Leafs are dominating the stats

TMLOBI

Jul 22, 2010
Toronto
Not sure about this corsi thing. It doesn't appear to take into account special teams or quality of chances. One of my "friends" who isn't a Leaf fan is saying how the Leafs are all awful yada yada yada. I proved to him with stats that we are a dominate team 8 games into the season.

Here goes

Tied for first in the conference (12 points, I know 3rd with tie
breakers)

Tied for second in the league in points (12)

3rd ranked power play (29%)

4th ranked penalty kill (87.1%)

Best special teams by a land slide

Goals for per game in NHL (6th)

Goals against per game in NHL (11th)

Goals for/against ratio 1.14/1 (13th) average but special teams win games

4 ppg or better players (Lupul, JVR, Kessel, Raymond)

Tied for 3rd dman in points (Franson)

Bernier .940 save%(goalies 5 or more games played he is ranked 5th)

Reimer .917 save%

Injured winger on every line

Injured top 6 dman

Getting it done with rookies

Getting it done with the youngest team in the NHL

The only area where the Leafs are not dominate happen to be shots for/against per game and face off %. Can't be good at everything I guess.. but we are dominate in the categories that win games (goals for and special teams).

The sick thing is this team can and will improve a lot as the season progresses. We will hopefully get healthy and our younger guys will only become better with more NHL experience.

This Leaf team is going to be very special for many years to come. What we saw last year wasn't a fluke. Are we an anomaly? Tell that to our special teams and on ice success.

Audi*

Nov 22, 2009
you forgot we're also leading in:

Goaltender goals (1) Jonathan Bernier

hockeyfanz*

Dominating stats? Hardly dominating on the ice if you have been paying attention. The teams they have faced have hardly been juggernauts. Have they played a team yet that can be considered a lock for the playoffs? (Maybe Ottawa?)

They really need to play better if they hope to make the playoffs...seriously. But granted they are missing some key players..and cannot fault them for winning the games they SHOULD win...but hardly dominant.

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
Dominating stats? Hardly dominating on the ice if you have been paying attention. The teams they have faced have hardly been juggernauts. Have they played a team yet that can be considered a lock for the playoffs? (Maybe Ottawa?)

They really need to play better if they hope to make the playoffs...seriously. But granted they are missing some key players..and cannot fault them for winning the games they SHOULD win...but hardly dominant.

Buzz killer

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008

Every team is a lock for the playoffs, until Toronto exposes their terribleness, that is.

UTTERLY ELITE TALENT

hockeyfanz*

Every team is a lock for the playoffs, until Toronto exposes their terribleness, that is.

UTTERLY ELITE TALENT

ummm...yeah. Montreal...bubble team. Flyers...awful. Sens (I expect them to make it).
Avalanche...good young team..but Buds were outplayed and lost. Preds...going nowhere. Oilers...outplayed..outchanced the Leafs...Dubnyk absolutely stunk....another bubble team. Wild...possible playoff team but hardly a lock. Canes..dont think so but beat the Leafs anyway...

exaggerate much?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
ummm...yeah. Montreal...bubble team. Flyers...awful. Sens (I expect them to make it).
Avalanche...good young team..but Buds were outplayed and lost. Preds...going nowhere. Oilers...outplayed..outchanced the Leafs...Dubnyk absolutely stunk....another bubble team. Wild...possible playoff team but hardly a lock. Canes..dont think so but beat the Leafs anyway...

exaggerate much?

46877d1339024234-im-taking-bull-horn-buzz_killington.jpg

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Not sure about this corsi thing. It doesn't appear to take into account special teams or quality of chances. One of my "friends" who isn't a Leaf fan is saying how the Leafs are all awful yada yada yada. I proved to him with stats that we are a dominate team 8 games into the season.

Here goes

Tied for first in the conference (12 points, I know 3rd with tie
breakers)

Tied for second in the league in points (12)

3rd ranked power play (29%)

4th ranked penalty kill (87.1%)

Best special teams by a land slide

Goals for per game in NHL (6th)

Goals against per game in NHL (11th)

Goals for/against ratio 1.14/1 (13th) average but special teams win games

4 ppg or better players (Lupul, JVR, Kessel, Raymond)

Tied for 3rd dman in points (Franson)

Bernier .940 save%(goalies 5 or more games played he is ranked 5th)

Reimer .917 save%

Injured winger on every line

Injured top 6 dman

Getting it done with rookies

Getting it done with the youngest team in the NHL

The only area where the Leafs are not dominate happen to be shots for/against per game and face off %. Can't be good at everything I guess.. but we are dominate in the categories that win games (goals for and special teams).

The sick thing is this team can and will improve a lot as the season progresses. We will hopefully get healthy and our younger guys will only become better with more NHL experience.

This Leaf team is going to be very special for many years to come. What we saw last year wasn't a fluke. Are we an anomaly? Tell that to our special teams and on ice success.

Personally I think face off win% is a undervalued stat. Just imagine how lethal our team would be if we had a guy like Bergeron who can win a good chunk of those offensive zone face offs and get the puck quickly to JVR or Kessel.

DPyro

Jun 28, 2010
Dominating stats? Hardly dominating on the ice if you have been paying attention. The teams they have faced have hardly been juggernauts.

Irrelevant. They are pro players playing against other pro players. Winning games is all that matters.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada

As much as it pains me to say they are a playoff team but we did beat Montreal...

Mar 14, 2011

exaggerate much?

Your fooling yourself if you dont think the Wild and Preds are anything less than a good team, thou we did got lucky the Wild put the rookie in net instead of Harding.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

exaggerate much?

So you're saying we played like **** and beat those teams.

So we must be lock for Stanley Cup if we ever get our **** together then. :yo:

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
didn't some argue that advance stats are irrelevant? now we are saying basic stats aren't? common guys:laugh:

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Out pp and pk will get us in to playoffs but the 5on5 play will win us series when the refs put away their whistles. This is what we have to improve.

BlueMapleDawg

Mar 30, 2009
Canada
Hmmm remember when the Canucks were "the best regulation team there ever was" and got stomped by the LA Kings in the playoffs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad