Prospect Ranking #24

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Hello all, I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards.

Rankings:

1. Timothy Liljegren -- 78.7%
2. Andreas Johnsson -- 86.2%
3. Carl Grundstrom -- 49.6%
4. Rasmus Sandin -- 86.2%
5. Sean Durzi -- 26.8%
6. Jeremy Bracco -- 31.3%
7. Yegor Korshkov -- 40.1%
8. Calle Rosen -- 36.8%
9. Pierre Engvall -- 34.6%
10. Joseph Woll -- 30.5%
11. Eemeli Rasanen -- 37.5%
12. Igor Ozhiganov -- 23.2%
13. Semyon Der-Arunitsev -- 26.3%
14. Dmytro Timashov -- 32.3%
15. Filip Kral -- 29.3%
16. Fedor Gordeev -- 29.7%
17. Adam Brooks -- 29.7%
18. Trevor Moore -- 37.9%
19. Riley Stotts -- 26.3%
20. Jesper Lindgren -- 26.9% (tie)
20. Mason Marchment - - 26.9% (tie)
22. Mac Hollowell -- 25.6% (tie)
22. Andrew Nielsen -- 25.6% (tie)

Kasimir Kaskisuo
Dakota Joshua
Miro Aaltonen
JD Greenway
Ryan O'Connell
Zach Bouthillier
Martins Dzierkals
Ian Scott
Brady Ferguson
Nikolai Chebykin
Pontus Holmberg
Vladislav Kara
Eamon McAdam
Ryan McGregor
Semyon Kizimov

Suggest who I should add next. :D

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Chebykin, then Kara, then Joshua.

You guys are really sleeping on these three... all top 20 prospects in our system IMHO.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Andrew Nielsen has fallen quite a bit. What happened with him. I heard his skating wasn’t that good.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Can you provide insight on Kara and Chebykin?

I won't pretend to be an expert, but I think they've shown solid progression in Russia... For some reason, much of North America still really overlooks Russian players/prospects.

Chebykin is a big (6'04"), speedy winger who started playing VHL/KHL in his U20 season... He was somewhere in the top 10 among U21 in VHL scoring this past season, despite having to go through some transition moving to a new club as his previous one folded under IIRC. He was also the top 'young' player on his CHAMPIONSHIP winning VHL team. Young is relative, as where Chebykin was 20, his peers are mostly 24-26.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chebykin rise in our prospect rankings similarily to Engvall has this past season.

Similar arguments can be made with Kara. Where Chebykin is a big winger, Kara is an average-sized centerman. But Kara also started playing VHL/KHL in his U20 season, and produced a respectful 0.45PPG and was top 5 among U20 players in the VHL last season. He was also the top 'young' player on his team, and didn't have the luxury of playing on the VHL winning team, as Bars Kazan didn't make the playoffs (they were ranked #18 in the league).

Kara is a year younger than Chebykin and you can make an argument he had just as good of a season.

Reactions: Once and Raymoondo

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I won't pretend to be an expert, but I think they've shown solid progression in Russia... For some reason, much of North America still really overlooks Russian players/prospects.

Much appreciated.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I think McGregor here, I'm still stuck between him and Scott. Not to mention Kara (similar to McGregor by reports), Holmberg and Joshua. I would have put atlas the first two ahead of Nielsen and Hollowell and the last three its a hard choice. Going to go McGregor though, watch for him to have a huge year this year and then be a strong candidate for 4C down the line. Kid put up great numbers with limited PP time. Scott has been in mention for Team Canada, so he's clearly a solid prospect. Then there's the Swedish Special in Holmberg (watch for him to rise in the next few years). Joshua who's a sleeper, and Kara who could be another 4C candidate down the line (only C available for the foreseeable future).

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I trust in Bergman AND some fairly impressive numbers from a 18 year old playing against adults: Pontus Holmberg.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I trust in Bergman AND some fairly impressive numbers from a 18 year old playing against adults: Pontus Holmberg.

He did OK in the J20 SuperElit league, not against adults. He managed 20 pts in 36 games in Sweden's 3rd tier league. I don't think we should get excited about him quite yet.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
I've been voting for Pontus. Not that I have any kind of real knowledge about the guy, but he's headed for the SHL next season from what I understand. From the track history of these picks it's obviously in the corner of my mind that he might just go ahead and post some numbers and next summer we're all throwing him into the top-10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad