All Encompassing Coaching Status Thread | TOR hire Paul McFarland as an Assistant Coach

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
Then can take babs after they interview Keefe and want to hire him duby will can mike before he loses his boy

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Then can take babs after they interview Keefe and want to hire him duby will can mike before he loses his boy
Good luck taking that one to the Leafs board..... Babcock makes the most out of anyone in management, that gives him significant sway.

Keefe is quickly becoming insanely overrated around here.

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
Good luck taking that one to the Leafs board..... Babcock makes the most out of anyone in management, that gives him significant sway.

They would have zero problem firing him, somebody else will hire him due to his rep and the leafs will only be on the hook for the difference in money.

It was a joke anyway, I honestly do not pay nearly enough attention to the marlies to have a real opinion on Keefe

Reactions: Jared Henderson

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They would have zero problem firing him, somebody else will hire him due to his rep and the leafs will only be on the hook for the difference in money.

It was a joke anyway, I honestly do not pay nearly enough attention to the marlies to have a real opinion on Keefe
They may side with Babs over Dubas. Babs has significant sway. They wouldn't blindly approve anything Dubas or Shanny wants.

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
They may side with Babs over Dubas. Babs has significant sway. They wouldn't blindly approve anything Dubas or Shanny wants.
Neither of us truly knows what goes on with the board but all evidence suggest shanny makes that call

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
Bell and Rogers CEO make the call on anything related to that. They likely side with Shanny, but it isn't clear cut.
That’s not how we work anymore, shanny made sure he had control when he came in, he reports the plan to the board of course but the call is his.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That’s not how we work anymore, shanny made sure he had control when he came in, he reports the plan to the board of course but the call is his.
No, the board can overrule him if they think it is misguided. He doesn't have that level of control. When you are firing an employee who is owed 32 million dollars, that goes to Bell and Rogers. The only thing that massively changed, is that Bell and Rogers can't vote against each other per their ownership agreement, that stripped Tannenbaum of all power.

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
No, the board can overrule him if they think it is misguided. He doesn't have that level of control. When you are firing an employee who is owed 32 million dollars, that goes to Bell and Rogers. The only thing that massively changed, is that Bell and Rogers can't vote against each other per their ownership agreement, that stripped Tannenbaum of all power.
He’s done nothing in his tenure for it to get to that point. Obviously they can overule, it wouldn’t get to that point unless he’s constantly firing people and we are a losing team again, he has control and full autonomy. We were told all hockey related decisions are his. The buck stops at shanny.
If you choose not to believe that’s on you! Have a good night.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Apparently, Dubas made sure that he had a claim put in his contract that he can fire babcock if he wants to before he agreed to be a GM and signed on the dotted line.

at least that was the rumour going on when he became the GM not sure if confirmed

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Apparently, Dubas made sure that he had a claim put in his contract that he can fire babcock if he wants to before he agreed to be a GM and signed on the dotted line.

at least that was the rumour going on when he became the GM not sure if confirmed
And the board can say we will ignore that clause and fire him. I haven't seen that written anywhere reliable. I don't think Dubas had the sway to get that in a written contract.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Dubas can fire Babcock if he wants too. If he cant, hes not GM.

That said, Dubas isnt anywhere close to that now. He isnt just firing Babs without it a justifiable reason to do it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Dubas can fire Babcock if he wants too. If he cant, hes not GM.

That said, Dubas isnt anywhere close to that now. He isnt just firing Babs without it a justifiable reason to do it.
Tons of GM's can't unilaterally fire their coach. It took Bowman almost 2 years to get Wirtz to sign off on firing Q.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
And the board can say we will ignore that clause and fire him. I haven't seen that written anywhere reliable. I don't think Dubas had the sway to get that in a written contract.

I would assume that if babcock has a huge "sway" par lindholm would still be a leaf and McBackup the goalie backing Freddy not sparks

Dubas made roster decisions IMO;

(i could be wrong here, am just guessing)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I would assume that if babcock has a huge "sway" par lindholm would still be a leaf and McBackup the goalie backing Freddy not sparks

Dubas made roster decisions IMO;

(i could be wrong here, am just guessing)
Dubas has control over roster moves. Big difference between that, and being able to fire an employee who makes significantly more than you. I'd be surprised if any GM realistically has the power to unilaterally fire their head coach. That always goes to the board or owner. Generally, the board sides with the GM and/or president, or fires everyone. Two publically traded companies aren't going to let an employee who is owed 32 million be fired without it going to the board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->