Pre-Game Talk: Leafs at Wings 7 EST

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
One of the reasons Svech and Kaski (for mere days) were recalled in my opinion is money. That is often overlooked but being on the roster for the week can often be a huge deal monetarily. When I used to hang out with some AHL guys in Milwaukee, the guy that got called up bought all the guys drinks in part because he was looking at making in a two week stay usually at least half of his salary in the AHL for the entire season.

After having a dominant AHL game with a week of downtime practice they decided to call him up to practice with the NHL team to continue giving him a look. Let's just say there are 26 paying weeks in the NHL or half the year. His salary in the NHL for a week is about 32,000 dollars then. His salary in the AHL would be 2,700 dollars a week. I mean people made the joke that Rasmussen looked angry but going down is a big deal monetarily and being called up is a huge deal to an AHL guy. For a guy like McIlrath to spend the end of last season on the roster isn't small to him even if we don't like to look at it like that. Missing two games with the Griffins to practice with the big club and continue showing where he is at probably isn't something that is bothering Svech as much as people think. Yeah he needs to play, he will get in a game soon enough either at the NHL or AHL level, but being with our doctors and around our team where he eventually wants to be and stay this year probably isn't the burr in his saddle that it is to most posters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mister Ed

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Excited for this game tonight. I am sure there are more social things I could be doing on a Saturday night, but I am never happier than watching us take on the hated Leafs. Already bought my Canadian beer, hopefully the first line delivers and makes the grumbles louder in Toronto about their putrid back-end's defensive abilities. They have a lot of offense, but if we stay with the structure we have been playing Ceci, Barrie, Rielly and company are all guys that can be taken advantage of in their end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad