TSN: Leafs baffled by lack of power-play opportunities

Jun 27, 2005
I’m posting this from my phone and cannot link the story from TSN, however it says that so far this season the Leafs have had 93 power plays which ranks as the second fewest in all of the NHL.

Last season we were last in opportunities.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Have you tried taking more penalties?

D347eIAVUAUrSJO.png

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The only correlation seems to be for penalties taken and penalties drawn
pretty much this

refs tend to even up penalties for the most part and we play a soft game so refs just put the whistle away when there isn't a need to try to get things under control which leads to few penalties called during our games

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
pretty much this

refs tend to even up penalties for the most part and we play a soft game so refs just put the whistle away when there isn't a need to try to get things under control which leads to few penalties called during our games
How many times this season have the Leafs had only 1 power play each game?

I also know there have been a few games with 0 power plays which is unacceptable.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
How many times this season have the Leafs had only 1 power play each game?

I also know there have been a few games with 0 power plays which is unacceptable.
i guess in your opinion it's also unacceptable we take few penalties as well ?

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017

D347eIAVUAUrSJO.png

The only correlation seems to be for penalties taken and penalties drawn

pretty much this

So f***ing frustrating that it seems to work this way. So in order for infractions to stop happening against our team, we need to... have more infractions?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
So ****ing frustrating that it seems to work this way. So in order for infractions to stop happening against our team, we need to... have more infractions?
every fan base think they're getting screwed over by the refs and only notice infractions against there team while ignoring every infraction except the most obvious that there team commits

Reactions: Paradoc

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
It's because they aren't physical enough, they don't have enough grit and toughness and because of this they are getting taken advantage of by the refs and the whole league for that matter

Reactions: goleafsgo1990

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
It's because they aren't physical enough, they don't have enough grit and toughness and because of this they are getting taken advantage of by the refs and the whole league for that matter
So if we're tougher we'll get more PP opportunities?

..think about that again..

Reactions: kb

Tall Morty

Apr 18, 2017
every fan base think they're getting screwed over by the refs and only notice infractions against there team while ignoring every infraction except the most obvious that there team commits

There’s literally a graph, that I quoted in my post, showing that teams that take less penalties receive less powerplays.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
You would think out high end skill and speed would lead to more teams getting called for hooking, holding and other infractions along that line.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
There’s literally a graph, that I quoted in my post, showing that teams that take less penalties receive less powerplays.
and i already said the reason we don't get more calls is because we don't take many penalties

the point i was making was fans think there team doesn't get enough pp's while ignoring when penalties against them aren't called

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Guess what the best predictor of who gets the next penalty in a game is

Who got got the last PP is the No 1 predictor of who gets the next penalty.

not history. Not home team. Not Penalties going into the game. Not suspensions.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
and i already said the reason we don't get more calls is because we don't take many penalties

the point i was making was fans think there team doesn't get enough pp's while ignoring when penalties against them aren't called

it doesn’t have to be even. You get that right.

if Toronto commits 8 infractions and Boston commits 16

if both teams get 3 pp it doesn’t make sense. “Well the leafs took 5 penalties that didn’t get called”

the leafs commit way less infractions but pps even out. It’s dumb

Tall Morty

Apr 18, 2017

That’s fair. Sorry I re-read my own post and didn’t mean to come off as hostile.

Still I look at the game the other night where Dermott doesn’t draw a PP after getting destroyed and then they call JT for “holding the stick”, and I get extremely frustrated

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

Eddo22

Sep 22, 2015
it doesn’t have to be even. You get that right.

if Toronto commits 8 infractions and Boston commits 16

if both teams get 3 pp it doesn’t make sense. “Well the leafs took 5 penalties that didn’t get called”

the leafs commit way less infractions but pps even out. It’s dumb

This is the bottom line.

Honestly I can see why they just give up at times.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
I’m posting this from my phone and cannot link the story from TSN, however it says that so far this season the Leafs have had 93 power plays which ranks as the second fewest in all of the NHL.

Kadri

Kadri was great at drawing penalties

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

D347eIAVUAUrSJO.png

Lol this chart again? When the “soft teams” take 3 penalties a game and the “dirty teams” take 4 how big of a spread is expected?
If two dirty teams play each other it’s a wash if two clean teams play each other it’s a wash, if a clean team plays a dirty team you would expect one penalty every second game to be the diff. A couple fights would bump you into “dirty team”
The chart was made by someone who pretends for no reason what so ever that there should be a huge gap. Why would there be?
Just because a team plays hard does not mean they deserve penalties. Offsetting ruffing penalties could push you into “dirty”

Pro athletes that know the rules of the game take 2 or 3 penalties a night. Is all this chart shows.
If you take a couple of stupid penalties you get benched or traded there is zero reasons penalties for/against should have a large spread.
If you look some teams are taking more then reciving and while it looks like a small gap 1+ min in penalties a night over the season adds up huge.
All these teams shot totals for and against and goals for and against must be “fixed” by the same evil refs yes?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->