Half-Assed GDT: Leafs @ Blues

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
St Louis vs Toronto - Stanley Cup Finals preview, eh??
The Blues last night in the first period showed the perfect blueprint of how to beat Toronto. Unfortunately, they took their foot off the pedal in the 2nd and 3rd after they were up by 2. I can't see Toronto getting by Tampa or for that matter, getting very deep in the playoffs.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
The Blues last night in the first period showed the perfect blueprint of how to beat Toronto. Unfortunately, they took their foot off the pedal in the 2nd and 3rd after they were up by 2. I can't see Toronto getting by Tampa or for that matter, getting very deep in the playoffs.
I wouldn't say the Blues took the foot off the pedal, I think it was more of the Leafs waking up and playing to their ability. A team with Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Rielly are going to get their chances against even the most stifling defensive teams. The Blues did a decent job of keeping them to the outside, and Binnington came up big when he needed to.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I wouldn't say the Blues took the foot off the pedal, I think it was more of the Leafs waking up and playing to their ability. A team with Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Rielly are going to get their chances against even the most stifling defensive teams. The Blues did a decent job of keeping them to the outside, and Binnington came up big when he needed to.
Yeah the Leafs definitely stepped up. The Blues were fortunate to get that game into overtime. Guys looked like they were wearing lead boots out there. The schedule is definitely catching up. I feel like once the winning streak ends we might lose a few in a row as the guys seem to be exerting all they have to keep this thing going and we have yet another 3 games in 4 nights this weekend against all playoff teams. This stretch is rough. If we can just survive the rest of February we should be alright the rest of the way.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Both Toronto goals were fluky. Bad turnover by Petro and Edmundson tips the pass into his own net. The Mathews goal came when the puck rebounded off Binnington and hit Mathews skate and ricocheted into the net.

Could have been another shutout without those two plays.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
That is awesome! I just hope it doesn't influence NBC to want to put more Blues games on their sports channel. I hate their coverage of Blues hockey as it always seems like we're being forced to watch our team on our opponents feed :laugh:

See I get that with Doc and Eddie but I never feel that way with Forslund or Cuthbert. I decided to record it to see how it came across. I'll watch it tonight.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Every fan base everywhere says that about neutral announcing. We are so programmed by our homer broadcasts and so emotional when things don’t go our way that hearing an exciting goal call for the other teams sets us off. I don’t like the main NBC team because I don’t like their style, but I’ve never felt they were rooting for the other team more than mine or anything. They’re just trying to deliver good news for both viewing parties.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Agreed that I don’t think the Blues took their foot off the pedal. I also think it’s conpletely logical to assume that their legs were probably gone about halfway through the game. 7 games in 11 days is tough for everyone except somehow ROR who seems to never be tired.

We still played well even when we were getting beat, we just didn’t have the jump that we had in the first and it looked like we were a bit slow which is to be expected when facing a fast team with that many games in so few days.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Every fan base everywhere says that about neutral announcing. We are so programmed by our homer broadcasts and so emotional when things don’t go our way that hearing an exciting goal call for the other teams sets us off. I don’t like the main NBC team because I don’t like their style, but I’ve never felt they were rooting for the other team more than mine or anything. They’re just trying to deliver good news for both viewing parties.
I don't know man, when we play the Pens, Hawks, Preds or Leafs on NBC it sure seems like they are much more excited when one of those teams score or are playing with the momentum.

Reactions: Bendak

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
I don't know man, when we play the Pens, Hawks, Preds or Leafs on NBC it sure seems like they are much more excited when one of those teams score or are playing with the momentum.
Go ask those fan bases. They’ll tell you the same thing. Joe Buck’s twitter profile literally says “I love all teams except yours.” Even Cardinals fans thinks he’s biased against them and the guy called local games for them, and his dad is their legendary broadcaster.

Me personally, I’d just prefer we don’t have broadcasters. Let me hear the sounds of the game and that’s it. But, since we’re stuck with ‘em I try not to get too worked up about anything. Well, except the Avs broadcast. Those homers are ridiculous.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Both Toronto goals were fluky. Bad turnover by Petro and Edmundson tips the pass into his own net. The Mathews goal came when the puck rebounded off Binnington and hit Mathews skate and ricocheted into the net.

Could have been another shutout without those two plays.
You could say that about the Blues' first goal where Muzzin blew a tire and turned it over.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Go ask those fan bases. They’ll tell you the same thing. Joe Buck’s twitter profile literally says “I love all teams except yours.” Even Cardinals fans thinks he’s biased against them and the guy called local games for them, and his dad is their legendary broadcaster.

Me personally, I’d just prefer we don’t have broadcasters. Let me hear the sounds of the game and that’s it. But, since we’re stuck with ‘em I try not to get too worked up about anything. Well, except the Avs broadcast. Those homers are ridiculous.
Have to agree to disagree, even Hawks & Pens fans will tell you there's clear bias when we play them on NBC networks.

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis
I prefer national broadcasts. Fsmw seems way too forced and manipulative. Really wish we had Sportsnet announcers though because they are awesome and Doc sucks so badly.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
I prefer national broadcasts. Fsmw seems way too forced and manipulative. Really wish we had Sportsnet announcers though because they are awesome and Doc sucks so badly.
I listened to SportsNet last night and I agree. I pretty much always enjoy listening to a Canadian feed. I feel like there is less pointless noise and more discussing hockey. Less dumbed down, if you will.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
NBC's "B" crew is infinitely better than their main crew. They stick to simply analyzing hockey rather than pushing narratives and talking about big market teams whenever possible.

Pierre is a cringefest 75% of the time he talks, Eddie should only be on the Hawks local broadcast, JR and Milbury are absolute idiots. Doc is the only good part of that crew, and it's unfortunate that he gets surrounded by the garbage that NBC puts him with.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
oh yeah the 10 game streak against the mighty coyotes, wild, devils and panthers

look, this is a good test for the blues and after a great 1st, they decided to pack it in. dont make excuses for them, if they wanna be a elite team then they need to play like it for 60minute against top team
Just reading through the thread.

"A 10 game streak against *lists only 4 of the games*"

That's an all-time classic argument on here. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad