TSN: Leafs baffled by lack of power-play opportunities

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
How many times this season have the Leafs had only 1 power play each game?

I also know there have been a few games with 0 power plays which is unacceptable.
Then you watch or listen to a late night game and hear things like "The Canucks were 1 for 3 on the powerplay... IN THE FIRST PERIOD"

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
SO I thought it was because we didn't go into the dirty areas? I thought it was because we were too slow and didn't play the type of game to get pps? I thought it was because all the penalties the Leafs take lead to a change in possession? I thought it was because the officials are mad that Kadri dives too much. I thought it was because thats how they call it in the playoffs (this excuse is used anytime after Jan) I thought that because we lead early the refs put the whistles away. Now its because we dont take enough penalties?

How many more excuses? How many more moving goalposts?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Some of you focus on the number of PPs which is silly. @hotpaws is on the right track

What matters is the net difference. If you can draw more than you take, you have a better chance to win games.

We aren't doing too well there this year but not the worst.

TEAMPPOTSHVariance
Florida1058223
Winnipeg1068521
Vancouver13511718
Nashville12410816
Colorado12911316
Minnesota11810414
Philadelphia11710413
Columbus11210012
New Jersey12111110
Pittsburgh98899
Arizona1131058
Detroit1151096
St. Louis1101046
Boston1111056
Buffalo1111074
Tampa Bay1071061
Los Angeles1161151
Edmonton112114-2
NY Rangers116120-4
Chicago107112-5
Calgary111122-11
Montreal94105-11
Vegas113124-11
Toronto93105-12
Ottawa114129-15
NY Islanders7995-16
Carolina110127-17
Washington106123-17
Dallas101121-20
San Jose108129-21
Anaheim93115-22
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Before anyone goes all Ref conspiracy on the forum, last year we were ranked 9th overall at +7 opportunities.

Seems the team has got lazy... which happens when you don't try as hard. ;)

Last edited:

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Lol this chart again? When the “soft teams” take 3 penalties a game and the “dirty teams” take 4 how big of a spread is expected?
If two dirty teams play each other it’s a wash if two clean teams play each other it’s a wash, if a clean team plays a dirty team you would expect one penalty every second game to be the diff. A couple fights would bump you into “dirty team”
The chart was made by someone who pretends for no reason what so ever that there should be a huge gap. Why would there be?
Just because a team plays hard does not mean they deserve penalties. Offsetting ruffing penalties could push you into “dirty”

Pro athletes that know the rules of the game take 2 or 3 penalties a night. Is all this chart shows.
If you take a couple of stupid penalties you get benched or traded there is zero reasons penalties for/against should have a large spread.
If you look some teams are taking more then reciving and while it looks like a small gap 1+ min in penalties a night over the season adds up huge.
All these teams shot totals for and against and goals for and against must be “fixed” by the same evil refs yes?

A dirty team can have 10 infractions a night and only get 3 penalties while playing a clean team that commits 2 infractions and gets 2 penalties. That's the problem. You are basing your opinion on how many penalties the refs are calling instead of how many should actually be called.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
A dirty team can have 10 infractions a night and only get 3 penalties while playing a clean team that commits 2 infractions and gets 2 penalties. That's the problem. You are basing your opinion on how many penalties the refs are calling instead of how many should actually be called.

No I am not, they do not call most things that happen.
They will call a holding the stick or tripping if it creates or stops a goal. They will call a Kari cross check to the face. They will not call two guys having a little battle away from the play.
Everyone gets bent out of shape if the refs don’t call everything for them. Not a word when everything isn’t called against them.
I am going off the games I have watched,
I have never seen a fan of a team start a thread demanding to know why their team got away with some stupid little non call in a game have you? Do you think it’s only “them” that gets away with anything or perhaps a little bit of bias is in effect?

Please explain why all the teams in the NHL have basically identical shots for and against?
How about goals for and against?
How big is the gap in most starters save %?
Do you wonder why most teams PDO is expected to be close?

Could it be these are pro teams with microscopic differences?
Why would penalties not be the same? The “dirty” cheap players are repeat offenders.....If it happened once 50 games ago. That should be your first big hint..
If one team has 3 penalties called against them do you think the other team will get one because evil refs or because it’s rare to go all game without messing up?
The announcer can predict it will happen because”even up” and I can predict it will happen because Jesus told me....but neither is why

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

NHL and fans don’t want to see a game filled with PPs.

Focus on the net times you are on special teams.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Drawing penalties requires getting into the dirty areas and driving the net. Neither of which the leafs perform on a regular basis.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Wow, you didn't know the NHL was rigged? This has been going on for years. Stop rationalizing it. Dubas and his stats team should have spotted long ago. He can kill a Leaf player, no call, we blow on their guy penalty. Gilmour- Gretzky-Fraser. Nothing has changed.

Reactions: Eddo22

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Drawing penalties requires getting into the dirty areas and driving the net. Neither of which the leafs perform on a regular basis.
Devils Sens Wings and Kings must be killing it and playing a hard game then. Doing all the little things right and driving the net beautifully.

They draw some elite number of powerplays.

Oh wait.

I honestly see no correlations here. Three of the top 10 teams including the no.1 are all in the negatives with respects to net sum.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
every fan base think they're getting screwed over by the refs and only notice infractions against there team while ignoring every infraction except the most obvious that there team commits

TB plays like the Leafs, but they are up there in PP opportunities in the last few years compared to the Leafs that's near or at the bottom of the league.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Devils Sens Wings and Kings must be killing it and playing a hard game then. Doing all the little things right and driving the net beautifully.

They draw some elite number of powerplays.

Oh wait.

I honestly see no correlations here. Three of the top 10 teams including the no.1 are all in the negatives with respects to net sum.

Fist I wish the sens had the skills of the leafs second the sens play hardddd. they suck so they take a lot of “I just got beat” penalties. Guys like Brady get the other team angry and we do have a lot of speedsters in the dirty areas. Totally makes sense they would be getting and taking a lot of calls.
The kings outshoot and outplay most teams but they are slow and take a lot of penalties. It makes sense for them also.
The others I cant speak for.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
it doesn’t have to be even. You get that right.

if Toronto commits 8 infractions and Boston commits 16

if both teams get 3 pp it doesn’t make sense. “Well the leafs took 5 penalties that didn’t get called”

the leafs commit way less infractions but pps even out. It’s dumb
This is true. Watch the Flyers and Bruins. Tons of things don’t get called just because the refs won’t make them Short handed twice as often as they get power plays.

it’s been like that since Ol Shep was a pup

Reactions: Erdinger

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This is true. Watch the Flyers and Bruins. Tons of things don’t get called just because the refs won’t make them Short handed twice as often as they get power plays.

it’s been like that since Ol Shep was a pup
It seems with the Bruins the refs let
a lot of their infractions go a lot more, especially with someone like Chara. A lot of his hooks never seem to get called and I remember a punch to the face of Tavares in Game 7 when the Leafs we’re losing 2-1 in the 2nd period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->