Prospect Ranking #25

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Hello all, I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards.

Rankings:

1. Timothy Liljegren -- 78.7%
2. Andreas Johnsson -- 86.2%
3. Carl Grundstrom -- 49.6%
4. Rasmus Sandin -- 86.2%
5. Sean Durzi -- 26.8%
6. Jeremy Bracco -- 31.3%
7. Yegor Korshkov -- 40.1%
8. Calle Rosen -- 36.8%
9. Pierre Engvall -- 34.6%
10. Joseph Woll -- 30.5%
11. Eemeli Rasanen -- 37.5%
12. Igor Ozhiganov -- 23.2%
13. Semyon Der-Arunitsev -- 26.3%
14. Dmytro Timashov -- 32.3%
15. Filip Kral -- 29.3%
16. Fedor Gordeev -- 29.7%
17. Adam Brooks -- 29.7%
18. Trevor Moore -- 37.9%
19. Riley Stotts -- 26.3%
20. Jesper Lindgren -- 26.9% (tie)
20. Mason Marchment - - 26.9% (tie)
22. Mac Hollowell -- 25.6% (tie)
22. Andrew Nielsen -- 25.6% (tie)
24. Ian Scott -- 26.1%

Kasimir Kaskisuo
Dakota Joshua
Miro Aaltonen
JD Greenway
Ryan O'Connell
Zach Bouthillier
Martins Dzierkals
Brady Ferguson
Nikolai Chebykin
Pontus Holmberg
Vladislav Kara
Eamon McAdam
Ryan McGregor
Semyon Kizimov

Suggest who I should add next. :D

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Chebykin, Kara and Joshua are in my top 20... It'll be a shame if they're not recognized in our top 30 at the very least.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
It’ll be a shame if Aaoltonen is in here over good young’s players though: McGregor, Joshua, Chebykin and Kara.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Scott and Stotts are at least equal to if not better than Chebykin*, Hollo-well I don’t know.
You don't sound very confident?

You think stotts and scott are better Right now than SUbbans little bro or cheby? really? may i ask why?

Hollowell also...what brings him above them?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

You think stotts and scott are better Right now than SUbbans little bro or cheby? really? may i ask why?

This poll doesn't ask who the better player is right now... Its asking who the better prospect is

To me, that means 'Who do you project will have a better hockey career"...

Last edited:

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
This poll doesn't ask who the better player is right now... Its asking who the better prospect is?

To me, that means 'Who do you project will have a better hockey career"...

Ok then why is Calle Rosen there if his career will be a 3rd pairingdefenceman if he's lucky?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Ok then why is Calle Rosen there if his career will be a 3rd pairingdefenceman if he's lucky?

Because when evealuating / predicting players, you have a few things to look at.

To me, it essentially breaks down to:
1) What is their ceiling
2) How likely are they to reach their ceiling?

I agree, Rosen has a lower ceiling, where at BEST he'll be a #4 guy. That said, he is a lot closer to reaching his ceiling than other prospects.

Rosen is higher than my personal liking on this list, but I won't lose sleep over it.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Copy Paste
Reason I'm voting McGregor
Voted 3rd best defensive forward in the OHL WC, killed it in his 1st full season @ C
Strong playoff (Out performed Kyrou, Rymsha, Ang etc)
Plays Hungry
Still playing very underweight and could fill out
Was damn effective, much more than his EP profile would make you think:

Without PP time, and in a shutdown role- McGregor 5v5 Ppg= .5
Other OHL U19's (non shutdown C's and Ws)
Alex Formenton =.6
Isaac Ratcliife= .58
Ryan McLeod =.54

Some high profile U18's
Dellandrea =.45
Hayton=.56

High Profile U20s
Jonathan Ang .58
Max Jones .58
Givani Smith .52

Reactions: hockeynorth

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Positions of the remaining players on Scott Wheelers ranking on The Athletic (age cutoff 22 and under):

Miro Aaltonen - NR
Vladislav Kara - 21.
Dakota Joshua - 14.
Nikolai Chebykin - 20.
Semyon Kizimov - 28.
Ryan McGregor - 29.
Ryan O'Connell - 26.
Kasimir Kaskisuo - NR
Eamon McAdam - NR
Martins Dzierkals - 15.
Pontus Holmberg - 23.
JD Greenway - 30.
Zach Bouthillier - 27.
Brady Ferguson - NR
(J.J. Piccinich - 25.)
(Vladimir Bobylev - 31.)

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Because when evealuating / predicting players, you have a few things to look at.

To me, it essentially breaks down to:
1) What is their ceiling
2) How likely are they to reach their ceiling?

I agree, Rosen has a lower ceiling, where at BEST he'll be a #4 guy. That said, he is a lot closer to reaching his ceiling than other prospects.

Rosen is higher than my personal liking on this list, but I won't lose sleep over it.

never heard anyone say his ceiling is a #4 tbh but i hope it is obviously as a fan.

as a realist i think he's a 6d in the modern nhl if he makes it and i do think he's closer than most of our prospects i guess that helps his rating...but he is super high on this list

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
That ranking is terrible to me personally ha. I see it differently in multiple ways.

Aaltonen is Nhl 4th line ready and likely gone for good because the opportunity was not there for him. Nonetheless he is not 25 ranked anyway. Still own his rights but he'll never play for the Leafs.

Timashov 14th ??? Haha funny joke! Etc.

Reactions: DoobieDubas

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
That ranking is terrible to me personally ha. I see it differently in multiple ways.

Aaltonen is Nhl 4th line ready and likely gone for good because the opportunity was not there for him. Nonetheless he is not 25 ranked anyway. Still own his rights but he'll never play for the Leafs.

Timashov 14th ??? Haha funny joke! Etc.

People are allowed to have differing opinions, my list looks quite different as well.

I cant' tell... do you think Timashov should be higher or lower??

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
People are allowed to have differing opinions, my list looks quite different as well.

I cant' tell... do you think Timashov should be higher or lower??

I think higher for sure. His game is ripe for more quality minutes against stronger competition. Same with Brooksie and Moore should be much higher also. Ranking ohl'ers higher than players making consistent improvements at the Ahl level brings the parameters of the selection process in to the debatable spectrum for me.

For me ranking it is just how close to Nhl ready they have become in their development.

Hopefully that explains my opposition to some of the picks.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Subban's little brother is a terrible defensive player. He should be no where near our top 30.

Chebykin is top 30, but I do not think he is top 25 yet so it's not like he's being snubbed. He could very well be the next Engvall though. He's got the size-speed combo for sure, but he's not there yet.

Hollowell was too high IMO. Stotts maybe goes after Lindgren but he's a center and a recent 3rd round pick. Late teens/early 20's is where he should be and that's where he went. Scott deserves to be top 25 as well.

Aaltonen is by far the largest snub so far. He should be top 20, if not top 15. Now he may not even be top 25.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I think higher for sure. His game is ripe for more quality minutes against stronger competition. Same with Brooksie and Moore should be much higher also. Ranking ohl'ers higher than players making consistent improvements at the Ahl level brings the parameters of the selection process in to the debatable spectrum for me.

For me ranking it is just how close to Nhl ready they have become in their development.

Hopefully that explains my opposition to some of the picks.

You see, I don't even have Timashov in our top 20... and thats hardly a knock on him, thats just how deep I see our prospect pool right now. My list is also using different criteria than yours uses.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Aaltonen.

Kaskisuo, Joshua, Chebykin, Kara, and Holmberg are probably the last 5 for me. I would not be upset if McGregor, Greenway, O'Connell or Dzierkals made their ways in there though. I think all four could skyrocket next year, but I was hoping for more out of them this year. Kizimov and Bouthillier are unknowns right now. Ferguson and McAdam are older and will need to show well in the AHL next year to be considered seriously. Bobylev, Subban and Herzog need to do a lot to be considered anything of significance going forward. Right now Subban is pure AHL depth, and Bobylev and Herzog would be throw in's if the Leafs needed to send something instead of Future Considerations the other way in a trade.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017

Hollowell I wouldn't have above Scott, and I don't know with Chebykin, Hollowell and Chebykin are in the same tier of prospects for me. Stotts is a player that I think will end up an NHL centre, in a third or fourth line capacity, whereas Chebykin I don't see as an NHL player, it's plain as that for me. It's not a poll for best player right now, it's about projection, so yes it kind of is a name your favourite guy poll, because for me, my favourite prospect is the best prospect. Dealing with NHL players, or prospects that are close is a different scenario, but I have consistently voted for who I felt was my "favourite" person for that spot. Read SeaOfBlue's post, it sums up my thoughts on the guys you asked about.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Here is my rankings, and they have not changed by the way, so you can go back and check:
  1. Liljegren
  2. Johnsson
  3. Sandin
  4. Grundstrom
  5. Bracco
  6. Durzi
  7. Korshkov
  8. Engvall
  9. Woll
  10. SDA
  11. Rasanen
  12. Rosen
  13. Brooks
  14. Stotts
  15. Timashov
  16. Moore
  17. Kral
  18. Marchment
  19. Gordeev
  20. Greenway
  21. Lindgren
  22. Scott
  23. Holmberg
  24. McGregor
  25. Nielsen
  26. Kara
  27. Hollowell
  28. Kizimov
  29. Joshua
  30. Bouthillier
  31. Dzierkals
  32. Pinnich
  33. Chebykin
  34. Bobylev
  35. O'Connell

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Here is my rankings, and they have not changed by the way, so you can go back and check:
  1. Liljegren
  2. Johnsson
  3. Sandin
  4. Grundstrom
  5. Bracco
  6. Durzi
  7. Korshkov
  8. Engvall
  9. Woll
  10. SDA
  11. Rasanen
  12. Rosen
  13. Brooks
  14. Stotts
  15. Timashov
  16. Moore
  17. Kral
  18. Marchment
  19. Gordeev
  20. Greenway
  21. Lindgren
  22. Scott
  23. Holmberg
  24. McGregor
  25. Nielsen
  26. Kara
  27. Hollowell
  28. Kizimov
  29. Joshua
  30. Bouthillier
  31. Dzierkals
  32. Pinnich
  33. Chebykin
  34. Bobylev
  35. O'Connell

O'Connell should not be at the bottom. Bobylev is by far our worst prospect on that list. Also surprised Chebykin is so low.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
You see, I don't even have Timashov in our top 20... and thats hardly a knock on him, thats just how deep I see our prospect pool right now. My list is also using different criteria than yours uses.

I'm usually not giving a unknown a higher ranking on the grounds of the progression to the final goal of developing.

I would rank Bracco much higher also etc. I'm curious of your ranking criteria if you find time some time. Maybe you have a way that is better than mine that makes sense. I actually hope you do ha!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad