Post-Game Talk: Leafs blanked by Flames 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Haven't read through but am i the only one who feels we played quite well, we just got schooled by Rittich?

PP was out of synch but I have news for some people.

We weren't going to go 56-0-0
Or even 45-9-2
The PP is not going to run at 45%
Players aren't going to go on infinite streaks

The law of averages tell us the above will be broken. Need proof? Look at all the standings and stats in the history of league.

People need to handle the fact that if we go on a bunch of win streaks, losses will follow. If you can't handle a well-played loss after a run of 11-1-2, maybe go cheer for the Utah Jazz or watch replays of the 2015-16 Warriors.

I'll give you the OT loss to the Sens and that first regulation loss to them like 8 years ago at this point. Last night, against the Habs and the 2 to the Oilers? Oh well, close fairly well-played games. Losses will happen. Guess what, more are on the way. I'm sorry, they are. Keep them more minimal than your wins and keep them close. They are unavoidable. Guess what, going 0/7 on the PP is fairly standard after going 5/7. 5/14 is still unreal.

I thought that was what you can call a good loss. If the team were .500 (and fully healthy)? Sure, it is more of a problem. Team leads the NHL (and is a bit of an infirmary after winning 11/14)? Relax.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Rittich spat hot fire, I knew with about five left in the 2nd we weren't gonna be scoring.

In fact the Flames as a whole played a very good defensive game, boxed out the front of the net well.

One day the refs leave their whistles in Nunavut, and the next it's two minutes for tapping Johnny Manlet on the ass? This inconsistent officiating has to be addressed.

The first goal on Hutch was bad but you can't blame him for the other two.

Everyone seemed out of synch. Overpassing on the power play, Matty whiffing, Mitch throwing it into skates, JT unable to keep up with them.

Barabanov does jack and gets to play on the second line with Willy? Where is Nick Robertson? I want Nick Robertson.

But on the plus, it was the most engaged I've seen Willy since game one, he needs a little kick in the ass from time to time.

We aren't gonna win them all and bad games are gonna happen, on to the next.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
meh, we had our 3rd string goalie in and went 0 for 7 on the powerplay. neither of those things is going to happen too much this season.

And Rittich played awesome for them.

Reactions: hoglund and Lumberg

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Haven't read through but am i the only one who feels we played quite well, we just got schooled by Rittich?

PP was out of synch but I have news for some people.

We weren't going to go 56-0-0
Or even 45-9-2
The PP is not going to run at 45%
Players aren't going to go on infinite streaks

The law of averages tell us the above will be broken. Need proof? Look at all the standings and stats in the history of league.

People need to handle the fact that if we go on a bunch of win streaks, losses will follow. If you can't handle a well-played loss after a run of 11-1-2, maybe go cheer for the Utah Jazz or watch replays of the 2015-16 Warriors.

I'll give you the OT loss to the Sens and that first regulation loss to them like 8 years ago at this point. Last night, against the Habs and the 2 to the Oilers? Oh well, close fairly well-played games. Losses will happen. Guess what, more are on the way. I'm sorry, they are. Keep them more minimal than your wins and keep them close. They are unavoidable. Guess what, going 0/7 on the PP is fairly standard after going 5/7. 5/14 is still unreal.

I thought that was what you can call a good loss. If the team were .500 (and fully healthy)? Sure, it is more of a problem. Team leads the NHL (and is a bit of an infirmary after winning 11/14)? Relax.
The next major breakthrough in hockey stats will be in area of teams which play on da perimeter. Last night we played on da perimeter. You could see it plain as day from puck drop. Flames controlled game throughout. Every team needs wall/corner players. Every team needs guys who can play in front of each net. Puck possession counts but puck possession on perimeter means little.

Reactions: ToneDog

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The next major breakthrough in hockey stats will be in area of teams which play on da perimeter. Last night we played on da perimeter. You could see it plain as day from puck drop. Flames controlled game throughout. Every team needs wall/corner players. Every team needs guys who can play in front of each net. Puck possession counts but puck possession on perimeter means little.
except for the small fact that high danger chances were 14-6 for the Leafs

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Calgary had 3 really good chances to score and scored on 2 of those and then had da bad one from Hutch ... we had 3 really good chances to score Mik's breakaway, Matty's post and Rielly's chance net front ... even though we got outplayed no doubt their goalie was better than ours but what do you expect from our 4th stringer ... I go by kill zone chances ... again why stats are very misleading and more than often do not match control of game

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
the boys played well enough to win. That includes Hutch. Unfortunately Big Save Dave showed up in a big way. Reminiscent of his last game in TO I believe. Really hard to be mad at team for that effort. Tough night in terms of PP, but you can't click every night. On to the next

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
JT needs to play a nice rugged style game right now. A Hyman-JT-Simmonds line might work. Then maybe try Nylander at center with Kerf and Mik. Both lines can play ~15 minutes while giving the hotter line more minutes. I think when playing centre Nylander is forced to get more engaged with the play especially at the defensive end. He's usually up for the task.
Simmonds 4 weeks away

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Rittich spat hot fire, I knew with about five left in the 2nd we weren't gonna be scoring.

In fact the Flames as a whole played a very good defensive game, boxed out the front of the net well.

One day the refs leave their whistles in Nunavut, and the next it's two minutes for tapping Johnny Manlet on the ass? This inconsistent officiating has to be addressed.

The first goal on Hutch was bad but you can't blame him for the other two.

Everyone seemed out of synch. Overpassing on the power play, Matty whiffing, Mitch throwing it into skates, JT unable to keep up with them.

Barabanov does jack and gets to play on the second line with Willy? Where is Nick Robertson? I want Nick Robertson.

But on the plus, it was the most engaged I've seen Willy since game one, he needs a little kick in the ass from time to time.

We aren't gonna win them all and bad games are gonna happen, on to the next.

I think it's getting to the last chance for a few guys including Barabanov. They know what they have in Robertson and he'll be up soon
Vesey is another questionable one as is Petan

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Right? Which matched the eye test completely, tbh.

Anyone saying we deserved to lose that game is just wrong. Boys played real well.

This is one of those cases where an outside variable caused an unexpected result.

I hate when we're on the other side of these games because people say "a win is a win" or other excuses, and are usually glowing ly happy. In reality, we may not have deserved to the win and we shouldn't be happy with that trending. Nice to see us trending in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Twine Tickler

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

High, Medium, Low danger corsi already addresses this. You're kind of right in that Leafs played a lot on the perimeter. They had a load of OZ time and Calgary did a good job keeping them outside, it was more visible when Leafs were on the man advantage and still were kept mostly outside, despite lots of OZ time.

But, all teams are kept to the perimeter, a lot. No team is just living in the slot during their OZ possession. You keep possession on the perimeter, cycle, create movement to open up lanes and you find your way in, and Leafs did find their way in and a created a good amount of high-danger chances with their OZ time as well.

Leafs also kept Calgary on the perimeter, too. Their PP didn't get in very much, and at least their last 2 goals were tip-ins from point-shots -- from cycling the perimeter. It's not like we were losing coverage, they weren't finding open ice in the slot and sniping goals from there. We were keeping them out more than they were keeping us out.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
High, Medium, Low danger corsi already addresses this. You're kind of right in that Leafs played a lot on the perimeter. They had a load of OZ time and Calgary did a good job keeping them outside, it was more visible when Leafs were on the man advantage and still were kept mostly outside, despite lots of OZ time.

But, all teams are kept to the perimeter, a lot. No team is just living in the slot during their OZ possession. You keep possession on the perimeter, cycle, create movement to open up lanes and you find your way in, and Leafs did find their way in and a created a good amount of high-danger chances with their OZ time as well.

Leafs also kept Calgary on the perimeter, too. Their PP didn't get in very much, and at least their last 2 goals were tip-ins from point-shots -- from cycling the perimeter. It's not like we were losing coverage, they weren't finding open ice in the slot and sniping goals from there. We were keeping them out more than they were keeping us out.
Yes tips on screens are almost guaranteed goals if they hit net as no golaer can react that quickly .. but we did not have personnel in game to free up pucks in corners and then get to net for screens and tips .. we circled and circled and circled all night long ... and backtracked and backtracked all night long ... I did not see 1 forecheck all game long ... I did not see one guy go to net and plant himself for a screen all night long ... our 3 10 better kill zone chances were kinda lucky ones but 1 hit post, 1 hit cross bar and 1 was a damn good save ... all areas of ice where you have to pay a price we were not there ... we were hoping for easy chances again ... get ur money for nothin and ur chicks for free

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
A completely predictable "crash back to earth" game, coupled with injuries and the Flames motivated after being McDavid-ed on the weekend. I expect they'll be much better on Wednesday, something like 4-2.

Just hope some good news on the injury front.

Auston 316

Jun 25, 2016
Truth hurts. This team was looking like it had finally turned the page. Within a week they remind us that they are the same old Leafs, susceptible of giving up 3 0r 4 goal leads and making back up goalies look like Vezina candidates. If the are the same old Leafs in the regular season, it stands to reason that there is a good chance they will be the same old Leafs in the playoffs. I want them to win just like anyone else, but I can't ignore the signs. I have placed my hope on this team too many times, to see it shattered year after year. They need to be better. No excuses.
Lol Nah this ain't it boo

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Does Mikheyev need to skate right in and stick plow a puck through the five hole next breakaway :). Slap shot, spinarama, backhander. He needs to shoot high every time from now on. Low shots aren’t working on these in alone plays. It’s good that he can pull away like that on any team but damn it’s getting hopeless now. Actually he should just concede and peel off and pass to the trailer ha

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Wasn't a fan of JT to the 1st line or stacking the power play. We have the horses that when we face injuries to the support players up front we should be able to have some continuity and weather the storm with different support players.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Truth hurts. This team was looking like it had finally turned the page. Within a week they remind us that they are the same old Leafs, susceptible of giving up 3 0r 4 goal leads and making back up goalies look like Vezina candidates. If the are the same old Leafs in the regular season, it stands to reason that there is a good chance they will be the same old Leafs in the playoffs. I want them to win just like anyone else, but I can't ignore the signs. I have placed my hope on this team too many times, to see it shattered year after year. They need to be better. No excuses.
Poor :).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Calgary did everything in their power to toss this game away.

Gave our Leafs 7 PP opportunities including a long 5-3 to our Leafs with the best PP in the NHL.

Heck they gave Mikheyev enough chances while SH to make this a 3-3 game.

The Leafs did miss Muzzin as Tkachuk was standing in front of the Leafs net all night or running over players like JT with big hits. Much like Josh Anderson and Muzzin battling previously there was nobody to answer for Matthew Tkachuk in this one.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Does Mikheyev need to skate right in and stick plow a puck through the five hole next breakaway :). Slap shot, spinarama, backhander. He needs to shoot high every time from now on. Low shots aren’t working on these in alone plays. It’s good that he can pull away like that on any team but damn it’s getting hopeless now. Actually he should just concede and peel off and pass to the trailer ha
I think he can be part of a defensive line with Hyman and maybe a Sissons and do some damage in playoffs for us ... but offensively he is a tire fire man ... feet work faster than his hands/brain sort of speak guy ... but I like him because he has size and explosive speed and we need that element on our team

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Calgary did everything in their power to toss this game away.

Gave our Leafs 7 PP opportunities including a long 5-3 to our Leafs with the best PP in the NHL.

Heck they gave Mikheyev enough chances while SH to make this a 3-3 game.

The Leafs did miss Muzzin as Tkachuk was standing in front of the Leafs net all night for running over players like JT with big hits. Much like Josh Anderson and Muzzin battling previously there was nobody to answer for Matthew Tkachuk in this one.
That powerplay was disgusting all night. Morgan Rielly took shots numerous times when Matthews was wide open. That not being enough he prounces over to Matthews shooting spot and takes it a couple times and Matthews had to move.
We have $12,000,000 of useless in Rielly and Nylander. I can’t wait until both are gone. Just the defensive improvement of removing these two is worth the trading of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->