News Article: Leafs are now identifiable.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Why should two games carry more weight than the previous 25?

I thought all that back patting last week meant we finally had a system that would prevent these weak come from behind loses, like we have been prone to in the last few years. I guess when the two top point producers play average for 3 games in a row, that world class team defence don't mean a pinch of poo...

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Goal tending has not been a problem the last 3 games, last night a tip and Matthews Karate Kid kick resulted in 2 goals against, not sure there is a goalie on earth that could have prevented those two goals.

Yeah man for sure.

D3CA4B45-60C7-4367-AB6F-E0AB47D8B3CB.jpeg

The first Canucks game featured Hutch but still, Andy hasn’t been good the past couple of games.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I thought all that back patting last week meant we finally had a system that would prevent these weak come from behind loses, like we have been prone to in the last few years. I guess when the two top point producers play average for 3 games in a row, that world class team defence don't mean a pinch of poo...

The Leafs limited the Jets to 23 shots against. And Matthews had two goals last night too.

A team can play well on the whole and still lose a game once in a while. It's not as of the Bolts went undefeated in the regular season the year they won the cup

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Goal tending has not been a problem the last 3 games, last night a tip and Matthews Karate Kid kick resulted in 2 goals against, not sure there is a goalie on earth that could have prevented those two goals.

Seems like you're arguing against yourself here a bit. Two flukey goals against isn't reflective of a systemic team problem.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Seems like you're arguing against yourself here a bit. Two flukey goals against isn't reflective of a systemic team problem.

Calls it as I see it, 2 tips, one crappy goal and a stalled offence. This team will go as far as Matthews and Marner will score. We are not built to out defend, we are built to outscore. Marner has entered his WTF are you doing stage of the season, he should come out of it in the next week or two. Nylander, well Nylander is Nylander, All Star one game, spectator the next 8. JT has been horrid this year, slow, forcing plays that results in mistakes. When this team is "on" very few teams can beat us, when we play like we have the last 3 games, any team can beat us. we rely far too much on puck luck and fancy passing plays. I still don't believe this team is a top tier defensive team

Reactions: SeaChaser and MJK

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Any stand up goalie over 6ft2 would have got Matty's own goal ... only butterfly guys get scored on ... a stand up 6ft6 goaler puck would have hit him in upper stomach ... but because of flopping butterfly style employed it goes over his shoulder

Reactions: Confucius

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Any stand up goalie over 6ft2 would have got Matty's own goal ... only butterfly guys get scored on ... a stand up 6ft6 goaler puck would have hit him in upper stomach ... but because of flopping butterfly style employed it goes over his shoulder
5 hole freddy putt putt.
He can’t get up or down
5 more games as backup
Then run him outta town :)

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
5 hole freddy putt putt.
He can’t get up or down
5 more games as backup
Then run him outta town :)
I hope Dubie can pull off da miracle I really do ... but i think he tried and failed already ... now quite frankly it will cost us too much to unload him ... like please take Freddy and we will give you a 2021 pick for your trouble

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I hope Dubie can pull off da miracle I really do ... but i think he tried and failed already ... now quite frankly it will cost us too much to unload him ... like please take Freddy and we will give you a 2021 pick for your trouble
Then there are other teams worse off too. I completely understand the position he’s put the team in. He got greasy right after Keefe pulled him last year and it’s been downhill ever since. Keefe needs to tell him he needs better if we can’t move him.
There is not much chance Dubas re-signs is there really. He has to go but if it’s the end of season thats fine. We need a goalie regardless because he’s a headcase now.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Calls it as I see it, 2 tips, one crappy goal and a stalled offence. This team will go as far as Matthews and Marner will score. We are not built to out defend, we are built to outscore. Marner has entered his WTF are you doing stage of the season, he should come out of it in the next week or two. Nylander, well Nylander is Nylander, All Star one game, spectator the next 8. JT has been horrid this year, slow, forcing plays that results in mistakes. When this team is "on" very few teams can beat us, when we play like we have the last 3 games, any team can beat us. we rely far too much on puck luck and fancy passing plays. I still don't believe this team is a top tier defensive team

I just think youre exaggerating things here.

The team defensively limited the Jets to less than 25 shots against while generating 3 goals of offense The Jets ended up with a couple goals during the game that they were lucky to have. Leafs should have won last night but didn't. It's unfortunate but these games happen

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
if Matty didn't tip it, butterfly was the position to make the proper save. what are you talking about?

Reactions: NikoEhlers

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
if Matty didn't tip it, butterfly was the position to make the proper save. what are you talking about?
Watch da replay ... deflected puck went up from mid net to top it did not change direction ... so our goalie went down into butterfly ... if he stayed up on his feet it hits him in upper chest ... he choose to protect lower net and leave parts of upper net open ... it was a clean shot except for Matty so he could have stayed upright for da floater which came in from Morrissey ... he has a shot like Reilly weak weak and weaker

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
When the going gets scrambly he resorts to the belly flop style which only makes it worse.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
When the going gets scrambly he resorts to the belly flop style which only makes it worse.
Yep he does that when games get too fast for his processing and athletic ability ... if you played defense you will see bigger slower defenders let blue line go on rush to speedy forwards ... and wingers who do not backcheck start swinging their arms and make it look like they are pumping hard to get back when really they are resting up for next attack

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Yep he does that when games get too fast for his processing and athletic ability ... if you played defense you will see bigger slower defenders let blue line go on rush to speedy forwards ... and wingers who do not backcheck start swinging their arms and make it look like they are pumping hard to get back when really they are resting up for next attack
My son great kid, but was an average Houseleague player at best. I used to help on the bench, anyway, he would come into the bench huffing and puffing. Had everyone fooled but me. I took him aside and told him he wasn't fooling me and to stop the academy performance. lol.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Watch da replay ... deflected puck went up from mid net to top it did not change direction ... so our goalie went down into butterfly ... if he stayed up on his feet it hits him in upper chest ... he choose to protect lower net and leave parts of upper net open ... it was a clean shot except for Matty so he could have stayed upright for da floater which came in from Morrissey ... he has a shot like Reilly weak weak and weaker

Sorry but that goal is on Matty. Andy didn't commit to a butterfly, the puck is redirected which made Andy push off with his left leg to shift right but it's too late by then...

Youtube has a feature that you can slow down the playback by 0.25x speed.

Watch the play around 4min.20sec

Reactions: Jeypic

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

The last stand up goalie that I can recall is Brodeur, virtually every goalie in todays game is a butterfly goalie. There is a reason why teams practice tipping the puck, it works. There are very few super athletic reaction type goalies left, guys like Hasek are unique because they are unicorns, athletic, flip floppers are in the minority. The vast majority are built like walls, wear over size equipment to look like a wall and play angles and position themselves for the percentages (What is the most likely shot). Look at Miller, the guy is so small, like puny small, he's got shoulders like a brook trout, if he didn't have facial hair, based on his size you'd think he is a tall 12 year old, but he looks huge in net. It's all about being big in net and blocking shots.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Sorry but that goal is on Matty. Andy didn't commit to a butterfly, the puck is redirected which made Andy push off with his left leg to shift right but it's too late by then...

Youtube has a feature that you can slow down the playback by 0.25x speed.

Watch the play around 4min.20sec

I did re-watch it man ... he is on his knees completely in butterfly ... that was my exact point ... if he stood up at 6ft5 frame it hits him in upper chest area ... watch again he gave up top foot of net being in a butterfly when there was no need to go into butterfly except it is his training to do it in every circumstance ... he does not have training in enough competitive games as a kid and minor to understand all da different nuances of shot positions ... it is not his fault he was born in Denmark

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The last stand up goalie that I can recall is Brodeur, virtually every goalie in todays game is a butterfly goalie. There is a reason why teams practice tipping the puck, it works. There are very few super athletic reaction type goalies left, guys like Hasek are unique because they are unicorns, athletic, flip floppers are in the minority. The vast majority are built like walls, wear over size equipment to look like a wall and play angles and position themselves for the percentages (What is the most likely shot). Look at Miller, the guy is so small, like puny small, he's got shoulders like a brook trout, if he didn't have facial hair, based on his size you'd think he is a tall 12 year old, but he looks huge in net. It's all about being big in net and blocking shots.
Yes all true but da best goalers know when to go into butterfly and when to stand up ... watch Price watch Helle they understand when to drop and when not to drop ... Freddy does not have this situation training built into his brain as a kid and minor playing house league in Denmark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad