Leafs and Habs - who makes the playoffs this year?

Who will make the playoffs this season between the Habs and Leafs?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Simple enough poll - who makes the playoffs between those two teams.

20 games in - and we're seeing a bunch of "the sky is falling" reactions from Leafs town lately from their fans. They were supposed to be a top team again this year, yet currently are playing ~500 and out of a playoff spot. Season is still young and they could still win the division - but to hear some fan reactions you'd think they're dead in the water.

The Habs I think are a bit more predictable. They had a strong season last year but fell short of playoffs just barely. This year - they again seem to be doing really well, which is probably not too surprising - but the question remains, will they be able to keep this up and go the distance, or again fall just short?

Both teams have played 20 games. Which of these 2 teams make the playoffs this year?

As a longtime Habs fan - I added a bonus option 5 to the poll - which I'd guess 99% of Leafs/Habs fans would probably wish would happen. Not sure how likely that is though...

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Habs are surprising the shit out of me.If the offense sputters in some games we have one of the best goalies in the league to pull off the win anyways.
If we stay clear of injuries i see us making the playoffs.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Habs are surprising the **** out of me.If the offense sputters in some games we have one of the best goalies in the league to pull off the win anyways.
If we stay clear of injuries i see us making the playoffs.
Habs shouldn’t give up a lot of goals. They’ve finally gotten a bit of offense now.. I like their chances.

For me, the Habs are the team that nobody wants to play in the first round.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
A week ago I would have TOR makes it and MTL misses. Now I find it hard to believe that. I'd like to see both make it and play each other at some point (even though I don't like the Canadiens at all), but MTL probably has a better chance of qualifying TBH.

Reactions: Crabapple

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
A week ago I would have TOR makes it and MTL misses. Now I find it hard to believe that. I'd like to see both make it and play each other at some point (even though I don't like the Canadiens at all), but MTL probably has a better chance of qualifying TBH.

I still think this is probably the case.

People are really overlooking that both Taveras and Barrie are very far below their worst season PDO so far this season and that won't last.

Toronto looks off, like TB looked earlier this season but they have the horses to turn it around.

The Habs are a hot/cold team with little rhyme or reason, losing to the Sabers/Wings then beating the Blues early in the season and more recently beating Washington easily then losing to New Jersey.

I have no idea on what the habs are really like yet.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

People are really overlooking that both Taveras and Barrie are very far below their worst season PDO so far this season and that won't last.

Toronto looks off, like TB looked earlier this season but they have the horses to turn it around.

The Habs are a hot/cold team with little rhyme or reason, losing to the Sabres/Wings then beating the Blues early in the season and more recently beating Washington easily then losing to New Jersey.

Why are you putting the Sabres in the same category as the Wings

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Voted neither.
Maybe if i didn't watch them i'd have more confidence. :laugh:

Mar 26, 2010
Montreal will be in the playoffs this season. They have the goaltending.

Toronto will miss as long as Babcock is behind the bench. Also the fact the goaltending, D and forwards look like they don’t care about nothing but contracts.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I always find it funny how quick people are to change their opinions around here. 2 weeks ago less than 10% of voters felt that Leafs would make the playoffs and Habs wouldn't.

Also - over 75% of people thought the Habs would make the playoffs, and only 35% felt the Leafs would make the playoffs.

I bet if I made this same poll today - over 80% of voters would say Leafs make it and Habs don't.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Montreal - lacking star power minus Price, lacking defensive depth
Toronto - No 2-way center, no skating defensive D, lacking defensive depth, no energy/pk/role Line.

It's a toss up IMO

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I always find it funny how quick people are to change their opinions around here. 2 weeks ago less than 10% of voters felt that Leafs would make the playoffs and Habs wouldn't.

Also - over 75% of people thought the Habs would make the playoffs, and only 35% felt the Leafs would make the playoffs.

I bet if I made this same poll today - over 80% of voters would say Leafs make it and Habs don't.
Although not wrong, things have swung pretty rapidly in the standings as well.

Leafs going 4-1 with new coach.
Habs losing 8 in a row.
Panthers have gone .500 since thread was started and 1-3 in the last 4 games.
Buffalo went 2-4-2 since thread was started.

Perfect storm of Leafs gaining some valuable ground and Habs absolutely free-falling.

Mar 26, 2010
Changed my vote, with Babcock fired this is a different Leafs team. The Leafs should make the playoffs now.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Leafs make the playoffs but are taken out in the first round once again.
Habs miss playoffs and draft 15th overall.
The suckitude will continue for both franchises.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Habs are in free fall right now and it's not looking good, I think the habs will miss but the Leafs will make it.

Pretty much this for me as well.

The Leafs have too much talent and will make it, the Habs are really a middling team and won't get a high enough draft pick to turn it around any time soon either.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I don't have much doubt that the Lightning and Leafs replace the Sabres and Panthers.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN

The Habs are a hot/cold team with little rhyme or reason, losing to the Sabres/Wings then beating the Blues early in the season and more recently beating Washington easily then losing to New Jersey.

Lumping the sabres with the wings yet buffalo is in a playoff spot and not even wildcard their third.

I don’t think buffalo makes the playoffs but their not at Detroit level.

I was the only one who called the leafs struggles in the summer it seems and it’s not because I dislike them I’ve predicted them to be a division winner every year petty much until this year since Matthews era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad