Proposal: Leafs and Stars

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bishop is usually a 45-50 game starter due to injuries, which is all the Leafs need anyway (given that this season will likely be reduced schedule, and we have Campbell/Dell, both who have the ability to play 20-25 games. The only issue.... Bishop is turning 34 in a month. Freddy just turned 31, and Bishop is already dealing with injury issues.

I don't know..... which probably means it's a fair deal.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It's not a sure fire upgrade on Andersen (who I don't think is the problem in Toronto) because Bishop gets hurt quite often. He wasn't even the goalie that took Dallas to the final this year so how do you know he would take the Leafs to the promise land? Bishop is not reliable. I much rather re-sign Andersen if there aren't any reliable sure fire upgrades.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Definitely an interesting proposal. Good job OP. Bishop's propensity for injury is a concern, but he's got a very good playoff record imo and the cost certainty there has to be a net positive for the Leafs.

Anderson to Dallas would allow them to move on from Bishop without much (if any) dropoff

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Like the trade for both sides. Dallas gets out of Bishop’s deal 2 years early but still get a good goalie in return and the leafs get some cost certainty with a guy probably as good.
Injury history though is scary.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
It's not a sure fire upgrade on Andersen (who I don't think is the problem in Toronto) because Bishop gets hurt quite often. He wasn't even the goalie that took Dallas to the final this year so how do you know he would take the Leafs to the promise land? Bishop is not reliable. I much rather re-sign Andersen if there aren't any reliable sure fire upgrades.
It’s easy to forget now but Bishop was the furthest thing from the problem the year before. I don’t think the Stars do the trade because Bishop gives them the best chance of winning a playoff series. Good proposal though.

Reactions: 1FreakZilla3

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Given Bishop's propensity to get hurt, as a Leaf fan, I wouldn't do it.

If you have a guy like Bishop, you NEED at least a 30 game starter to tandem with him. At $5m, I don't believe the leafs can afford both beyond Campbell's current deal.

That being said, if Dallas were to retain a small amount (something like $500k), I'd do it.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Interesting idea, but too risky for me as a Leafs fan. Bishop will be 34 to start next season, and he’s had a tough career, lots of injuries. Just coming off a knee surgery too. He could fall off a cliff at any point, as early as next season. I’d rather have 1 year of Andersen, then figure out next steps, vs. making a very risky 3 year commitment to Bishop.

Reactions: teddygmr

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Given Bishop's propensity to get hurt, as a Leaf fan, I wouldn't do it.

If you have a guy like Bishop, you NEED at least a 30 game starter to tandem with him. At $5m, I don't believe the leafs can afford both beyond Campbell's current deal.

That being said, if Dallas were to retain a small amount (something like $500k), I'd do it.

The Leafs have a 25-30 game guy in Campbell

horner

May 22, 2007
To Dallas
G. F Andersen 5.0

To Leafs
G. B Bishop 4.9

Hockey trade, Andersen 1 season left 5.0, Stars just resigned their playoff hero to a 3 season deal.
Bishop at 4.9 is almost even for cap hits. Stars save real money as Andersen is only owed 1 mil.

Tbh with that Dallas d core this could be a great move for Andersen.
Stars remove 5 mil cap space after this season.
Yay/Nay??
What is the need for Toronto to do this?

horner

May 22, 2007
Selective analysis is fun, isn't it? :laugh:

Now look up their stats from the past three seasons. Let me know how that goes.
Bishop also played behind a much better defence and defensive team.
I hate to be selective but I have to .

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'd probably do this as a Stars fan- Bishop is injured way too often and Freddie is off the books next summer. The Toronto market would eat Bishop alive.
The Toronto market eats most goalies alive, whether its deserved or not. If Steve Simmons gets under your skin, I suggest you grow a pair. Keep in mind, we also prop goalies up too. Belfour and Joseph are Leafs legends. Both were good goalies, but not exactly a threat to win a Vezina. People here don't hate Andersen, we know he's a good goalie. It's more of a move to change things up.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I'd probably do it on the leafs end. gives em a bit of security down the road.

Andersen is probably gonna want a Markstrom contract (6x6) in a year and thats kind of scary to think about as a dude that will be turning 32

well thought out trade idea
Andersen has done nothing to command a contract like that.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Bishop also played behind a much better defence and defensive team.
I hate to be selective but I have to .

Bishop had knee surgery in May ( couldn't do it earlier because of no selective surgeries allowed ) during the stoppage before it was clear the league would return at all. He just didn't get back in time. He tried but he was not ready to play when he did.

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
i am fine with Andersen playing goal for the Leafs this year. I'd rather wait and see if the expansion draft shakes loose some young talent in net for the Leafs to grab that could be cheaper & a true long term solution.

Reactions: horner

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The cost certainty would be a nice incentive for the Leafs, but Bishop's injury history and age would probably make me balk at this. Not sure we want to be on the hook for the last year or two of Bishop's contract. Not a slight on him, as he's a great goalie when he's on.

Intriguing idea, but I think I would pass and ride Freddy out for the year, were it up to me.

horner

May 22, 2007
i am fine with Andersen playing goal for the Leafs this year. I'd rather wait and see if the expansion draft shakes loose some young talent in net for the Leafs to grab that could be cheaper & a true long term solution.
And finally having a defence .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad