GDT: Leafs @ Avs

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Let’s get back on the winning track. Can make up for that game last month against them. Pick up some points and maybe even try to score a pp goal if we’re feeling crazy.

Reactions: Rogue

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
Time for the team to get it together. Hoping to see improved lines tonight!!!

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I guess it's just the youngsters in here with the defeatist attitude. In MY day, I would cling to my cabbage patch doll, playing pong, just dreaming of a time when my Leafs would be third overall.

Then Allen Bester would let a softy in through the five hole and we'd all laugh and laugh over a nice cup of tang.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
cut.jpg

GAME DAY: Maple Leafs at Avalanche
Terry KoshanMore from Terry Koshan
GAME DAY: Maple Leafs at Avalanche

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (34-18-3) at COLORADO AVALANCHE (22-22-11)
9 p.m. ET Tuesday, Pepsi Center
TSN, TSN Radio 1050

BIG MATCHUP
John Tavares vs. Nathan MacKinnon
When the Maple Leafs and Avalanche met in Toronto on Jan. 14, Mike Babcock matched John Tavares’ line against Nathan MacKinnon’s line. The MacKinnon trio had two of Colorado’s goals in a 6-3 Avs win, and the group gave Tavares and company trouble throughout the evening. We wouldn’t be surprised if Avs coach Jared Bednar, taking advantage of last change, goes for a similar matchup on Tuesday night. It certainly didn’t hinder Colorado a month ago at Scotiabank Arena.
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
1. Powering up
Toronto is 3-for-37 on the power play in its past 17 games, but the units are keeping their fingers crossed they can build off the effort in New York on Sunday, when they had 27 shot attempts during four power plays. The Leafs are moving the puck with quickness again, and, importantly, they have regained confidence with the man advantage. Keep in mind the the Avalanche is last overall in the NHL in penalty-killing on home ice, coming in at a meagre 71.3%. It should add up to positives for the Leafs.
2. Lineup considerations
Tyler Ennis has been activated from injured reserve after recovering from a broken ankle and is ready to go, but Mike Babcock might not be enamoured with the idea of tinkering with his fourth line. The Leafs’ 56 shots on goal against the Rangers were six shy of the team record of 61 (done twice, most recently in 2009) and though Babcock didn’t use his fourth line as much as the Leafs tried to come back from a deficit, he was pleased with the group in the four-game winning streak that came before the loss. Babcock can’t lose: Ennis will be motivated when he gets in and the fourth line has not been a problem anyway.
3. Avalanche descending
Since beating the Leafs a month ago, the Avalanche has not snuck up on anyone, losing eight of its nine games and the past seven in a row, though each of the past three losses have come in overtime. Still, in six of their eight losses, the Avs had more shot attempts than their opponent at even-strength, so they are not playing poorly. Goaltending is an issue. Where Frederik Andersen has been sharp for the Leafs, neither Semyon Varlamov nor Philipp Grubauer has been brilliant for Colorado.
4. The Muzzin upshot
As mentioned in the John Tavares-Nathan MacKinnon matchup, the Leafs couldn’t contain the Avs’ big line, one that includes Gabriel Landeskog and Mikko Rantanen. Part of that fell on the shoulders of the defence pair of Morgan Rielly and Ron Hainsey; the addition of Jake Muzzin in Toronto has happened since that meeting. Muzzin has come as advertised, coming in at 55.5% in possession. Muzzin’s presence should make life a little more difficult for MacKinnon and his linemates.
5. No revisionist history
The Leafs have enjoyed success in recent trips to Denver, as they have earned a least one point in each of their past seven visits, going 5-0-2. The Leafs have not lost to Colorado on the road in regulation since 2005-06, though they have not made visits in every season since. At any rate, the Leafs, who didn’t practise on Monday, should be rejuvenated as they kick off the Western U.S. portion of their six-game trip.
MAPLE LEAFS LINES
LW-C-RW

Zach Hyman-John Tavares-Mitch Marner
Patrick Marleau-Auston Matthews-Kasperi Kapanen
Connor Brown-Nazem Kadri-William Nylander
Par Lindholm/Tyler Ennis-Frederik Gauthier-Andreas Johnsson
Defence pairs
Jake Muzzin-Morgan Rielly
Jake Gardiner-Nikita Zaitsev
Travis Dermott-Ron Hainsey
Goaltenders
Frederik Andersen
Garret Sparks
AVALANCHE LINES
LW-C-RW

Gabriel Landeskog-Nathan MacKinnon-Mikko Rantanen
Alexander Kerfoot-J.T. Compher-Colin Wilson
Matt Nieto-Carl Soderberg-Matt Calvert
A.J. Greer-Sheldon Dries-Sven Andrighetto
Defence pairs
Sam Girard-Erik Johnson
Patrik Nemeth-Tyson Barrie
Nikita Zadorov-Ryan Graves
Goaltenders
Semyon Varlamov
Philipp Grubauer
INJURIES
Avalanche — D Ian Cole (upper body), D Mark Barberio (head), F Vladislav Kamenev (shoulder).
Maple Leafs — None.
SPECIAL TEAMS
Power play

Avalanche: 23.4% (7th)
Maple Leafs: 20% (16th)
Penalty kill
Avalanche: 76.8% (27th)
Maple Leafs: 80.8% (12th)

Tuesday NHL game preview: Toronto Maple Leafs at Colorado Avalanche
By Mark ZwolinskiSports Reporter
Mon., Feb. 11, 2019
PEPSI CENTER
FACEOFF:
9 p.m.
Tuesday NHL game preview: Toronto Maple Leafs at Colorado Avalanche | The Star

avs.jpg

Colorado’s top line, from left, of Nathan MacKinnon, Gabriel Landeskog and Mikko Rantanen is a plus-41 this season. (David Zalubowski / The Associated Press)

TV: TSN
RADIO: TSN 1050
KEY PLAYERS
Landeskog/Kadri
You could call this a chance encounter. Colorado’s Gabriel Landeskog registered 10 shots on goal in an overtime loss to Boston Sunday, while the Leafs’ Nazem Kadri had a career high 12 shots on goal in a loss to the Rangers Sunday.
NEED TO KNOW
Landeskog (57 points) is part of what might be the best line in hockey, with Nathan MacKinnon (74) and Mikka Rantanen (75). MacKinnon scored his 29th goal in the Boston game, tying him with Landeskog for the team lead in goals … Colorado lost its last three games in overtime and leads the NHL with 11 losses in the extra period … Goaltender Semyon Varlamov started all three games that went into OT. Coach Jared Bednar said the goalie “got better every game.” The Avalanche must get better goaltending from Varlamov (2.91 goals-against average) and backup Philip Grubauer (3.47) if they are to challenge for a playoff berth … The big line is a plus-41 so far; almost every other Avalanche player is on the minus side.
UP NEXT Thursday at Vegas, 10 p.m.

Last edited:

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
man the past two weeks have been a grueling schedule for the boys, capped off with of course playing the islanders on the 2nd half of a B2B and after 3 in 4 nights.

We gotta beat these loser teams

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
We lost to Colorado the first game... when they were on a big losing streak that time too.

Colorado is a one line team. They remind me of Boston but with a worse defence.

Leafs just need to show up. The problem isn't who we play. The problem is Leafs taking teams to lightly , and floating around the ice relying on talent.

E F F O R T

I've said it a million times... and many other people on here have as well.

Their next 4 games are all winnable. Even Vegas hasn't been lighting it up lately.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Thankfully we won't see Sparks until the end of the month against the NYI.

I would start Andy vs Isles. If Isles go up early JT will be hearing it all night long. They need to score early to keep the crowd out of it. I do think Leafs show up this time for JT.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I would start Andy vs Isles. If Isles go up early JT will be hearing it all night long. They need to score early to keep the crowd out of it. I do think Leafs show up this time for JT.
Back to back games though.
Selfishly I wouldn't want Sparks to get the 1st game at home vs the Oilers.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You would expect a top 5 team should not lose many back-to-backs.

But since the Leafs aren't top 5 (they're 6th.), I suppose it is anyone's game.

No feel for this one at all, but if I were betting I'd go with the home team as eventually the Avs will win again.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
we are the best slump busters of the other team, the avs will break their 7 game losing streak against us you watch.

Anecdotally I have the same opinion.

We were one of the worst teams in hockey for almost a decade. Literally every team was better then us for most of it, so its not surprising that we broke a lot of slumps.

Its also why star players have outrageous numbers against us. We were awful.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Late start but a couple of early games are worth keeping an eye on. Boston Chicago and Wash Columbus are interesting. NYI and Buffalo has appeal too

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Big game for Willy and Kadri tonight feasting on the Avs bottom six

Hope the good Naz shows up. He;s been super inconsistent and ineffective this year. More a passenger than a driver. the guy is a vet and someone who can influence games, we need him to be the Naz from the last 2 years. Energy, shift disturber and offensive threat.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
After Thursday, Leafs don't have a start time later than 8pm the rest of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad