LOL...last I checked on the #2 Colborne was slightly ahead, so I voted without looking. Can you change my vote to Colborne?

(not enough coffee yet)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not even close!

Granberg.

Gold medal winner on the best junior team in the world.

20 years old and playing in the SEL since age 18.

6'3", 209 lbs.

Upside is a little limited though. I like him but he's not likely to be much more than a #4-5-6 type defenseman. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Have you ever seen him play??!??!?? Holy crap!

Have you seen Gauthier play? Highlight films on youtube don't really count.

Joe is a bust.

How is he a bust when he's played a grand total 16 NHL games? I'd say he's more lost in the depth chart than anything else. Bozak, Kadri, Grabo, McClement have all ahead of him.

Unless he geta twice as good as he is now in the next few years, he has not developed as hoped.

Dude. The guy played 16 NHL games with very limited minutes. How can anyone grow and develop in those circrumstances?

I've seen Joe play in a few Leafs games, including a couple of playoff games. He wasn't flashy, but was smart enough to be effective and didn't really look all that out of place for who he is.

Gauthier is low risk

Gauthier is not going to be anything special. The guy has no offensive skills. Leafs will rue the day they didn't draft a more effective 3rd liner like Ryan Hartman, who the Hawks picked. The only reason they picked Gauthier was because, he's 'big.'

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Much higher upside than Finn, and Colborne is 23 with how much upside now?

I definitely like Finn better than Granberg. And I also believe coming out of Sweden, Nilsson will be better than Granberg. Nilsson like Finn is very smart, although I'd argue Nilsson plays a more intense game.

Granberg is MacWilliam comparable in skills. Traditonal stay at home defenseman, somewhat physical. Which means he's most likely going to be an AHLer.

Nilsson does everything well from the reports. He's also an antagonizing defenseman, something the Leafs haven't had in forever.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Disagree on Finn v. Granberg. Finn's ceiling is of a two-way, all situation, all around d-man who eats minutes and can contribute offensively. Can we say the same about Granberg's ceiling?

Agree on Colborne.

Colborne is like Biggs was always seen as a project player who teased with potential. He got lost in the Bruins organization, was traded to the Leafs. Did good, got hurt, got setback. Found himself again, and is now NHL borderline.

He's lost in the depth charts though right now. The Leafs have like 100 3rd line centers, and he's in that mix.

He still has NHL potential though. Sitting in the pressbox does nothing to further his career development though. And he did not at the very least look out of step when he played in the playoffs.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think Finn has more upside than Granberg.

But Granberg is showing promise. Top pairing Dman on a Gold winning Swedish MEN'S team at the WC's, a tournament littered with NHLers. How many 2010 prospects can say that? Let alone 4th rounders?

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
I'm glad Abbott got a vote, haha, but #3 is a bit high.
He'll be a PPG player with the Marlies this year easily.
If he's on the top line (he should be), i would expect him to lead the team in scoring.

His skill will translate to the NHL
It's just tough to say how well his size will.
If it does he could surprise a lot of people and be a top 6,
If it doesn't ... then he may end up like Keith Aucion,
being an AHL All-Star for years before making the NHL in his 30's.
Maybe not #3 but i'd have him in my top 10.

Looks like Finn is going to win this one.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

If Gauthier is Leafs 2nd best NHL prospect in the system then Leafs are in trouble. If he meets expectations and becomes the next Martin Hanzal as projected the Leafs prospect pool in not very deep on high-end talent. IMO

Colborne's talent level is > Gauthier at least offensively anyways.. Gauthier might be the better 2-way all-around player however.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I'm glad Abbott got a vote, haha, but #3 is a bit high.
He'll be a PPG player with the Marlies this year easily.
His skill will translate to the NHL
It's just tough to say how well his size will.
If it does he could surprise a lot of people and be a top 6,
If it doesn't ... then he may end up like Keith Aucion,
being an AHL All-Star for years before making the NHL in his 30's.
Maybe not #3 but i'd have him in my top 10.

Looks like Finn is going to win this one.

Ya Abbott has some sick skill and creativity with the puck if his confidence level rose to the point where he would try more, hes really focused on his two way game right now and not really showing all that he can do offensivley, hes got the most top six NHL potential of the group, but hes like 23 or 24...

I voted for Biggs because he has a great all around game and i think he can have the skill to play in the top six. Finn and Percy are both great choices though, i also really like Ross and Ashton but more for lesser roles on the team.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Gauthier is not going to be anything special. The guy has no offensive skills. Leafs will rue the day they didn't draft a more effective 3rd liner like Ryan Hartman, who the Hawks picked. The only reason they picked Gauthier was because, he's 'big.'

While I agree with you about Gauthier, Big Joe was drafted in 2008 and still hasn't made the cut. At least Gauthier's stock will rise from here on out whereas Colborne's will likely plummet.

Another project player, like Gauthier and Biggs. Not even top 5 prospect worthy.

Colborne was and still is a project..

These rankings are just an indication of how shallow our pool is. After Rielly and Finn all thats left are depth players and a hope and a dream players.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
While I agree with you about Gauthier, Big Joe was drafted in 2008 and still hasn't made the cut. At least Gauthier's stock will rise from here on out whereas Colborne's will likely plummet.

These rankings are just an indication of how shallow our pool is. After Rielly and Finn all thats left are depth players and a hope and a dream players.

Pretty much. I can see Nilsson sneaking in there. I think he's kind of a sleeper.

As for the rest of the Leafs picks, especially the selections this draft, I don't see any of them going anywhere.

In some ways this is a good thing. It means the Leafs finally have a pretty deep team, at least in the NHL.

But it also means aside from Rielly, they lack high-end prospects.

I never got the D'Amigo hype either.

Colborne was and still is a project..

I believe Colborne has been lost in the shuffle. He got lost in the shuffle in Providence, and with the Marlies. He's had mixed success, but he's also going to be lost in the shuffle with the Leafs. He need NHL playing-time before you can decide he's unworthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad