Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat a playoff team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Kapanen shouldve got that 2nd goal from Marleau on the rebound lol.

Notice Kap is getting more and more looks? He is JUST starting to get use to playing with high skilled players Nd against them too.

A team that shutdown JT and Marner, and Kap almost has a 4 to 6 point night.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Kappy with now and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, get this

6 points in 4 games playing with matty:towel:

suck on that melander.:wedgie:

and for those that ever ever doubted the mighty GOAT,,shame,,,shame,,,shame,,,shame:tmi:

face it folks we have a 6 foot 5 hulking 4th line C that knows how to be defensive.:vhappy:

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Our D adjusted for the third period.

Matthews and Kappenen most noticable.

On D

Dermott and Hainsey looked great

Gardiner and rielly found themselves later on
On D, Oz may have had his best game of the year. Lots of really smart quick passes to exit the zone. Even showed a bit of skill in the offensive zone, despite not playing a ton of minutes.

Reactions: NCoRe and rumman

EmergencyExit

Aug 9, 2011
Toronto
That makes it sound like he's done nothing but he hasn't been bad IMO. Nice to see him finally get paid though so to speak, and he showed nice hands on that goal, not everyone has the skill to do what he did there.

So happy for Josh!

From the eye test it feels like he's always pushing the play forward in a good way. He's been hustling and getting looks, just been snake bitten at times.

Really glad to see him get the goal tonight. It must have been discouraging to ride the pine last year, but I'd imagine Babcock is liking what he's seeing out of him lately.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
My favorite thing this year is how Matthews seems to found passion and come out of his shell. He looks engaged, stronger, faster and has a better shot. Maybe having that terrible PO series was an eye opener. Good on him.

Tonight's game... 3rd period gave me hope that we can do anything. Great execution. Well done lads!

Reactions: Holy Mackinaw

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Kapanen is the perfect winger for Matthews. Gives Matthews all the puck possession he needs (unlike Nylander) and just battles and floors it.

I disagree. Last season Nylander and Matthews shared the puck a ton which is what made them damn good together and some of those passes from Willie to Matthews were awesome. When hopefully he gets re-signed soon I hope Babs gives Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander a try and see what they can do.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The best part is the Leafs are 5-1-0 and we haven't seen a full 60 minutes of them controlling the game yet. And that we're still looking for them to get better because we know they can be, and they need to be if they're going to be successful.

We tend to play down to our opponents a bit, but if your the better team for 2 of the 3 periods against the top teams your going to win a lot of games

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Leafs held the Caps to 8 shots in the 3rd. Caps only had 2 halfway thru and got most of those 8 on that pne Oshie Bacstrom shift where they pinned the JT line for a good 2 mins.

Leafs tookit to the Caps in the 3rd and had quite a few chances.

Good solid road win vs quality opponent

Reactions: Jeddie and SprDaVE

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
From the eye test it feels like he's always pushing the play forward in a good way. He's been hustling and getting looks, just been snake bitten at times.

Really glad to see him get the goal tonight. It must have been discouraging to ride the pine last year, but I'd imagine Babcock is liking what he's seeing out of him lately.

He is always pushing the play forward. The eye isn't lying. Leivo has been pretty good. Contrast to Brown who up until tonight was wasting possession every time he had it. Every time.

I use the... Who's stick does the play die on test. Leivo usually maintains possession gets a pass off and then it died with Brown etc.

Reactions: EmergencyExit

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Remember all those "wasted 2nds for Boyle and Plekanec" threads? Leafs young players learned a lot from those games. This game was more of a playoff atmosphere even this early in the season. Much more physical and had some history and pride too it.... Without that experience... I think the Leafs get rolled today.

Leafs don't make the playoffs 2 years ago without Boyle (IMO) and Plekanec helped show the leafs how to step up in the playoffs last season... great additions, good moves.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I'll tell you what, for a team that just won the cup, the Caps board is downright salty AF right now...damn. LOL

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
My favorite thing this year is how Matthews seems to found passion and come out of his shell. He looks engaged, stronger, faster and has a better shot. Maybe having that terrible PO series was an eye opener. Good on him.

Tonight's game... 3rd period gave me hope that we can do anything. Great execution. Well done lads!

His back and shoulder are not hurting. He is stealing pucks like he did in the first year, but he is much more powerful in traffic. Reminds me of Sid.

Reactions: ULF_55
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad