GDT: Leafs and Wings at the Louis - 7:30 start on LeafsTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
We're pretty close to the start of the season. Be nice to see the real lines.

I mean you can somewhat find pairs that might play together this year. JVR/Bozak, Kadri/Raymond (at least to start), Lupul/Kulemin (if Raymond starts third line), etc. Just not whole lines you actually expect to see. Just seems like we won't actually see our starting lineup until the very first game of the season.

APV

Sep 28, 2009
We're pretty close to the start of the season. Be nice to see the real lines.

I mean you can somewhat find pairs that might play together this year. JVR/Bozak, Kadri/Raymond (at least to start), Lupul/Kulemin (if Raymond starts third line), etc. Just not whole lines you actually expect to see. Just seems like we won't actually see our starting lineup until the very first game of the season.

I dont see how that prepares us...

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Paul Hendrick @HennyTweets
Jonathan bernier will start tonight in detroit.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Paul Hendrick @HennyTweets
Probable d: phaneuf-gunnarsson. Fraser-ranger. Gardiner-franson.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
It seems odd that Fraser and Ranger are paired up and Gardiner and Franson are too and again Liles is not playing.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Big chance for broll here. A bit surprising but he may have legitimately played his way into an injury fill in position.

Lineup otherwise looks very similar to opening day probables, aside from the bolland-kadri flipflop.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Big chance for broll here. A bit surprising but he may have legitimately played his way into an injury fill in position.

Lineup otherwise looks very similar to opening day probables, aside from the bolland-kadri flipflop.

Based on what I've seen in preseason so far, I'd have Devane in over Broll.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London

Unless the plan is to have 3 scoring lines again kind of like last year?

1st line - JVR - Bozak - Kessel (scoring)
2nd line - Lupul - Bolland - Kulemin (shutdown, kind of like the grabo line last year but Bolland instead of Grabo (better suited) and Lupul instead of MacArthur (more offense))
3rd line - Broll - Kadri - Raymond (sheltered minutes for Kadri again, replace Clarkson with Broll when back from suspension)

I could see that happening I guess. It kind of mimics what we had last year. Broll with Kadri could be like when we had Orr playing with Kadri sometimes.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It seems odd that Fraser and Ranger are paired up and Gardiner and Franson are too and again Liles is not playing.

Not odd at all. Fraser and Franson will most likely be together to start the season but Gardiner/Franson had alot of success during the playoffs so I'm sure they just want to see if they could continue that. That pairing certainly has more upside leaving Fraser to a more suitable 3rd pairing role.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
so....

JVR - Bozak - Clarkson
Lupul - Bolland - Kulemin
Broll - Kadri - Raymond
Ashton - McClement - Orr

Gunnar - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Franson
Fraser - Ranger

1. Big chance for Broll here. He's the only guy in that entire lineup that sticks out as a guy that might not be a regular this year, so obviously he's made an impression. And I don't blame the coaches - Broll is not only a monster, but he can legitimately skate and even handle the puck.

2. Ashton has made this team. That is our 4th line this year. Colborne has lost that battle, but might still stick as an extra forward if we can clear some capspace.

3. Franson - Ranger I can see swapping those roles back and forth all year. A Fraser-Ranger pairing could make more sense as a "shutdown" pair, leaving the Gardiner-Franson to be more of a pure offense pair. Moreover, whenever Rielly plays, playing him with a vet like Ranger makes much more sense than pairing him with a guy like Franson, so this set up here would make it much simpler to swap Rielly/Fraser in and out of the lineup....or even booting Fraser out of the regular starting lineup altogether.

4. Kadri and Bolland swapping places is a bit weird, but there's a few things that might be going on here. First off I think this is the first time Raymond is playing the right side, so that would seem to be him getting a look as a potential Clarkson replacement. Secondly, Kadri-Raymond could easily be described as more of the 2nd line than the Bolland-Kulemin pair, so this would mean that the only real difference here is Lupul and Broll, who might easily be flipped tonight. Third thing is that this might be a preview of Randy experimenting with a 3-scoring lines approach, with Broll filling in the Clarkson role on that Kadri line - i.e. maybe Randy's playing with the idea of having Raymond-Kadri-Clarkson and Lupul-Bolland-Kulemin as the 2/3 lines.

Either way, this is the first time we're seeing a legit NHL lineup this preseason, and it looks like the wings are icing one too. Hopefully both teams bring it and we see some real action for the first time.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

2nd line - Lupul - Bolland - Kulemin (shutdown, kind of like the grabo line last year)
3rd line - Broll - Kadri - Raymond (sheltered minutes for Kadri again, replace Clarkson with Broll when back from suspension)

I could see that happening I guess. It kind of mimics what we had last year. Broll with Kadri could be like when we had Orr playing with Kadri sometimes.

That's BS! Kadri should be given every opportunity to show that he can produce big time points and eventually supplant Bozak. Stop with this sheltered minutes BS.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

2nd line - Lupul - Bolland - Kulemin (shutdown, kind of like the grabo line last year but Bolland instead of Grabo (better suited) and Lupul instead of MacArthur (more offense))

yeah on second thought that occurred to me too. Especially if you look at Broll as a Clarkson fill in, so that becomes a Raymond-Kadri-Clarkson line, which could easily be considered the 2nd line too.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
yeah on second thought that occurred to me too. Especially if you look at Broll as a Clarkson fill in, so that becomes a Raymond-Kadri-Clarkson line, which could easily be considered the 2nd line too.

Yeah, that's how it was last year as well. Fans were considering the 3rd line (Kadri) as our 2nd line due to the more scoring. Carlyle likes having his 2nd line as the shutdown though which gets less scoring. Just flip them with how we write it and people would have less issue with this lineup I think :laugh:

jvr-bozak-clarkson
Broll-kadri-raymond
Lupul-bolland-kulemin
Ashton-mcclement-orr

Kessel in for Clarkson, Clarkson in for Broll. Would people complain about that? I just switched how the lines were written :P

EtoDemerzel

Aug 4, 2009
Toronto
People, it's preseason - don't stress over projected TOI.

This is a warmup for the season, and is day 1 of back to back games. In other words whoever doesn't get much play time today, will get more tomorrow.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Not odd at all. Fraser and Franson will most likely be together to start the season but Gardiner/Franson had alot of success during the playoffs so I'm sure they just want to see if they could continue that. That pairing certainly has more upside leaving Fraser to a more suitable 3rd pairing role.

I don't disagee with you but with the season is fast approaching and you would think they would set the defence, as if it would be at the start of the season, they have Phanuef and Gunnarsson paired and the natural pairings would be Phanuef/Gunnarsson, Gardiner/Ranger and Franson/Fraser but they could be trying different combos to see how they play together. :dunno:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Carlyle said that he expects both teams to dress their opening night lineups tonight.

Rielly not playing. Bernier starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->