Leafs are a 10-1 favorite to win the Stanley Cup in 2019

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Do you mean like the previous Cup winning Pens did in 2016 & 2017? What were their odds to repeat?

Hawks also won 3 Cups over 5 seasons and LA won Cups in 2014 and 2012 and so as far as trending goes it appears once you have won you seem to be Cup competitive for the next few years not just a 1 year wonder.

Caps not even on the list seems like oddsmakers are removing the favourite from the field as the defending champs.

You should start a betting system that uses this logic to set odds. Then, you can use your billions made to buy the Leafs and eradicate all the undersized wingers.

Reactions: ObscureAlien

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
It's even money if the Leafs don't win a playoff series next season Dubas fires Babcock.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You should start a betting system that uses this logic to set odds. Then, you can use your billions made to buy the Leafs and eradicate all the undersized wingers.

Vegas odds makers are smart, as they use the Leafs fan base to exploit them to help cover and pay off their own bets that payout, thus they set their odds accordingly.

Washington the defending champs that just proved they're good enough to win it all should be ahead of lots of teams that are unproven. IMO

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Vegas odds makers are smart, as they use the Leafs fan base to exploit them to help cover and pay off their own bets that payout, thus they set their odds accordingly.

Washington the defending champs that just proved they're good enough to win it all should be ahead of lots of teams that are unproven. IMO
So what is the explanation for the Leafs always having terrible odds in the Vegas line?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So what is the explanation for the Leafs always having terrible odds in the Vegas line?

What do you mean by terrible?

Leafs are among the Cup favourites, as only TB has better current odds.

Even Vegas the team that lost in the Cup finals has better odds than the Cup winning Caps team. :help:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What do you mean by terrible?

I'm pretty sure he's referring to our history over the years and he's right - the Leafs getting credit from the bookies for being a good team is a relatively new phenomenon, when they were a terrible team they were given terrible odds.

Leafs are among the Cup favourites, as only TB has better current odds.

Even Vegas the team that lost in the Cup finals has better odds than the Cup winning Caps team. :help:

I can see why this would upset you. Perhaps you should write an open letter to the bookmakers in Vegas, they may or may not pay any attention to you but it might assuage your pain some.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
To be tied for the second best odds in the league with the deficiencies we still have on the roster is very optimistic to say the least. I think we crack the top ten, but that's as far as I would go at the moment.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
To be tied for the second best odds in the league with the deficiencies we still have on the roster is very optimistic to say the least. I think we crack the top ten, but that's as far as I would go at the moment.

Its a Win Win for Vegas oddsmakers to set the Leafs odds favouably to exploit the Leafs fan base to get large volume betting setting them among Cup favourites.

Its a Honey trap !!

Even then if Toronto should win the payout minimal and covered easily based on the odds given.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Its a Win Win for Vegas oddsmakers to set the Leafs odds favouably to exploit the Leafs fan base to get large volume betting setting them among Cup favourites.

Its a Honey trap !!

Even then if Toronto should win the payout minimal and covered easily based on the odds given.

It's not a honey trap though if the payout isn't as large as it should be, at least not in my opinion.

If I had the guts to lay down a serious wager on the Leafs winning the Cup next year, I'd expect a lot more than 10-1 odds, lol.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Vegas is looking at the bell curve here.

Has the Leafs peaked? Or are they good money to improve on a 105 point season....

With the young core and looking at the last part of their season in particular, it's good money to think they will at least slightly improve so let's say they only win 5 more games than they lost next year compared to last year.

That's a 115 point team.

What are the odds of a 115 point team winning the cup?

Is 10-1 an exaggeration?

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Would seem foolish to bet on the Leafs at such low odds. They're a middle-of-the-pack contender.

Similiar odds to the Lightning, Jets and Pens is laughable but also a bit of an opportunity for those with at least half a brain.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I just want to get past the 1st round before I start reading more into Vegas odds.

Im in Edmonton and at the beginning of this past season the Oilers were really high up on the favorites list to win the cup and everyone up here was super pumped and we all know what happened, not even a playoff spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->