Proposal: Leafs and Islanders Wish

Would you make this trade if you were Dubas

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If I was moving Nylander I would just want one quality piece back...this is just a lot of stuff moving back and forth. I doubt NYI has a lot of interest either.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
My gut reaction to this proposal is that it's too busy.

Put differently, all four of Leivo, Gauthier, Hainsey, and Brown have very limited value to the Islanders. Toronto is dumping way too many bit parts and contracts it doesn't want, parts that the Islanders would decline to take back.

The Isles would have to be preparing for a Nylander contract ask in the $8M/yr range. Traded off a potential juggernaut, which has always been his fear and which explains his unwillingness to take a discount, he will certainly not give the Islanders a discount. So the Islanders will already have their own cap/budget juggling to do.

This is not a trade in which the Leafs will solve all their cap/contract limit issues. They are solving their cap issues by trading Nylander. That's the benefit to their cap. Limit it to that.

On value... I'm not sure that Nylander for Bailey and Pulock is a good deal for the NYI. Pulock is a very good player, and improving rapidly.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Isles have no need for bottom 6..we have way too many.....WAY too many...Nylander is NOT a franchise centre. He's prbably on the same level as RNH and RNH is smarter.

Sure except every season he’s had has been better than Hopkins 7 seasons...but sure that’s a good comparable lol

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
So essentially you traded the pieces of your team that you don't want plus Nylander for the pieces of the isles you do want.

Islanders are a worse team after this trade, Toronto doesn't really address their needs.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I am proposing a Number 1 Centre in Nylander to a team that doesn't have one. Lou was a fan of William and has lots of cap space. I say they get it done for 7m. Not a bad price for a potential Franchise Number One. I also think Brown and Leivo would have a chance to have better opportunity on the Island considering Brown is better than their bottom 6. Way more ice time. Maybe I'm delusional? Lol all in good fun.

Isles Barzal is developing very nicely into a #1 C.
And not trading Bailey or Pulock for several bottom six parts.

Nah,Toronto can keep their contract headache. Thanks all the same.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
You can keep Hainsey, Leivo and everything else besides the first and Nylander. The Isles will keep Pulock. Now that that’s figured out, let’s make something that Lou would actually accept, not more leftovers on bad contracts (there’s enough as it is).

I think Pulock is the piece Toronto would want.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
[QUOTE="nappyroot, post: 150959025, member: 56120"]I am proposing a Number 1 Centre in Nylander to a team that doesn't have one. Lou was a fan of William and has lots of cap space. I say they get it done for 7m. Not a bad price for a potential Franchise Number One. I also think Brown and Leivo would have a chance to have better opportunity on the Island considering Brown is better than their bottom 6. Way more ice time. Maybe I'm delusional? Lol all in good fun.[/QUOTE]thats funny, considering Barzal is better than Nylander

no interest sign him yourself

you give leaf fans a bad name fortunately not all of them are as clueless as you are to think Nylander is a #1 center while Simultaneously saying Barzal isnt

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Great for the leafs and bad for the Islanders? Is that what you are saying? What makes me ignorant, I thought up the trade not even convinced it would work and asked for opinions. Thanks for your constructive two cents, appreciated!
what made you ignorant is you werent aware that Barzal is a #1 center and nylander is not. could he possibly become one in the right situation, its possible but Barzal already is one

Barzal is already a point per game player for his career at Center, Nylander isnt even close, so yes your own words prove how ignorant you are, no self respecting Leaf fan would claim you

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
and yes of course dubas would do the trade he gets rid of a player he really cant afford for players who fit a need in Pulock and Bailey for a guy he doesnt need and cant really sign with Marner and Matthews needing new contracts. its too bad for you that Lamouriello would never consider it

any intelligent leaf fan could tell you that, Marner and Matthews are much more of a priority to sign than Nylander is.... he's a good player but with Matthews and Tavares hes an expensive luxury

Pulock would go right into your second pair and 2nd PP Bailey becomes the perfect LW for Tavares and Kadri.

and Nelson becomes the new 3C

and you get rid of a guy you really cant afford to sign in Nylander and a load of junk, so Dubas would need to be stoned on PCP to say no to that. and any leaf fan with half a brain knows it

Last edited:
Reactions: 12Dog

The Eternal Rebuild

Feb 25, 2014
Long Island
Isles fan here, sorry this trade makes no sense for us.

Pulock is a gigantic part of our future, if things break right he's a bonafide top pairing guy for us this year. And Bailey is a damn good player on a team friendly deal. Lou and Trotz have no plans on being bad past this year, and Bailey will be a huge part of them trying to put a playoff team on the ice next year.

If a trade between TOR/NYI were to go down, I honestly only see 2 ways, either...

1. You are okay with making Leddy the centerpiece of the deal

2. A 3 or 4 team deal goes down where basically you collect the assets we can get for Eberle and Nelson (unless you want either UFA). It wouldn't immediately get you the impact defenseman you need, but it would give you a ton of chips to get one before the trade deadline if this were to go down around Nylander's December 1st D Day Date. Figure Eberle could net a late 1st + a B prospect and Nelson could net a 2nd & 3rd.

That's the best we got, it's more of a luxury trade for the Isles. Otherwise enjoy the contract and cap drama.

The Eternal Rebuild

Feb 25, 2014
Long Island
If I was moving Nylander I would just want one quality piece back...this is just a lot of stuff moving back and forth. I doubt NYI has a lot of interest either.

The funny thing is outside of age and the chance that Nylander becomes really special, Bailey straight is a better solution for the Leafs for the next 5 years...

Nylander: 61p avg last 2 season, $7-8M AAV next 5 years

Bailey: 64p avg last 2 seasons, $5M AAV next 5 years, proven chemistry on JT's wing.

Just a thought....

Reactions: BelovedIsles

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
so leafs give up all that for a pending UFA they cant afford to resign, a RW that will be on their 3rd line making too much money, and a offensive RD that is basically a harder shooting but worse verion of Gardiner?

no thanks.a Nylander deal has to bring back a guy that is top 4 dman that is capable in his own end, Pulock isn't that

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Isles fan here, sorry this trade makes no sense for us.

Pulock is a gigantic part of our future, if things break right he's a bonafide top pairing guy for us this year. And Bailey is a damn good player on a team friendly deal. Lou and Trotz have no plans on being bad past this year, and Bailey will be a huge part of them trying to put a playoff team on the ice next year.

If a trade between TOR/NYI were to go down, I honestly only see 2 ways, either...

1. You are okay with making Leddy the centerpiece of the deal

2. A 3 or 4 team deal goes down where basically you collect the assets we can get for Eberle and Nelson (unless you want either UFA). It wouldn't immediately get you the impact defenseman you need, but it would give you a ton of chips to get one before the trade deadline if this were to go down around Nylander's December 1st D Day Date. Figure Eberle could net a late 1st + a B prospect and Nelson could net a 2nd & 3rd.

That's the best we got, it's more of a luxury trade for the Isles. Otherwise enjoy the contract and cap drama.

1. Nope. Unless the isles are Ok with Connor Brown +, the leafs arent interested in Leddy

2) 1st, 2nd, 3rd from a contending team from Nylander? thats even worse than the RFA compensation from a team trying to screw us with a 8mil x 5 year deal. also a no

you can keep that if thats the best you got. and yeah we will enjoy the contract, and drama that comes with having good players on a winning team. enjoy the next few years of non playoff hockey

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The funny thing is outside of age and the chance that Nylander becomes really special, Bailey straight is a better solution for the Leafs for the next 5 years...

Bailey: 64p avg last 2 seasons, $5M AAV next 5 years, proven chemistry on JT's wing.

Just a thought....

oh yeah? Josh bailey had a career high 41 pts after EIGHT years in the league. He has hit 60+ pts ONCE in 10 years, Nylander has done it twice....but Bailey is a better solution becase Bailey rode JT to a massive year (one where he didnt even get 20g?)
junk offer. enjoy thast contract when bailey is a 15g/35-40pt winger again making 5 mil x forever

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Not a Leafs or Islanders fan, but in my opinion the Islanders wouldn’t be interested in Hainsey, Leivo or Gauthier.

Simplify it as Pullock and Nelson for Nylander and Liljegren with maybe picks exchanged to balance value.

wow you managed to make an already bad deal even worse.

Nelson is an overpaid UFA we sont need

Pulock is a decent piece with 37pts in 90 games, but leafs arent giving up Nylander and their top D prospect.
Isles would have to give up pulock and a significant plus to get Nylander on his own. think dobson/wahlstrom or a unprotected 1st

keep nelson

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I’d do something around Bailey for Nylander. Bailey would fit nicely into that uber offense, has good chemistry w JT.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Just a thought....

Bailey is 29 right now, much more likely to decline while Nylander either is what he is or can improve for the next several years.

My stance (which means nothing) is that if Nylander is being traded, we should be shoring up defensively.

If we feel we need a winger at the deadline, there will be wingers there to choose from.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
most of the leaf fans in this thread know nothing about hockey.

teams know it will cost upward of 22M new dollars to sign Matthews and Marner, so they likely cant realistically give Nylander the deal he wants

Kessel and Horton are still on the payroll, and so is Marleau for another year, and Jake Gardiner is a pending free agent so to sign all of Matthews, Marner Nylander and Gardiner thats 30M conservatively. add to that the 6.5M that is still owed Kessel and Horton ( theres no LTIR in the summer guys) its obvious these particular leaf fans fail Math.

nobody is taking Horton or Marleau off your hands for free. and no one is gonna give you much for Nylander, knowing you cant sign him to the deal he wants, so where are you getting the money clowns

Marner and Matthews arent signing no bridge deals, nor should they

intelligent leaf fans know all this and they understand that what cap room they do have is earmarked to try and keep Matthews and Marner, at this point they are desparate to find a deal for Nylander they can live with, lest Matthews or Marner get offersheeted.

if im Arizona Im licking my chops waiting to do just that

leaf fans will deny, deny, deny of course. but anyone who can add sees the truth

imagine if all 3 of Nylander Matthews and Marner get offersheets?

then its Bye Gardiner, somebody please take Marleau and Horton,and at least one of
Matthews or Marner or Marner go unmatched, possibly 2 of them

but of course theyll deny, deny, deny

Last edited:
Reactions: The Winter Soldier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->