Rumor: Leafs and Oilers discussed Brown - Larsson

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Murphy is a terrible source/insider. He's eklund level.

With that said, the Oilers having interest in Brown shouldn't be a surprise. They desperately need wingers. He's capable of putting up better offensive numbers with more minutes as well. He would be a great "buy low" for a team like the Oilers.
He also had experience playing with #97.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Brown + Zaitsev for Larsson + Puljujarvi

Seems fair to me :naughty:

If some team can get Poolparty out of there before they ruin him...they will be a very happy team. I can see Dubas trying to sucker them in with maybe Brown+Rosen and a pick...if they went for it I am pretty sure we could fix him up and get his career on track.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I have watched a lot of Oilers game, poolparty needs a lot more AHL time, he reminds of Pierre Engvall.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but this completely BS. He isn't an insider. Rishaug is, and he said they were discussing a Brown for Benning trade.

Brown doesn't come close to Larsson.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Oilers fan here.

A Brown/Larsson deal is just not happening. Would you do Muzzin for Khaira/Kassian? Not to mention the awful value, if we trade Larsson our best RHD is Matt Benning. Gross.

Anyway, here's the scoop on Larsson. I think he'd be a great addition on the Leafs. He is very physical and would probably be your best defensive defenseman. The issue is his offense. His offensive iq is pretty bad, and he's got a muffin of a shot. That said, he can be a complimentary top-pairing defenseman if he's playing with someone better than him that can provide offense. Otherwise he's an average #3. And because the Leafs have good offensive LHD, I think he'd be a great fit there. He'd be an incredible fit with Rielly, and would stabilize a Gardiner pairing.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Oilers fan here.

A Brown/Larsson deal is just not happening. Would you do Muzzin for Khaira/Kassian? Not to mention the awful value, if we trade Larsson our best RHD is Matt Benning. Gross.

Anyway, here's the scoop on Larsson. I think he'd be a great addition on the Leafs. He is very physical and would probably be your best defensive defenseman. The issue is his offense. His offensive iq is pretty bad, and he's got a muffin of a shot. That said, he can be a complimentary top-pairing defenseman if he's playing with someone better than him that can provide offense. Otherwise he's an average #3. And because the Leafs have good offensive LHD, I think he'd be a great fit there. He'd be an incredible fit with Rielly, and would stabilize a Gardiner pairing.
Well we have other player(s) that can chip in offensively on the back end. Leafs need a reliable heavy duty player on the back end that is reliable and throws his weight around. Kinda like Jake Muzzin but playing on his actual respected side-on the right hand side. Larssons addition will totally revamp our back end and completely solidify this team. Nonetheless, connor brown being tossed around related to Larsson is a complete head scratcher and seems totally screwed up to me. Brown is useless so maybe this isnt credible information being tossed around. Typically you have to give to get.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Well we have other player(s) that can chip in offensively on the back end. Leafs need a reliable heavy duty player on the back end that is reliable and throws his weight around. Kinda like Jake Muzzin but playing on his actual respected side-on the right hand side. Larssons addition will totally revamp our back end and completely solidify this team. Nonetheless, connor brown being tossed around related to Larsson is a complete head scratcher and seems totally screwed up to me. Brown is useless so maybe this isnt credible information being tossed around. Typically you have to give to get.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts. The only deal I see between the Leafs and Oilers is Brown for Kassian + a 4th, or a 3rd straight up. Maybe Pulju+ for Johnsson during the offseason if their having cap trouble.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Other then McD and Dria is it wise to trade for anyone who plays for EDM? Whoever comes to TOR is going to need months of therapy.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but this completely BS. He isn't an insider. Rishaug is, and he said they were discussing a Brown for Benning trade.

Brown doesn't come close to Larsson.

The Larsson deal was supposed to include Jake Gardiner and futures added.

Something like Brown, Gardiner, Bracco, Liljegren for Larsson and Benning.

The Oilers get some futures for Larsson making up for the Hall disaster and the leafs unload Brown and Gardiner for a two d men including a RHD.

Last edited:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Listening to an oilers guy on 1050 and he said the rumoured move was: Matt Benning for Connor Brown.

benning1.png

benning2.png

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
This has been debunked by people in the know.

If there was any truth to this, there isnt, Gretzky would be confirming he isn't the man for the job.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
This clearly ends the debate! well said :)

Lol, there's nothing about Larsson's game except *maybe* deployment that would indicate "top-pairing".

He's bad offensively, and his defense is almost exactly as good as he is bad offensively, meaning he literally makes almost 0 overall impact on the game in the two ends. His transition game is respectable, which would be a nice change from the right side on our team.

Offensively, he'd be our 6th best defenseman (lol @ him being worse than Hainsey). Defensively he'd be our 3rd best (behind Gardiner & Dermott). In transition he'd be our 5th best.

Idk what about that screams 'top-pairing', but I think #4 is almost as right as possible. The great thing with an average #4 like Larsson is he'd fit great beside one of our three top-pairing LD, most likely Rielly as he's by far the worst defensively.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Larson would be a classic get me out of Edmonton I'll play to my potential player.

how many of those guys have we seen over the last decade. He is probably reminded every day he got traded for Hall.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
The deal wasn’t for Larsson. An Oilers insider confirmed today Matt Benning was offered for Brown which the Leafs rejected.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
If Brown was the best asset in the deal going to the Oilers the only way the Leafs could say no is if Lucic contract was being forced to be included. I don’t buy the rumour.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->