Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Blue Jackets | Oct.25/13 | 7pm(EST) | Clarkson Debut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
We go up to Parry Sound every other year. About 4 years ago, we were heading back to Columbus (south on 400 but north of Toronto) and I had a CR-V with a CBJ tire cover. We passed a couple of guys in a beat up van. Soon, they passed us again and were holding a "Go Leafs Go" hand written sign up against the passenger window.

For anyone traveling from Toronto to Columbus, mileage and time-wise if I put in my home address (suburb of Columbus NW corner) and Parry Sound into Bing Maps, the estimated difference between going via Buffalo, Detroit, or Port Huron is less than 10 miles and 5 minutes. The border and traffic around Toronto proper are usually the main factors on the actual drive. The Buffalo route is prettier though, but this past summer the traffic on QEW heading toward St. Catherines was an absolute nightmare.

That's cool. Allows you three different routes to switch up the drive.

I would like to make a trip down to CLB and see the Leafs play sometime in my life.

In terms of population, growth of the city etc. How does the three big cities rank up against each other?

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
That's cool. Allows you three different routes to switch up the drive.

I would like to make a trip down to CLB and see the Leafs play sometime in my life.

In terms of population, growth of the city etc. How does the three big cities rank up against each other?

Having only viewed it from afar - I'd think that Columbus is similar to Ottawa as far as cities go. Mostly white-collar, seat of state government, huge university (Ohio State). Columbus and central Ohio have been growing. The economic downturns over the past 5-50 years (Rust Belt) haven't really applied to Columbus.

Columbus (city proper) is larger than Cleveland and Cincinnati, but the metro area is smaller than Cleveland (not sure about Cincinnati). Then again, what I consider to be a "metro area" versus what the government considers to be a metro area are different.

Easy link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus,_Ohio

The population of the city was 787,033 at the 2010 census, making it the most populous city in Ohio.[17] Although Columbus was the 15th largest city in the United States, its metropolitan area was 28th largest, with 2,308,509 residents. It is the fourth most populous state capital in the United States. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the Columbus Combined Statistical Area (which also includes Marion and Chillicothe) has a population of 2,348,495.[18]

In 2012, Columbus was ranked in BusinessWeek's 50 best cities in America.[20] In 2013, Forbes gave Columbus an A rating as one of the top cities for business in the U.S.[21] Columbus was also ranked the city as the no. 1 up-and-coming tech city in the nation by Forbes in 2008,[22] and the city was ranked a top ten city by Relocate America in 2010.[23][24] In 2007, fDi Magazine ranked the city no. 3 in the U.S. for cities of the future,[25] and the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium was rated no. 1 in 2009 by USA Travel Guide.[26]

Tyler Biggs*

The Leafs top 3 lines will be absolutely loaded once all players are back, and not a bad fourth line either. Can't wait to see it! GLG

Mr Scarface*

Imagine that... they have a soft, european GM. A head GM that is. :laugh:
I mean how can they even expect their team to get succes with that.... they are so lost over there and we don't even have to worry about that there.

A european GM........ that really makes me laugh here. A guy who knows european hockey through out doesn't know what the heck is happening in north america.

mikebel111*

Randy sort of took a shot at the media today.

A reporter said that kadri has 8 points in 10 games. But thinks he is capable of more

Carlyle said that well I want you to say that, because if I say that, it means he is in my doghouse, Saying that he doesn't know why the media says that this player is in his doghouse. than laughed it off a bit.

Also he said that he thinks gardiner is playing better than the beginning of the year, he wants him to focus on defense but he can join the rush as much as he wants. Make a good first pass and let the game develop. He said all our d man have the green light to join the rush.

Tyler Biggs*

I don't see why everyone always seems to be so caught up in how many points a player gets. Clarkson brings a LOT more to the table than points. Leaf fans will LOVE this guy. Look at Dustin Brown, who has won the Cup already, he's never been a point per game type player, but he is loved by LA and loved by his teammates. And he will be getting 5.875 next year. From what I've seen, Clarkson is the same type player as Brown.

Haters can say what they want. If you actually think swapping a guy like Leivo out for Clarkson will not improve the team you are crazy. Am I saying Clarkson is going to throw up 60+ points this season? Absolutely not. But, he is going to do a lot of grinding deep in the zone which will cause his linemates point total to increase. Can't wait for Kule to be back as well.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I don't get it :badidea:

All three losses so far have come against teams from locations beginning with C (Colorado, Carolina, and Chicago).

So, if Toronto's only losses came against teams meeting that criteria, the Leafs would have:

• 2 losses to each of Chicago, Colorado, and Calgary
  • 3 losses to each of Carolina and Columbus

That would be a total of 12 losses which would mean 70 wins. That would indeed be a fantastic season.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
1384058_10151954830565199_495623711_n.jpg

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
Imagine that... they have a soft, european GM. A head GM that is. :laugh:
I mean how can they even expect their team to get succes with that.... they are so lost over there and we don't even have to worry about that there.

A european GM........ that really makes me laugh here. A guy who knows european hockey through out doesn't know what the heck is happening in north america.

Not being a regular on the Toronto board, I'm not sure what to say about this one. Really?

A guy that played for the Bruins and Senators, worked in the front office in both Ottawa and St Louis, was an agent in Europe, then a GM in the Finnish league...

and he looks like a Bond villain...

BluPuk*

How we do in Columbus depends on which Leafs team shows up....
I'm thinking Clarkson back, Fraser back would give us a win by two goals...

Asif16*

Not being a regular on the Toronto board, I'm not sure what to say about this one. Really?

A guy that played for the Bruins and Senators, worked in the front office in both Ottawa and St Louis, was an agent in Europe, then a GM in the Finnish league...

He has a tendency to talk crap about every team, doesnt matter how good they really are. He constantly says that we are the HARDEST team in the league. And every other team is soft including their coaching staff and management.

So yeah, dont mind him. He doesnt represent every leaf fan on here.

Asif16*

What are the odds that Clarkson and Dubinsky get into something tomorrow?

Just looked it up - went twice in 2011-2012 season

I say there could be a really good chance. Clarkson is obviously gonna try to prove something to coaching staff, his teammates and the fans. He's gonna try to do everything possible to get himself into the game and noticed.

So, based on history alone, dubinsky and clarkson might end up going for various reasons

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
It doesn't matter how talented our team is if our team doesn't show up from the start

Bobrovsky can steal a game for Columbus and don't underestimate the talent on that team

Mr Scarface*

Actually after thinking about it more.... and especially thinking about him being the next or past Bond villain. I take everything back. I even listened and watched some of his interviews and doings in the past. He has vision, even if he is a european he has got the smartz here. He might do some good in columbus... but building a winner team there... I think not. He should have done some really dramastic trade or change to get there already. He'll get fired too, just like the rest of them. Nothing will save him.

Our team is the hardest in the league and getting clarkson and frazer mclaren back will only emphesize that strongly. Fraser will kill too soon. Carlyle knows that there.

I do like thinking of Kekalainen Bond villain now ...... will see dreams of him. Guaranteed. I like it.

Mr Scarface*

Anybody know how our lineup might be?
Not yet. But this is a team we're playing against where we should underestimate them. This is exactly the spot where it really reflects why the word underestimate was made in begin with. This is the place where we should do it! That team is so awful and soft. We will win no matter what. Carlyle will outplay their "not good" coach and after that we'll win (again). Just like we win almost everytime this season. It doesn' t matter who plays for us or who's out and injured. Carlyle always knows how to play against these other teams and we just get points. We're that hard and great this season. This columbus team is not.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
All three losses so far have come against teams from locations beginning with C (Colorado, Carolina, and Chicago).

So, if Toronto's only losses came against teams meeting that criteria, the Leafs would have:

• 2 losses to each of Chicago, Colorado, and Calgary
  • 3 losses to each of Carolina and Columbus

That would be a total of 12 losses which would mean 70 wins. That would indeed be a fantastic season.

if they could beat Calgary that would make me happy
but yes. that's what I meant. :)

This Mimico thing annoys me, I don't know anyone from that area or around it that ever calls it Mimico.

i think Shanahan called it Mimico.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad