Pre-Game Talk: Leafs at Wings 7 EST

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
  1. Ansar Khan‏Verified account @AnsarKhanMLive 2h2 hours ago
    Blashill said Svechnikov will remain with the team at least through tomorrow's game, didn't reveal if he'll play (probably not), and said no decision yet on whether he'll accompany team on Western Canada trip next week.

2. Ansar Khan‏Verified account @AnsarKhanMLive 2h2 hours ago
    #RedWings Blashill said they’re hoping Hronek can play tomorrow but they won’t know until then. (Hronek was cut above the eye)
  3. lines at practice:

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
    Glendening-Athanasiou-Hirose
    Ehn-Filppula-Erne
    Helm-de la Rose-Abdelkader (Svechnikov working in)

Defense: DeKeyser-Biega (for Hronek)
    Nemeth-Green
    Cholowski-Bowey

Nielsen, Daley, Ericsson (IR) not skating. Howard Bernier

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't understand why Svech is around if he's not going to play. Is he missing Griffins games?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Not that I want to see anyone become unemployed, but wouldn't it be ironic if the Leafs were humbled by the Wings tomorrow night - thus fueling speculation that Babs' job is on the line?

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Games against the Leafs were some of the best wings games last season. Larkin always has his best games against them

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Per TSN & Sportsnet.ca, the Leafs had a "family discussion" about talent not winning hockey games, defense first etc. I expect they'll come out guns-a-blazin', I'm hoping for another 6-5 OT thriller Wings win or better yet a 5-0 Wings SO.

Poor Babs' seat has been lukewarm for ~1 year & getting warmer. Ultimately, I think their failures in the PO's the last 2 years have been way more about their crappy D corps & lack of team defense/grit, but this year they should have enough talent on D to overcome most grit/physical deficencies. Babs will likely be the scapegoat if they fall to the B's again in the 1st round. They should trade Kapanen or Johnsson for a good stay at home Top 4 physical D w/size (Brad Stuart clone) & drop Ceci to the 3rd pair where he belongs. I'm surprised Shanny hasn't done this already, not sure why.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Per TSN & Sportsnet.ca, the Leafs had a "family discussion" about talent not winning hockey games, defense first etc. I expect they'll come out guns-a-blazin', I'm hoping for another 6-5 OT thriller Wings win or better yet a 5-0 Wings SO.

Poor Babs' seat has been lukewarm for ~1 year & getting warmer. Ultimately, I think their failures in the PO's the last 2 years have been way more about their crappy D corps & lack of team defense/grit, but this year they should have enough talent on D to overcome most grit/physical deficencies. Babs will likely be the scapegoat if they fall to the B's again in the 1st round. They should trade Kapanen or Johnsson for a good stay at home Top 4 physical D w/size (Brad Stuart clone) & drop Ceci to the 3rd pair where he belongs. I'm surprised Shanny hasn't done this already, not sure why.

Shanny has let Dubas do what he wants to do and that is build an entire defense of puck movers that are below average defensively outside of Muzzin. I will grant that Rielly is merely average to kind of poor defensively, the rest are tire fire bad when asked to check. When they play other elite teams that hem them in they get smashed like they did last night. All offense all the time seems unlikely to work but that is the Dubas plan.

Kapanen and Johnsson are on better deals, frankly it is Nylander they need to move... Not sure I really care though, I enjoy watching the Leafs lose. I am hoping they don't get it fixed, their logic seems deeply flawed.

Reactions: avssuc

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2019-10-11_19-5-54.png

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Shanny has let Dubas do what he wants to do and that is build an entire defense of puck movers that are below average defensively outside of Muzzin. I will grant that Rielly is merely average to kind of poor defensively, the rest are tire fire bad when asked to check. When they play other elite teams that hem them in they get smashed like they did last night. All offense all the time seems unlikely to work but that is the Dubas plan.

Kapanen and Johnsson are on better deals, frankly it is Nylander they need to move... Not sure I really care though, I enjoy watching the Leafs lose. I am hoping they don't get it fixed, their logic seems deeply flawed.
100% except for the Nylander part.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
No discredit to Glendening or his play, but i'd still like to see what a AA - Filppula - Hirose line would look like for a full game.

I think it's gonna be a decently high scoring game, but I think the Leafs edge it out in OT. LGW!

Reactions: RedMenace

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
-bench / trade / waive flip and install svetch
-like the 2 line
I'd get rid of Ehn first, put Svech in. Not sure why they have him working with the 4th line, it's the third line that needs a shake up.

Edit: When Nielsen comes back, Flip probably plays wing anyways.

Last edited:

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
-bench / trade / waive flip and install svetch
-like the 2 line

Flipper is a better player with a better contract than Nielsen at this point; I know he's injured, but I'd find a way to ditch Weird Flip before The One Tan.

I'd get rid of Ehn first, put Svech in. Not sure why they have him working with the 4th line, it's the third line that needs a shake up.

Edit: When Nielsen comes back, Flip probably plays wing anyways.

Man, I don't get Blashill's lines, and would sit de la Rose before anyone else. Honestly, this is what I'd do:

Hirose - Flip - AA
Svechnikov - Glendening - Erne
Helm - Ehn- Sandwichmaker

DLR can sub in with Ehn until a waive or trade is needed.

I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but Nielsen's contract is bad right now. The Wings REALLY need another top-six center.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Flipper is a better player with a better contract than Nielsen at this point; I know he's injured, but I'd find a way to ditch Weird Flip before The One Tan.

Man, I don't get Blashill's lines, and would sit de la Rose before anyone else. Honestly, this is what I'd do:

I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but Nielsen's contract is bad right now. The Wings REALLY need another top-six center.
I think De La Rose has been better than Ehn so far.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

Hirose - Flip - AA

I like the idea of a Hirose/Flip/AA line...Hirose/Flip can feed the biscuit to AA as he blows past the Leafs D.

Northwing19

Apr 9, 2018
I will be watching this game with a bunch of leaf fans and will be wearing my Yzerman jersey so they better win tonight. LGRW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->